Cant find info on this...

DragonTempest

Chieftain
Occationally I will have startup troubles with launching civiliazation beyound the sword. it seems to resolve itself when I restart the computer but the message it presents is not the problem.

I have updated the drivers.. both the graphics and Dx9.0c But it still happens. I cant figure it out. Can any of yall?

I use a Geforce PNY 7900gs with 256mb My monitor is a viewsonic with 1689x1050 standard. because it is an LCD any lower settings look ghosted.

Game is patched and up to date. I only have one mod in it... verietas delectat

Attachments

• DxDiag52009.txt
    35.4 KB · Views: 70
You know, judging by the amount of people having problems lately, I really think that Nvidia broke their Vista drivers in a recent release. Most of the people having issues own Nvidia cards, which is sad really, because most of their cards will out perform an equivalent ATI card because the drivers are usually better. At least they used to be. :(

:hmm:
this is all updated (I tend to check this before trying to delve deeper into it since some posters here tend to claim updated machines that aren't :mischief:)
Is this when loading the mod or loading the core game?
Are you running the game with admin rights?

Edit: I had to leave the Computer for a few hours so I x-posted with Lemon Merchant and I agree with what she says :)- have you tried older driver versions?

I have updated the game... updated the drivers for both my nvidia card and windows DX9.0c I have enabled admin... tried to set it up on WinXP mode but it says I need to put disk in drive (which it is). I have tried making a new account on windows to play the game. The only thing I have not done is reinstall the game, which I wont do till I can get the new package due to scratches caused by playing the game so much (heh heh)
(civ4 not BTS, that I had to replace already)

I feel the only thing left to do is to reformatt the entire hard drive considering that this is a new occurance and everything on my computer is getting slower
I have AVG free and use Win defender of which neither detect any problems, and I use two Free reg cleaners....)

I have AVG free and use Win defender of which neither detect any problems, and I use two Free reg cleaners....)
Oh man. before you reformat, I'd get rid of Defender. It slows the machine down something fierce. Not sure what OS your using but reg cleaners aren't a good idea either. Most of the free ones are crap - especially for vista and if its 64 bit you shouldn't use one at all because they don't work properly for 64 bit yet. Most of them anyway.

The first things I would do is deactivate defender, and get rid of all the unnecessary junk in the system tray. Strip the machine down to the bare OS if you can and then try to run civ. That means no memory resident programs like windows gadgets, anti virus, control consoles for soft ware, and any fast loaders like quicktime and adobe acrobat reader. get rid of all that before you play, and I'll bet half your problem will go away. Lots of people don't realize it but they laod their machine down with all kinds of junk to the point that windows has no resources left to run programs, and it doesn't work too well that way.

Top Bottom