Canadian History Quiz

Evie

Pronounced like Eevee
Probably pretty easy for canadians who bothered to listen in their history classes...and hard for everyone outside Canada since we're very unimportant. So 0.00000000000000000000000001% of the world should be able to do well in this quiz.

Anyway

1) NAme the terrorist movement that sought to achive Québec independance in the 1960-70.

2) This politician of the first half of the 20th century actually held a nation-wide referendum to ask the population to free him of an electoral campaign promise he made. Who is he and what was the promise (he won his referendum and broke it, btw)?

3)Which form of tactic proved especially deadly for the French and their allies in their war against the english, and which general, by changing tactic, brought about the end of the the french colonies?

4)This region of Canada was the site of one of the greatest atrocities ever commited by the english government in the colonial era, in the second half of the 18th century, one for which no formal apologies have been offered yet. Which region is it?

5)Name the figurehead and leader of the native resistance against the Canadian expansion into the great plains?

6)Name the three ships Jacques Cartier took on his second visit to the New World.

7)The first atested european landings obviously took place there. What is the name of this location, who landed there, and in what province is this place?

8)Which famous world leader gave a strong boost to the Québec independantist movement in the sixties (perhaps by accident)? What did he say to do so?

9)Name the two canadian cities ever to hold the olympics, the years in which they did so, and the VERY rare (once in modern olympic history afaik) occurence concernign the host country that took place in the earlier ones.

10)In 1967, Montréal held the World Exposition. What was the theme chosen for it?

I know like all of these....but I can't fully remember....

Oh well...lets go.

1) I remember this, they kidnapped and killed some political officals.....aggggg....They temporary took away most rights regarding privicy while they looked for them. But I can't remember the name. :(

2) Can't remember.....Borden?

3) Not sure

4) Manitoba\Saskatawan

5) Can't remember the name...but he was hung. He led the Metis?

6) Don't remember

7) Are you talking the Vikings? In that case it was Labrador (Newfoundland), obviously along the coast. As well as Lance a Medows in Northern Newfoundland. Or do you mean the English/French? The English landed near the Avalon Penisula, I believe, Cupids Point, or Hearts Content.....while the French settled the south and west coasts.

8) Don't know.

9) Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics
Then probably Toronto or Montreal...but I can't remember the year.

10) Can't remember.

So how did I do. ;) Not well I assume.

Originally posted by CornMaster
I know like all of these....but I can't fully remember....

Oh well...lets go.

1) I remember this, they kidnapped and killed some political officals.....aggggg....They temporary took away most rights regarding privicy while they looked for them. But I can't remember the name. :(

You got the right events, to any extent.

2) Can't remember.....Borden?

Nope. Try again. The french canadian were the main source of opposition t o breakign th epromise, while the english canadians in general wanted it broken.

3) Not sure

4) Manitoba\Saskatawan

18th century. These - and the question under - were in the 19th century. Early in the 2nd half of the 18th century.

5) Can't remember the name...but he was hung. He led the Metis?

Yep.

6) Don't remember

7) Are you talking the Vikings? In that case it was Labrador (Newfoundland), obviously along the coast. As well as Lance a Medows in Northern Newfoundland. Or do you mean the English/French? The English landed near the Avalon Penisula, I believe, Cupids Point, or Hearts Content.....while the French settled the south and west coasts.

That one you got right.

8) Don't know.

Think WW2

9) Calgary 1988 Winter Olympics
Then probably Toronto or Montreal...but I can't remember the year.

A certain gymnast from eastern Europe was quite a major figure in the earlier ones...

10) Can't remember.

So how did I do. ;) Not well I assume.

Well, you got one right and you're close with a few others - you're on the right track.

Is it ok for a Canuck to play? :)

1) Front du Libration du Quebec, or FLQ.

2) Would that be King? He promised not to impose conscription during WW2.

3) Well, the general's name would be Wolfe who defeated Montcalm at the Battle of the Plains of Abraham.

4) That would probably be Acadia with the forced expulsion of the Acadians.

5) Riel

6) ?

7) Vikings landed in Newfoundland

8) That ******* DeGaule. :) "Vive le Quebec libre!".

9) 1976, Montreal
1988, Calgary.

Nadia Comenici recieved the first perfect score handed out at an Olympic games at the Montreal olympics.

10) Jeez, and I've been there like a million times. :(

/bruce

Probably pretty easy for canadians who bothered to listen in their history classes...and hard for everyone outside Canada since we're very unimportant. So 0.00000000000000000000000001% of the world should be able to do well in this quiz.

I still remember the KIH skit where Dave Foley is in the Philippines, and a native Filipino comes up to him and asks, "Hey Joe, are you an American?" to which he answers "No, I'm a Canadian. That's like an American but without a gun." :p

1) NAme the terrorist movement that sought to achive Québec independance in the 1960-70.

Gotta be the FLQ.

2) This politician of the first half of the 20th century actually held a nation-wide referendum to ask the population to free him of an electoral campaign promise he made. Who is he and what was the promise (he won his referendum and broke it, btw)?

W.L. MacKenzie King, who tried to follow isolationist policies and distance Canada from Britain in foreign policy. His referendum was about whether Canadians would be drafted to fight in WW II.

3)Which form of tactic proved especially deadly for the French and their allies in their war against the english, and which general, by changing tactic, brought about the end of the the french colonies?

The French used Indian-style raid tactics, learned through their involvement in the wars between the Iroquois and the Algonquins. General L. Marquis de Montcalm introduced European-style tactics again, which eventually cost him and France Quebec.

4)This region of Canada was the site of one of the greatest atrocities ever commited by the english government in the colonial era, in the second half of the 18th century, one for which no formal apologies have been offered yet. Which region is it?

Nova Scotia/Acadia, and the ethnic cleansing of the French?

5)Name the figurehead and leader of the native resistance against the Canadian expansion into the great plains?

At first I was going to say "Crowfoot" because of the Willie Dunn song, but I think you mean Pontiac's Rebellion after the Seven Years' War (French & Indian War).

6)Name the three ships Jacques Cartier took on his second visit to the New World.

La Grande Hermoine, La Petite Hermoine, and L'Emerillon. Oh, and the Rainbow Warrior. (Just kidding...)

7)The first atested european landings obviously took place there. What is the name of this location, who landed there, and in what province is this place?

Erik the Red in Newfoundland, c. A.D. 1000-1018.

8)Which famous world leader gave a strong boost to the Québec independantist movement in the sixties (perhaps by accident)? What did he say to do so?

De Gaulle, and I'm not so sure about the accidental part... He said something to the effect of "Viva Free Quebec" (in French).

9)Name the two canadian cities ever to hold the olympics, the years in which they did so, and the VERY rare (once in modern olympic history afaik) occurence concernign the host country that took place in the earlier ones.

I remembered Montreal, and my wife chipped in with Calgary. Don't know the 2nd part.

10)In 1967, Montréal held the World Exposition. What was the theme chosen for it?

Um, uh.... dunno. I remember the huge metal ball though.

Originally posted by Vrylakas

Erik the Red in Newfoundland, c. A.D. 1000-1018.

erik the red discovered greenland. it was erik´s son leif eriksson who landed in newfoundland and the vikings called it vinland.

Hey, I know some, though I'm not canadian :)

4. Nova Scocia. Frenchmen had a pretty bad time back then AFAIK

7. Labrador/ Vikings/ Newfoundland

9. Montreal '76 and Calgary '88

Ok, scoring time!

7 goes to CornMaster

1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 goes to Dingbat

3 goes to Vrylaka

6 is VERY close to being answered. Well, since I'm nice and it sounds like a spelling mistake/Harry Potter confusion...

I'll give 6 to Vrylaka. Grande Hermine, Petite Hermine, Émérillon.

10 remains unanswered.

As for the accidental part about De Gaulle, recent researchers on all sides of the political fence have noted that De Gaulle said "Vive le Québec...Vive le Québec LIBRE!". As it happens, there were lots of people waving "Vive le Québec Libre" banners in front of where he was, so he might just have taken up their slogan. Might be true, might not be...

10. "man and his world".

We have a right answer!

Man and his world/Terre des hommes was in fact the title of the 1967 world expo held in Montréal, Canada.

Top Bottom