Can Civ5 become the best Civ of all time once it is fully polished?

Can Civ5 become the best Civ of all time once it is fully polished?

• Yes! Fully polished, Civ5 will clearly be the best Civ game ever!

Votes: 150 54.7%
  • No. It will be a decent game but will not be better than the fully polished Civ4: BTS

Votes: 69 25.2%
  • No! I cannot imagine Civ5 ever becoming a decent game even when fully polished.

Votes: 55 20.1%

• Total voters

polypheus

Prince
I've been playing Civ since Civ1 and have played all versions since then. And although each version had issues when first released, the "foundation" that was laid always led to it becoming IMHO the best version of Civ up to that time once that version was fully polished with the latest bug fixes, all expansion packs released and a large library of fully developed mods. This is because IMHO each succeeding version added significant features that enhanced the game tremendously while changing or eliminating features that proved weak.

But with so much criticism of Civ5, I wonder if this trend will continue or if Civ5's foundation is so "weak" that no amount of modding or plausible expansion packs can rectify it!

(Note that this discussion is only about single-player games so no talking about MP in this thread please, thanks.)

Now I realize that there are already tons of threads criticizing Civ5 but this one is different. Here I am NOT talking about Civ5 as it stands now with all its bugs and "loopholes" and such. There are many threads on this and many of these issues can and will be addressed in future patches, expansion packs and mods. What I am talking about is when once Civ5 is "finalized" and fully polished in a couple of years with the latest bug fixes, tweaks, plausible expansion packs, a large library of developed mods if Civ5 can AT THAT POINT become the best Civ ever based on its fundamental core design?

Well I have my doubts.

First I'm going to run through all the previous Civ versions and explain why I felt that each successive version laid the foundation for the best Civ up to that point:

Civ2:
The tech tree was expanded, lots more units were added. But the main change here was adding of HP and firepower to units. The AI was also improved so that it actually had to go through the same process of development as the human. (Civ1 for instance, had AIs gifted with wonders for example). No breakthrough concepts were introduced so Civ2 was basically a much enhanced version of Civ1 but it was clearly better in every way.

Civ3:
Rather than simply an enhanced version of Civ2, Civ3 had major new changes that added tremendous depth and complexity to the game and all were for the better! Breakthrough concepts are the addition of the mechanism of culture and the concept of strategic and luxury resources. Also the concept of "happiness" was added. Diplomacy was enhanced greatly with MPP, trades, etc. War underwent significant changes too such as a mission model for aircraft, armies, bombardment, conscription and making military units supported nationally by gold (no more stupid "home city" support via excess shields!) These were huge additions that clearly made this version the best at the time!

So far so good!. I believe with VERY few dissenters, clearly Civ3 >> Civ2 > Civ1!

Okay now we get to Civ4:
The major new concept is religion. The vanilla implementation was flawed but this was a major new mechanic that when done right via mods was a major enhancement IHMO in adding depth and a feeling of historical immersion into the game. Diplomacy was enhanced to be more transparent so that it felt more sensible rather than being opaque and random. One major change also was the concept of maintenance cost per city rather than per building which was a huge improvement in finally eliminating the cheesy Infinite City Spam strategy once and for all. Combat was enhanced with the concept of promotions. Government types is also expanded to be 2-dimensional in the form of Civics rather than the 1-dimension all encompassing government types of Civ1-3. Also added was Great People concept. Health was added as a new concept. And expansion packs added great stuff like colonies, vassalage and corporations!

Unlike Civ2->Civ3, Civ4 was mostly more of a major enhancement to Civ3 than an almost completely new game. But the enhancements were very significant and IMHO made Civ4 clearly better than Civ3. When I first got Civ4, it was full of bugs and bad AI, but I knew that EVENTUALLY once Civ4 was fully polished, it would clearly be the best Civ yet due to its strong foundation! And I feel that for the majority: Civ4 > Civ3 >> Civ2 > Civ1!

Okay now we get to Civ5:
Civ 5 represents a major break from Civ3/4. Some changes I think are definitely for the better. Hexes >> Square Tiles. One tile at a time expansion > Fat cross expansion. Joint research >> tech trading/brokering. Quantified strategic resources >> one unit of resource representing infinite quantity for one's own needs. City-states although flawed also has potential to be a great addition once fully polished.

As for 1UPT, ranged combat and embarkment, I have mixed feelings on this. Fully polished it may be all for the better but it is still deeply flawed and I don't know if the flaws can be fully rectified.

But Civ5 also has many major changes that are clearly a step backwards. Diplomacy has now reverted more or less to the Civ3 opaque model. Happiness is now streamlined to be empire-wide. To me, this is a major regression because while Civ4 models the fact that different parts of your empire has different levels of happiness which is more "realistic" and has more depth, Civ5 dumbs it down to be empire wide. There is now no more slider to model the decision of how to budget between science, happiness and culture. Also the social policy system IMHO is a regression to the old Civ1-Civ3 type of all simple encompassing government. Rather than being 2-dimensional, it is now once again linear and one-dimensional but just of greater length!

I hope I'm wrong but it just isn't clear that EVEN ONCE POLISHED, Civ5 > Civ4. The changes that are indisputably improvements aren't major breakthrough concepts that significantly enhance the game. 1UPT is the major change but it isn't clear that it is a clear improvement because it is fundamentally flawed when implemented for a strategic level game.

And the changes that IMHO are regressions in the game take away the empire-building aspect of the game that most enjoy into a glorified Panzer General. Civ5 now, to me, feels more like Civilization: Panzel General than a true Civ5 which is clear better than all others. It feels more like a dumbed down game that less immersive and has less depth than Civ4. Unless Civ5 expansion packs add much significantly new concepts and enhancements, I have doubts that Civ5 > Civ4! The only way Civ 5 > Civ 4 is if the expansion packs change Civ 5 so much that that it is in essence creating Civ6!

So for everyone, especially critics of Civ5 AS IT STANDS NOW, do you feel that in a few years time, Civ5 has the "foundation" to become the best Civ of all time? Does the core changes of Civ5 enable the best potential Civ5 mods to be better than the best Civ4 mods? Or do you feel that Civ5 is too fundamentally flawed and represents a step backwards that is simply can't be rectified without almost wholesale changes?

Civ 5 is a hybrid of Civ 3 and Civ 4 with a blend of new ideas.

I always felt Civ 3 was the best in the series (even though die hards push for Civ 2). Civ 3 was the most complete game out of the box with Civ 4 being the worst out of the box.

I am really anticipating the next couple patches to fix some of the gameplay mechanics for Civ 5.

Things just off the top of my head that need fixing:

-AI
-Trade options with civs
-Trade options with city states
-a couple unit tweaks
-optimization to the calculations in the huge games

None of these require an expansion, so the polish will come for free.

Hmm... I would say once it is fully polished, it will probably rival Civ IV. I won't say it will be better, because they are two completely different games. At the moment there are a lot of problems with Civ V, but it does have potential.

It can become decent title later on, I'm sure.

Hard to say but modding, at least, is much easier with Civ V than IV. I've already obtained or written partial fixes for many of the issues in Civ V.

It could become pretty good but that depends on whether the developers are prepared to do some serious about-facing on a lot of the decisions they seemed very proud of in the pre-release marketing flurry.

See - I think this is too subjective a question to be meaningful...

Ultimately, for me -- there's probably no way. I just don't like the "top down" mechanics that took a lot of out of the cities and boiled it up to an empire-level progress bar and I don't like the rigidity/no going back way SPs replaced civics/government.

BUT - that's me. It's my judgment and I think I've now played enough where I feel confidant saying that for me personally, there's no getting around it. I prefer the city level dynamic and I like a malleable government system (I'm fine with severe penalties for changes, though).

Some people prefer the new systems, though. I'm just not among them and I don't see any way features can be added, bugs fixed, etc that will add me to that boat.

Both perfectly valid viewpoints.... of course, I'm going to keep complaining in the hopes of winning converts so that VI goes back in MY direction when it comes to design!:lol:

See - I think this is too subjective a question to be meaningful...

Of course! The question is entirely subjective and I am not claiming it is anything more than a matter of personal opinion. Still that is the whole point of the poll is to gauge people's opinions and so I don't see how it is not a meaningful question.

Rather I feel it is a "fundamental" question of whether people who feel that Civ5 < Civ4 NOW, feel that when polished, it can become the best Civ ever. Or if, as you seem to suggest, it is too fundamentally flawed in your INDIVIDUAL SUBJECTIVE OPINION and represents a step backwards to you personally?

Civ 5 is a hybrid of Civ 3 and Civ 4 with a blend of new ideas.

I always felt Civ 3 was the best in the series (even though die hards push for Civ 2). Civ 3 was the most complete game out of the box with Civ 4 being the worst out of the box.

I agree with this completely. But still although Civ4 was the "worst out of the box", it was also clear, at least to me RIGHT AWAY, once it was fully polished that Civ4 would eventually be better than Civ3. And I think most people would agree that Civ4: BTS > Civ3: Conquests.

It is FAR FROM CLEAR that Civ5: "Final Version" will ever be better than Civ4: BTS!

Of course! The question is entirely subjective and I am not claiming it is anything more than a matter of personal opinion. Still that is the whole point of the poll is to gauge people's opinions and so I don't see how it is not a meaningful question.

Rather I feel it is a "fundamental" question of whether people who feel that Civ5 < Civ4 NOW, feel that when polished, it can become the best Civ ever. Or if, as you seem to suggest, it is too fundamentally flawed in your INDIVIDUAL SUBJECTIVE OPINION and represents a step backwards to you personally?

'K. Fair enough... You can guess how I voted ;-)

I don't know I think it would be quite easy to fix Civ 5 and make it by far the best Civ.

1. Bring back an improved version of espionage.
2. Bring back an improved and expanded version of religion.
3. Fix 1upt to something better. Stacks with limitations/penalties for example, which make insta-heal pointless, which is good.
4. Bring back health.
5. Fix tile yields and resource yields (especially food resources).
6. Decrease build times of buildings at least, and add more buildings.
7. Bring back AI with personality.
8. Bring back improved version of vassal states.
9. Decrease the time it takes for borders to culturally expand.
10. Improve AI.
11. Change civics to an improved and expanded Civ 4 type system.
12. Bring back international trade routes.
13. Fix diplomacy, if you can't use technologies to leverage a Civ to do something for you, implement some other type of system.

I think there are a LOT of mistakes in the game (Boring resources, boring wonders, etc) that could be fixed to massively improve the gameplay. I would argue that it COULD BE a better game than 4 if these things are modified, and then maybe introducing more elements to the game with an expansion or two.

So I did vote yes. It could. I don't think it is 'clear' that it will as the vote option says for some reason. It's like how doom3 wasn't a great game, but you were excited for someone to make a new game with the same engine. FFH3 or analog?

I don't know I think it would be quite easy to fix Civ 5 and make it by far the best Civ.

1. Bring back an improved version of espionage.
2. Bring back an improved and expanded version of religion.
3. Fix 1upt to something better. Stacks with limitations/penalties for example, which make insta-heal pointless, which is good.
4. Bring back health.
5. Fix tile yields and resource yields (especially food resources).
6. Decrease build times of buildings at least, and add more buildings.
7. Bring back AI with personality.
8. Bring back improved version of vassal states.
9. Decrease the time it takes for borders to culturally expand.
10. Improve AI.
11. Change civics to an improved and expanded Civ 4 type system.
12. Bring back international trade routes.
13. Fix diplomacy, if you can't use technologies to leverage a Civ to do something for you, implement some other type of system.

This IMHO would have been the right approach for Civ V. Going from 4 hexes to 6 and implementing a major graphics upgrade is much more than just patching BTS. Then, if you go to work on improving the tedium of the endgame (self-transporting units, improved hot keys and rally point functionality, less reliance on SODs while preserving the strategic scale of the game) and improving the AI by making it less reliant on bonuses and improving it's tile development (which also frees up the player from babysitting workers as much) you are well on your way to a game that would make most people forget all about BTS.

This IMHO would have been the right approach for Civ V. Going from 4 hexes to 6 and implementing a major graphics upgrade is much more than just patching BTS. Then, if you go to work on improving the tedium of the endgame (self-transporting units, improved hot keys and rally point functionality, less reliance on SODs while preserving the strategic scale of the game) and improving the AI by making it less reliant on bonuses and improving it's tile development (which also frees up the player from babysitting workers as much) you are well on your way to a game that would make most people forget all about BTS.

Even with the diplomatic and military AI limitations --- I can safely say that I'd been absolutely thrilled if they'd have taken BTS, changed to a hex map, implemented 1UpT... and maybe added SPs in addition to govts.

I think the BTS end-game tedium was really just unit bloat (by the point turns start taking minutes, it is tedious to have hundreds of units to move). 1UpT resolves that largely, IMHO.

I say "Yes" Civ5 can be the best Civ yet but it's not JUST about polish....some pretty serious changes are gonna have to be made the the gameplay mechanics to get there.

The problem is not the code but the philosophy....can you patch and XP a core philosophy? I don't know....but I actually have faith that they will (for some reason)

So I did vote yes. It could. I don't think it is 'clear' that it will as the vote option says for some reason.

The thread title is very different than the available poll answers.

1. Yes! Fully polished, Civ5 will clearly be the best Civ game ever!
vs
2. Can Civ5 become the best Civ of all time once it is fully polished?

Answer to one: No, at this point I can't say it "will clearly be the best".
Answer to two: Yes it "can" be the best.

The thread title is very different than the available poll answers.

1. Yes! Fully polished, Civ5 will clearly be the best Civ game ever!
vs
2. Can Civ5 become the best Civ of all time once it is fully polished?

Answer to one: No, at this point I can't say it "will clearly be the best".
Answer to two: Yes it "can" be the best.

Semantically, I suppose you're right. I guess I should have written the answers to contain the word "can" instead of "will". Still I think you and others should understand what I've getting at which is Civ5's potential to become the best Civ once it is fully polished. So with that in mind you clearly feel that it has the potential to be the best. That's all that I am asking here just to clarify to everyone.

To reiterate, I think that one fundamental change that is at the heart of Civ5 is the global happiness mechanic. Zonk says it best in another thread so I will quote him here:
Zonk said:
In a nutshell - city management was boiled up to global levels. Only food remains localized at the city level. I'm coming around to the idea that this isn't "dumbed down" -- it's just different -- but I still don't like it.

Everything now feels like you're basically just filling up "progress bars" -- culture, science, and happiness are now just global empire bars to fill any way you can... you build things in cities, but it doesn't really matter WHICH city (i.e., a coliseum in your small city has the same impact as it does in your biggest).

There's a balancing mechanism, of course - but again, it's empire level, not city level. Even the one mechanism left at the city level -- growth -- is frankly out of place.

Not my cup of tea... I just think that cities were always the core management of Civilization, the series, and that's largely been lost.

This is a real problem that I see. No matter what kind of mod or expansion packs comes along, it must have this as its fundamental mechanism because it is at the heart of Civ5. We are not talking here of tweaks or such this feature is what makes Civ5 to be Civ5. And it is a step backwards and I can't see how to fix that (assuming you agree with me and Zonk that this is a fundamental drawback of Civ5).

Because by making happiness a empire-wide mechanic, you have essentially dumbed down and over-streamlined something that really has more depth and makes more sense to be an individual city aspect. In "reality" happiness is often very much a localized function. And removing that to make it global is just a huge regression.

Top Bottom