California Congressman admits to taking bribes

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
Link.

I'm a little surprised this isn't front page news, but I guess Americans don't really care that much about being scammed by their politicians.

So that makes three GOP congressman who have been indicted recently, though this guy is the first to actually admit it. Who is next, I wonder...a Democrat maybe?

its only a congressman, people only care about senators ;) its good that another crooked politicain is out of the game though.

I was just watching his 'speech' on FOXNews. They gave it pretty comprehensive coverage.

Regarding who will be next, I really don't think party matters when it comes to corruption. Remember that fellow from Chicago a few years back? Dan something or other?

VRWCAgent said:
I was just watching his 'speech' on FOXNews. They gave it pretty comprehensive coverage.

Regarding who will be next, I really don't think party matters when it comes to corruption. Remember that fellow from Chicago a few years back? Dan something or other?

Maybe the TV news channels are giving it more coverage. I heard about it on NPR but it took me some digging to find it on CNN.com...

I don't think party matters either, but it really doesn't look good for the GOP since this seems to be a common thing over the last couple months...

Thing is, republicans always portray themselves as the party of morals and law and order. For that reason, whenever a Republican gets caught with his hand in the till, it's bigger news just for the potential hypocrit factor.

George Bush even takes bribes... that is so obvious... or don't you consider party sponsoring money during the election campaigns as bribes? If those companies wouldn't expect to get something in return for it, they simply wouldn't pay this money.

The entire American government is corrupt as hell and definitely up for some reengineering of the system. I'm not even talking about Republican or Democrats, it's all the same, no matter which party is in charge. The way the election system is organized won't make it possible to change it either, especially since there are only 2 'real' parties to choose from.

And even those 2 parties aren't very different from each other, you can choose between a very right winged party and a slightly less very right winged party.

VRWCAgent said:
Thing is, republicans always portray themselves as the party of morals and law and order. For that reason, whenever a Republican gets caught with his hand in the till, it's bigger news just for the potential hypocrit factor.

True. Though, I wouldn't doubt it if the Democrats tried that line for the next few years since they have plenty of ammunition now.

eyrei said:
So that makes three GOP congressman who have been indicted recently, though this guy is the first to actually admit it. Who is next, I wonder...a Democrat maybe?
Can't rule it out, but in general, I expect the 00's to be a decade of corrupt Republicans. Not because Republicans are any more prone to corruption than Democrats, but because they happen to be in power. Let's face it, if you're going to bribe someone, you want to bribe someone who can actually make things happen. Right now, Democrats don't fall into that category. ;)

Little Raven said:
Can't rule it out, but in general, I expect the 00's to be a decade of corrupt Republicans. Not because Republicans are any more prone to corruption than Democrats, but because they happen to be in power. Let's face it, if you're going to bribe someone, you want to bribe someone who can actually make things happen. Right now, Democrats don't fall into that category. ;)

Good point. I imagine though that GOP lawyers are doing a great deal of research trying to find something the dems did wrong years ago, just to even things out.

eyrei said:
Good point. I imagine though that GOP lawyers are doing a great deal of research trying to find something the dems did wrong years ago, just to even things out.
Remember back years ago when these sorts of hit teams were only around during the elections?

Kayak said:
Remember back years ago when these sorts of hit teams were only around during the elections?

Yeah, but I actually like them doing it all the time. The more damage they do to each other the better for the rest of us. ;)

How way old? It just happened.

I can't wait till we fix campaign finance laws, although I don't think they'll ever fix it sufficiently.

Personally, I want Barack Obama or Senator McCain to be president for 2008.

Haha... Republican Culture of Corruption.

Capulet said:
Haha... Republican Culture of Corruption.
I think gloating about this one is sort of like exulting that you have climbed an iceberg in warm water.

eyrei said:
Link.

I'm a little surprised this isn't front page news, but I guess Americans don't really care that much about being scammed by their politicians.

We already know that they are all criminals. It does not require that they are actually caught in the act.

Top Bottom