Cannot run CD version under Win 10

davypi

Chieftain
I pulled out my old Civ 4 GotY edition off the shelf and installed it today. I cannot run the program at all. Literally nothing happens when I try to run the app. I have updated to the 3.19 patch, so CD verification isn't the issue. (In fact, I've pulled the CD and it doesn't ask for it.) I've tried every compatibility setting I can, cycling through each OS, toggling Admin, Reduced Color, and 640x480 modes. Since the app does literally nothing, I have no idea what to look for in troubleshooting. The only thing I haven't been able to try is I found an online fix suggesting modifying the .ini file to start in windowed mode, however, I cannot find the ini file. There is no "Civ 4" or "Beyond the Sword" folder under "My Documents \ My Games"

At best, my only guess is that I do have two video cards on my PC, which I know sometimes causes problems with older games. Any ideas on how to fix or what to look for?

Thread starter was last seen on 31 Aug. Well, who knows, maybe he or she has set an e-mail alert ...
[...] however, I cannot find the ini file. There is no "Civ 4" or "Beyond the Sword" folder under "My Documents \ My Games"
That folder ought to be somewhere; savegames also go there. Suggests to me that something is wrong with your installation.

You do have Civ4BeyondSword.exe – I assume that's what you've been launching. That should be wherever you installed the game. In that folder, the GotY installer should have created shortcuts to various folders and also a shortcut _Civ4Config that points directly to CivilizationIV.ini. Are those shortcuts present on your end?

Top Bottom