1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't build Destroyers with Uranium

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by EmperorFool, Jul 9, 2007.

1. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

I'm playing the Earth 18 Civ scenario (Warlords) as Asoka and have a question regarding Uranium. I have no oil but need to build Destroyers to defend my fishies and coast, and they require Oil or Uranium.

So I found some Uranium, mined it, connected it to my city, but it doesn't show up in the city screen in any city. To make sure I wasn't insane, I used WorldBuilder to put Uranium on the plot for a different city. Again, no Uranium. What am I missing?

Does this scenario disable Uranium functionality to force a global oil conflict?

If so, it worked. I had to invade Cyrus (closest oil), but the whole world minus three people is having a Judaism love-fest. Even though all but five have since gone Free Religion, he was unloved by only two civs (looks like I'm in the axis of evil!). So of course he capitulated when I was one city away from deciding he'd had enough and declaring peace when the #3 guy JC accepts his capitulation (at least I'm #2).

Unfortunately, JC doesn't appear to be content with a phony war as he invaded the lands I had liberated immediately. The spy I sent came to his first city, and it's completing his first tank next turn (no movement points left for my spy) -- what timing. :( Luckily I've got tanks coming online which should arrive at the front two turns later than his. I'm pretty sure I can out-produce him, though. :goodjob:

Okay, sidetracked there. What's up with Uranium?

2. nullspace

nullspace King

You need to research fission tech too. I think this rule changed in Warlords.

3. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

Okay thanks. That was my guess (makes sense), but pedia didn't mention it and it doesn't show up as a resource at all. I figured it'd show up but just not allow ships until Fission. I'll post back here once I nab Fission. :)

4. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

I had this exact same problem too playing a regular game and posted on here to find out - you need fission, as he said, then it will work. It really is annoying, because I had thought uranium was the saving grace if you don't have access to oil. so that resource is kind of not as powerful anymore.

5. RockTheCazbah87

RockTheCazbah87 Pacal's pal

Happened to me too, but I had Oil so I was ok. :)

Bit of a mess up from Firaxis I guess, surely you should just be able to mine Uranium as soon as you see it?

6. EmperorFool

EmperorFool Deity

Yes and no. You can mine Uranium right away, but you can't use it for power until you learn Fission. Fission is of course what we use in nuclear power plants. So this makes perfect sense, but it does leave you SOL for a long ways without Oil.

I suppose I could have beelined Fission once I saw I didn't have easy access to Oil, but Cyrus was just asking for it by being all nice the whole game. At least once I vassalized him he returned to Friendly. :)

7. RockTheCazbah87

SOL? sorry, i'm kinda newish lol.

8. Chaos_BF1942

Chaos_BF1942 Prince

So Out of Luck (although the 'S' is normally replacled wtih a more 'colorful' word)

9. RockTheCazbah87

Colorful... aah. Sounds... pleasant.