Can you turn off or reroll names? Japan in China Sea

King Phaedron

Warlord
All the waters around my Japan are being called the East China Sea... and China isn't even in the game!

What a surprise that China is laying claim to waters it doesn't own, even when it's not in the game. I suppose it's fitting.

This is really Lame though, from a design perspective. Why should something be named after a CIV that isn't even on the map?
I have a volcano that was named Mt Fuji, so at least they are half trying to get it right, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Is there a way to turn off the names of Seas, or randomly reroll them mid game?

I'm actually at the beginning, and restarted several times. I got the best possible stuff from the goody huts on my little island, so I won't restart again.

I guess I'll just have to put up with Xi Jinping-bob Winnie the Pooh pants laying claim to my waters... What will he capture next?

chinasea.jpg

The East China Sea borders Japan in real life, so I'm pretty sure it might be on their list of named features.
You can toggle off the names, but there's no way to change them.

Well, you can manually change the sea names in the appropriate xml file, but it's a bit of a hack and not really recommended. Make backups and all the associated precautions. You'd be looking to edit the file "Expansion2_NamedPlaces_Text.xml" which is in the "steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\Expansion2\Text\en_US" folder. You could call it the West Taiwan Sea. They'd love it.

Maybe all civs dont have equal number of oceans around them. But of course, one might as well make them up according to actual civ make up. "Swiss Ocean"

I was looking if the Japanese are calling the East China Sea differently. For example, the English Channel is named la Manche in French which means "the Sleeve". You can rarely see written as la Manche britannique in older books (the British Sleeve), but nowadays, people don't really think about either Great Britain for the naming convention: it is just la Manche.

But let's take the Bay of Biscay, which is named Golfe de Gascogne in French, which means "Gulf of Gascony". It is neither a Bay nor about Biscay (Spanish region). Bay of Biscay could be literally translated to Baie de Biscaye, but no French people who didn't learn the English naming convention would understand you.

In Japanese, the East China Sea is named 東シナ海 which means.... East China Sea. 東 = East, シナ = China, and 海 = Sea. Yeah... This is an underwhelming development.

Last edited:
Well, you can manually change the sea names in the appropriate xml file, but it's a bit of a hack and not really recommended.
Yes well, I meant in game there's no way to change them like you can with city names. :)

I do like the name feature, but it would be good if you had some kind of control over it. One thing I did like about OLD WORLD is that when you discovered such features you were given the choice to name it. Maybe CIV VII could take a similar approach?

I think there is a lens settings to not display seas, though it may include other features.

Last edited:
I think they’re a lens settings to not display seas, though it may include other features.
I think it's all bodies of water except rivers. So, it would include lakes and oceans as well.

I do like the name feature, but it would be good if you had some kind of control over it. One thing I did like about OLD WORLD is that when you discovered such features you were given the choice to name it. Maybe CIV VII could take a similar approach?
I agree, but open it right up for all features. Rivers, volcanoes, bays, cities, islands, continents - let's rename everything to whatever you fancy.

There was an old space strategy game for the Amiga called "Supremacy", and if the computer player captured one of your planets, it would rename them to a string of gibberish. You could always re-name it if you captured it back. Should be more of that. Cities change names every so often - think of St. Petersburg / Leningrad, or you could ask They Might be Giants about Constantinople.

AFAIK, not being Asian oriental origin myself, that does seem kinda offensive. I remember seeing gulf of Mexico as Aztec but I guess they did that off of geographical convenience. Sort of like what happened here. It's not similar though, huge difference since Aztecs weren't mexico unless through diplomacy I think.

AFAIK, not being Asian oriental origin myself, that does seem kinda offensive. I remember seeing gulf of Mexico as Aztec but I guess they did that off of geographical convenience. Sort of like what happened here. It's not similar though, huge difference since Aztecs weren't mexico unless through diplomacy I think.
Is it really offensive though? I mean it was pointed out that Japan calls it East China Sea as well. The developers probably saw that and figured it was fine.

Is it really offensive though? I mean it was pointed out that Japan calls it East China Sea as well. The developers probably saw that and figured it was fine.
Not to me but AFAIK real oriental might find it that way I think since Chinese didn't like to be called Japanese nor Japanese Chinese or any other culture. When it came to Asia, I would say Asian or oriental because of its different countries.

I mean, I think China gets Korea Bay sometimes and I wouldn't be surprised if Korea got Sea of Japan either (and there was a real-life dispute over that one!) While it's weird, I wouldn't consider it offensive. Otherwise I feel like this would have been pointed out and fixed closer to GS's release, like 4 years ago.

I mean, I think China gets Korea Bay sometimes and I wouldn't be surprised if Korea got Sea of Japan either (and there was a real-life dispute over that one!) While it's weird, I wouldn't consider it offensive. Otherwise I feel like this would have been pointed out and fixed closer to GS's release, like 4 years ago.
Yeah I'm not offended by that either but I'm saying oriental might but maybe I should speak for myself and not for others, my bad.

You're at no fault at all, don't be sorry about it.

FYI, the list of sea names and what civs trigger them. Not only does Korea get "Sea of Japan" but also Russia!

If I'm doing a roleplay playthrough (roleplaythrough ?) if there was a barbarian encampment I'd be calling them the Chinese barbarians. Otherwise, whenever I build a city down there I'd say something like a Japanese trading outpost in the traditional lands of the Chinese and over time the area became a part of Japan through co-operation and assimilation.

Top Bottom