Canada getting a much-needed buff

tiamats4esgares

Warlord
But might it make them TOO good? +1 production for tundra and snow tiles, similar to Russia. And Russia's a beast.

Yes, it's only Tundra mines. So Russia still outclasses them by a mile and they're still bottom tier. Horrific starting bias with no real advantages until super late when the hockey rink comes into play. Tundra farms aren't good - I just settled a tundra city in my recent Germany game in order to build the Amundsen-Scott research center and still got it to pop 10 (where I want all my cities) without a single farm. And Canada's awful UU is going to be slightly less advantageous once the naturalist cost gets decreased for everyone. By definition it's a slight buff, but very little impact in my opinion.

@The Highwayman : just watched the movie about the retired Texas Rangers who got Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow... amazing story. Coincidence, or did you choose your callsign from that story?

@The Highwayman : just watched the movie about the retired Texas Rangers who got Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow... amazing story. Coincidence, or did you choose your callsign from that story?

My name is based on one of my favorite songs, Highwayman by the The Highwaymen, featuring Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Willie Nelson.

And Canada's awful UU is going to be slightly less advantageous once the naturalist cost gets decreased for everyone.

Well, yes and no. In a vacuum, Mounties themselves are less special. But cheaper Naturalists actually helps Canada's victory paths more than it helps others, because Canada was one of the only people really strongly considering parks/Naturalists to begin with. Canada buying 7 Mounties and 1 Naturalist is still 1 more Naturalist than anyone else builds.

Cheaper parks is almost entirely irrelevant to anyone not going for a CV, and still mostly irrelevant to those who are! Like all sources of Tourism, parks are super underwhelming without multipliers. Whereas if you're Canada and you've already invested into Wish You Were Here, Golden Gate Bridge, and/or Effiel Tower to support your numerous Mountie parks, picking up an extra park purely with Faith is relevant to your interests and numerically significant.

Tbqh, assuming the price reduction on Naturalists is less than 50%, they will remain irrelevant to almost all civs outside of the Radio Eureka, with a tiny extra bonus for Teddy.

The buff isn't enough for Canada.

Mounties could also provide cities with loyalty when garrisoned on top of the Mounties' other bonuses. It's historically accurate.

A+ for history, but mechanically Canada and their isolated tundra is one of the civs least concerned with Loyalty.

Their fundamental problem always comes down to Tundra being the worst possible start, with no meaningful early game compensation. The late game perks and No-Surprise-Wars are actually all fun and flavorful, but do not impact viability.

I still asset that Canada-with-+1Prod-to-all-tundra-improvements would still be the weakest civ in the game, and that Canada-with-+1Prod-to-all-tundra would not break into the top third.

They'll be Georgia tier finally.

> Half of fanbase deeply desires "tundra snow" civ with bonus yields to garbage tiles
> Firaxis releases tundra snow fanservice civ
> It is terrible
> Not only it is terrible, suddenly people realize that even if it got large tundra yield bonuses it'd still fail because it'd merely become regular civ but in tundrs
> Surprised pikachu meme

They'll be Georgia tier finally.

Still higher than England tier.

> Half of fanbase deeply desires "tundra snow" civ with bonus yields to garbage tiles
> It is terrible
> Not only it is terrible, suddenly people realize that even if it got large tundra yield bonuses it'd still fail because it'd merely become regular civ but in tundrs
> Surprised pikachu meme

This is false. Wish there was a dislike button...

Last edited by a moderator:
> It is terrible
> Surprised pikachu meme
Reminds me of a certain victory type.

> It is terrible
> Surprised pikachu meme

I just feel that "tundra snow" would work better for Norway. After all, frozen's arendelle is in Norway and we know that Disney movies are completely realistic.

Russia would be fine with their classic "siberian riches" ability.

And Canada... well, the best would be to ask the Canadians how they want their civ be depicted.

It's over at reddit.

Which part?

The point is if FX release a garbage tundra civ with meme abilities, it is going to be a garbage tundra civ with meme abilities. They could make it work if they wanted, despite tundra being crap.

Top Bottom