Can I conquer a Station?

It seemed like in one of the videos, a station disappeared - under siege worm attack? There were definitely two blocking off most of the productive river, then later without any explanation there was only 1.

On that note, could covert ops missions be performed on stations?
"Activate the Thumper!", or "Ignite the Dirty Bomb!"

Yeah, looks like stations might be more of a nuisance than a benefit. I saw in the videos that there are quests that allow you to choose one station settlement over another. It would be nice if they showed you where they planned to settle.

Or, what would be an equally valid reason, to prevent too short (and therfore safe) trading routes. With at least 3 tiles between stations and cities, there is always some danger of plundered (by aliens or by enemies) caravans.

This makes a bunch of sense. A 1- or 2-tile trade route would be pretty silly.

Maybe the issue is the map-script then? Between the stations, the addition of canyons, plus mountains and lots of ocean, it seems like your expansion space is really restricted from the get-go, even for 3-4 city tall play.

Yeah, looks like stations might be more of a nuisance than a benefit. I saw in the videos that there are quests that allow you to choose one station settlement over another. It would be nice if they showed you where they planned to settle.

Or gave you an option of where the station is placed, a la the landing zone for the initial settlement.

I would think that Stations with a 1 Tile Range would result in annoying Station Warfare with the AI forward settling and starting a City Growth War everywhere.

It seemed like in one of the videos, a station disappeared - under siege worm attack? There were definitely two blocking off most of the productive river, then later without any explanation there was only 1.

This. Pete plays the same game in livestream #3 and #4 to show off harmony, and you'll notice in #4 a station he was unimpressed by in #3 is missing. Of course, we don't know if it's missing because aliens attacked it, a player attacked it, if border expansion made it go away, if they naturally disappear after awhile, or just because an invisible noodly appendage reached down to remove it from the map (in my version of the story Pete went off his meds and xenotitan smashed it in a rage just before livestream #4 btw), but at the very least they don't appear to be permanent fixtures like city-states were in CiV. I would assume aliens can attack and destroy them, and would hope the player/AIs can do the same at risk of a diplomatic penalty.

Hope u can conquer stations (or they have to change the 3 tiles found radius to 2) because i hate it when i want to settle somewhere and i find out that a station settled 10 turns before me... on or near the spot i wanted to settle.
I usually stay "small" with 10 city's max in a game so i can't afford to settle in a "less" optimal spot.

Hope u can conquer stations (or they have to change the 3 tiles found radius to 2) because i hate it when i want to settle somewhere and i find out that a station settled 10 turns before me... on or near the spot i wanted to settle.
I usually stay "small" with 10 city's max in a game so i can't afford to settle in a "less" optimal spot.

I doubt you can conquer them... I would be surprised if you could not destroy them though.

I wonder if this Might Virtue would enable you to overtake Station too? -> Liberation Army: after conquering an enemy outpost, automatically found an outpost of your own in its place.

I wonder if this Might Virtue would enable you to overtake Station too? -> Liberation Army: after conquering an enemy outpost, automatically found an outpost of your own in its place.

From the text, no (since stations and outposts areseparate things)
But in principle, sure (although I hope you can 'remobilize' that new outpost)

Only so long as there is no "station-destroying-warmonger-penalty".

Why wouldn't there be? It is technically its own independent entity created by a sponsor for the sole benefit of trading with it, and even without trading with it is still something useful to other sponsors. Do you know how bad it would look if a foreign nation went to an Antarctic research base belonging to another nation and completely ransacked it? Years of research-destroyed. A toy factory; a foreign car-manufacturer; a book publisher's office; an agricultural research firm? Even worse for that nation on the receiving end. No, I think that there will be a war-monger or separate penalty for destroying stations. Likewise, I would think that both you and I would take it as an offense if someone destroyed a station near us.

Since Stations functionally replace City-States, it's reasonable to expect that the diplomatic hooks that are already in there for City-States will be repurposed for Stations. So no doubt we can expect to be spammed by the AI with messages about trading with Stations they are friendly with, etc.

As far as diplomatic penalties... I never found the City-State-oriented diplomatic penalties to have any substance. That always seemed to be a red herring; it never amounted to more than noise.

Since Stations functionally replace City-States, it's reasonable to expect that the diplomatic hooks that are already in there for City-States will be repurposed for Stations. So no doubt we can expect to be spammed by the AI with messages about trading with Stations they are friendly with, etc.

As far as diplomatic penalties... I never found the City-State-oriented diplomatic penalties to have any substance. That always seemed to be a red herring; it never amounted to more than noise.

The Warmonger penalty for them was large. Because that was technically the last city of a civ. (so major Warmonger Penalty in BNW)

Hopefully it will be a lot less
1. its not a city (I expect much reduced and similar Warmonger penalty for taking Outposts/Stations)
2. It really only affects those who were/were planning to trade with it.

However, they are very different than CS
So far it seems
1. they can't declare war (they don't have units)
2. they don't have any "Allies" all trading partners are "Friends" and get the same benefits
3. They don't seem to have any 'influence levels', it seems to only be "are you trading with us or not" (maybe if you attack them, then they and other stations may give you 'negative influence' that takes a while to decline and results in an 'embargo')

I don't understand, why would you want to destroy a station? 1 of your many possible trade routes with them can give you so many bonuses without any of the penalties of owning another city. If there is good land around the station, it only takes up 1 tile, so you can place a city close enough to grab the surrounding land and immediately have a strong trading partner next door.

Imagine having the station that gives you 2 combat units every trade cycle only 4 tiles away. Insta-army.

I don't understand, why would you want to destroy a station? 1 of your many possible trade routes with them can give you so many bonuses without any of the penalties of owning another city. If there is good land around the station, it only takes up 1 tile, so you can place a city close enough to grab the surrounding land and immediately have a strong trading partner next door.

Imagine having the station that gives you 2 combat units every trade cycle only 4 tiles away. Insta-army.

It has a 3 tiles radius around it that no city can be founded in. Thats a bummer if it has good tile all around it in both directions (like the station in solar gamers play next to the nest in the infested zone). Also you might want to destroy a station to deny it to your enemy (i.e. if it periodically gives him units or a lot of production.

Top Bottom