Can't load OTHER's saves

landy

Chieftain
Hi everyone, I have a problem concerning my civ4 on Mac. I apologize if similar thread has been posted, but I have looked up the three first pages in this sub forum and the sticky FAQ thread, and didn't find anything useful.

My question is, I can't open OTHER's save, for example the Noble Club Series' opening files, or any other save file that I find in the forum. (However I can open the file that I saved myself without problem.)

Some information that might be useful:
The game version is BtS 3.19 (checked both in game and by Finder); I'm playing with MacBUFFY mod, HoF version.

Thanks for any advise and help in advance.

What happens when you try to open the save? A couple of possible reasons for the problem are:

1. If a save has been created using a mod then you have to have the same mod on your own system. If not, the software will tell you it needs a mod you don't have. Note that a lot of Windows mods are not compatible with the Mac version as they use custom DLLs that are Windows-only.

2. If the save has been created with locked assets - i.e. it was password protected by the originator, or Locked Modified Assets was set in the custom setup screen, then you have to have an identical set of assets files. The game software does a CRC check to verify this. If the check fails then you will see an appropriate error message. Note that if you are using a mod and you have had to fix it to run on the Mac then it will be seen as modified and these checks will fail.

If you post a link to a file that you are having trouble with, then I can investigate for you.

Well, when I try to open a save, I just CAN'T see other's save in the list of files. In Finder I can see all the saves, mines and other people's, in the save folder. But in BtS load screen I can ONLY see MY saves.

As for examples of saves... I just can't open any save posted by anyone in the forum. Noble Club Series, Lonely Heart Clubs, All Leader Challenge, Immortal University... just any of them.

The only save files that BtS will open are ones with the file extension: .CivBeyondSwordSave.

I looked at a Noble's Club post, and the attached file is a .zip file. Did you expand the file first before putting it in the ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Saves/single/ folder?

Yes, I have expanded the .zip file into .CivBeyondSwordWBSave file.

In fact, when I used WIN os, I have played NC series and others without problem. I have recently changed my laptop into a MacBook Air, so I changed my BtS into Mac version as well. Is there any trick that a new Mac user like me might have ignored?

A .CivBeyondSwordWBSave is not a saved game. It's a WorldBuilder saved scenario. The WB in the file extension is the clue.

You need to put that file in the ~/Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/Saves/worldbuilder/ folder, then use the Play Scenario menu option to open and play it.

The save is in the correct folder.

OK I know where I make a mistake.
In Window when I use copy-paste, the duplicate is named : [filename] - duplicate.[extension];
while in Mac, the duplicate is named [filename].[extension] duplicate.
And Civ doesn't recognize a .CivBeyondSwordWBSave duplicate file, nor a .CivBeyondSwordSave duplicate file.
A stupid mistake indeed.:(

Anyway thanks a lot for your response.

Top Bottom