Can someone make a 1 unit mod that brings back Aegis Cruisers?

ChickenSalad

Chieftain
Hey,

I have no idea how difficult it'd be but it'd be great if someone could make a mod that does not much more but re-introduce the Aegis Cruiser.

Why?
Cos atm. there's no distinct convoy defense vessel in C4 BtS. Problems with naval forces are atm. that:
a) stealth destroyers don't defend convoys unless the attacker can see the stealth destroyer
b) (standard) destroyer being obsoleted and therefore can't get built after researching Stealth
c) missile cruisers being a suboptimal choice for convoy defence since an empty transport will always be chosen as defender if there's a cruise missile loaded on the missile cruiser

You can read a lengthy discussion on the issue starting on bottom of this page:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=246057&page=68

With the Aegis Cruiser reintroduced, we'd have a complete set of naval forces available:
Transport - transportation
Aegis - convoy defense
Missile Cruiser - convoy offense
Stealth Destroyer / Subs - stealth tasks

I'd say the Aegis should cost about as much as the Stealth Destroyer but be slightly stronger, have a chance to intercept planes and be able to spot submarines (but not stealth destoyers, if that's possible, if it's the same code then oh well, let em see SD's as well).

The Aegis should become available earliest when Missile Cruisers become available and latest around the time the Stealth Destroyers become available. Doesn't have to be the same tech branch, making Aegis avail. with Robotics would be fine (that's the way it was in CIII).

Also, I'd say Destroyers should be upgradeable to either Stealth or Aegis, but not Missile Cruisers.

As for gfx, no clue if any of you could make a new 3D unit but I'd guess painting the destroyer black or such would do the trick.

Well, so much for my idea. If anyone could implement it, that'd be awesome.
Cheers! :)

Top Bottom