Can you instigate the AI into declaring war?

Its a pity you cant "demand tribute for our patience" like in civ2 because that often got them declaring war on you

Its a pity you cant "demand tribute for our patience" like in civ2 because that often got them declaring war on you

You can, although it's a bit different. Renegotiate peace and attach a gold value to it. Of course, it's you declaring, not them.

another rare one but a goody... if your enemy has a colony, park a unit on the road to it and continually raze it (assuming it is outside enemy borders, of course).
Is this still on the subject of 'trying to piss them off'? Because this is perfectly safe; you can do it to friends and enemies alike, and they won't like you less for it.
Last one... I think the computer knows who is behind pirate ships and gets angry at the offending nation.
No, hidden nationality is hidden nationality.

No, hidden nationality is hidden nationality.

The AI won't go to war over privateer attacks but they do know that they're your ships and it will affect their attitude towards you. I've built large fleets of privateers and went out on raids on enemy ships. I thought that I would be completely protected from any consequences because of the "hidden nationality" but after a while, all of the AI started getting pissed at me for no reason.

Well, you could be right. I know an AI nation can be very friendly to you, but sink your Privateers. Also they're not declaring war on you when they do that, so I always assumed they really don't know who you are.
If still your attitude goes down because of your Privateers, then I really don't know how they programmed this. I take no argument with you, Globex, but it seems inconsistant.

Oh, trust me, nations get pissy at me after I break out the pirate ships. If the AI knows about one barbarian camp springing up halfway across the map, I think it knows who is launching privateers, especially since the AI never uses them.

And I'm pretty sure I've pissed off nations with the road-to-the-colony razing stunt before. Not to the point where they go to war, but they definitely go from 'polite' to 'annoyed' or worse.

Yes, I believe you on the 'hidden nationality' thing. I found a thread that fully supports your opinion: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284473. It appears 'hidden nationality' is not 'hidden nationality'. Firaxis has been misleading us with that. A poor job of them!
I never built many Privateers, and now I know this, I doubt whether I'll ever build another one. You could quite likely trick an AI into declaring war on you, but the shields would be much better used for something else.

I'm not yet convinced there can be a penalty for pillaging in neutral terrain, but I'll keep your comments in mind.

If the AI knows about one barbarian camp springing up halfway across the map, I think it knows who is launching privateers, especially since the AI never uses them.

Ah, actually, the AI uses privateers all the time in my games, sometimes quite large fleets--certainly when I sink them, they just build more to keep up.

I only build them for my own amusement & consider them a waste of time otherwise.

kk

Yeah, I've seen the AI use them too. Not often, but occasionally I go through a rash of AI Privateers.

Yeah, I recently saw a privateer come out of a city, attack an old galley of mine, and then go back into the city. And my so-called "ally" didn't think I could figure out who did it?

Yeah, I recently saw a privateer come out of a city, attack an old galley of mine, and then go back into the city. And my so-called "ally" didn't think I could figure out who did it?

What really pisses me off about that is I can't let them know that I know like they can let me know that they know when my privateer sinks some of their boats.

Yes, but... do you know if they know that you could know who's really attacking you, even though you know and I know that you do know? I think no... :mischief:

lol... well, I doubt they have time to look at the colors of the flag painted on the side of your ICBM before it screams back into the atmosphere at 10x the speed of sound and ends their city in nuclear holocaust :lol: Besides, IRL we would know who launched nukes at us based on seeing launch signatures and radar-tracing the missile path back to the launch point. Assuming a declaration of war wasn't announced first.

Its as obvious as watching a pirate ship sail out of port, attack your ship, then sail back in, or sail out from behind an enemy stack of ships and do the same.

Top Bottom