1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Nuke own cities

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ghafhi, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Warlord

Blowing up a bridge and burning to death or giving cancers to thousands of people who gave you the power ain't exactly the same kinda thing :crazyeye:

2. covenant

covenant Warlord

The point isnt that a leader would, its that they could if they really wanted to. There is no law or force in the universe stopping it.

Considering the game is built around options, to make such an arbitary disicion on what I can or cant do seems silly.

This will be modded very quiclkly. Not cause people will start nuking their own cities but because people dont like being told they cant.

3. LauriL

LauriL prince

What if there's a threat that a civilized country could be invaded by a totalitarian country. The totalitarian regime could slaughter hundreds of thousands of citizens. Only way to stop them would be to nuke those bad guys on your land. What would you do?

4. Gebstadter

Gebstadter Chieftain

If you buy the no-city-nuking argument, then it makes some sense to disallow nuking within your own borders (at least on land) because there's probably some assumption that your rural population is scattered about the land outside your cities.

5. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Warlord

IMHO if the only way left to damage your opponents is to nuke them, meaning that all conventionnal forces already failed, it means that you're totally overwhelmed. No matter how many ennemies you kill, there will always be more to invade you (unless you have the capability of nulking all their homeland, in which case you probably won't need to nuke yours). So nuking your citizens will only delay the fall and therefore is probably not worth it.

On the other hand, turning your country into an uninhabitable radioactive desert may cut down the interest the ennemy has in it. Might be a good strat. :bump: [pissed] :rockon:

6. Eshnunna

Eshnunna Warlord

Thats too theoretical to be a true world situation. -or even a civ one
    Nuking them would never be enough

7. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

If the battle is not being fought at the border then A is done anyway. It signifies B has the stronger force,as you stated, backed by nukes..so in this situation you disperse your forces(to prevent mass annihilation),nuke his economy/supply centers (cities) and immediately sue for peace.
    Desperate times=Desperate measures

8. bundy

bundy Chieftain

I sometimes nuked some of my teritory when enemy kad large army there. And nobody did punish me becouse of that. Nobody protested so i use more nukes on my teretory then on enemy teritory

9. Modifiable

Modifiable Chieftain

I really like your idea of the "mad statesman" civic. That could be a lot of fun.

10. Modifiable

Modifiable Chieftain

I think this is the best point made yet. It really isn't about some obscure scenario that might lead you to nuke your own city or people, It's just about being told you can't.

11. Tactician Zhao

Tactician Zhao Lord Strategist

when I was younger I enjoyed the "scorched earth" strategy if I was being overwhelmed.. mostly due to the short temper and pettiness I was plagued with back then..

I can't think of a situation where I'd want to nuke my own city, but thats not really the issue.. its nuking stacks of invaders, and I have never had that problem anyways, as I tend to play pretty defensively.. active defending and choke points usually keeps me safe, and I'm rarely in a position where I would even need to nuke defensively

I can understand how people would want to, however, and I'm glad the game is heavily modifiable

12. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

i cant nuke my own land? no "atomic test in deserts"? - i will mod this first... :)

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Actually the people were killed by a combination of blast/fire hurting them and the complications from blast/fire destroyed infrastructure and direct radiation weakening them (so minor injuries became fatal with infections and limited food/water/medical care)

They were about 10 kt, and those levels of bombs should hurt a city significantly, but they wouldn't obliterate everything an a vast metropolitan area (which is what a civ tile would represent.)

The effect of Nuclear weapons really needs to be more of the direct destruction and less the 'fallout/pollution' because unless a ground burst is done, the fallout is an incredibly minor/short term effect (most of the really dangerous stuff being eliminated in a year or going into the atmosphere.)

Now Multiple nukes leading to large scale global fallout and climate change should be in, but the 'nuked squares' would probably just be best stripped of all improvements.

14. Tactician Zhao

Tactician Zhao Lord Strategist

Little Boy (dropped on Hiroshima) had a yield of about 13 kilotons

Fat Man (dropped on Nagasaki) had a yield of 25 kilotons

15. knupp715

knupp715 King

The fact is the game developers made a rule that said you can't nuke your own land which makes perfectly good sense based on realistic thinking. I don't think anyone is arguing that you should be able to nuke your own city because that is just a stupid and unreliable strategy. And in real life you wouldn't just nuke your own land. Remember in civ that cities only represent major cities, commercial, and industrial centers. Inbetween those large cities are small cities (like the one I live in, in Auburn, New York) and people live all over. In real life, leaders wouldn't go around nuking there own people unless they were criminally insane and even then they wouldn't be allowed to unless it was a dictatorship.

So anyways, to the point, I agree that you should be able to nuke your own land to kill an enemy army, but I understand why the game dev. excluded this from the game (for the reasons I stated above - realism). Either way It will be modded to suit what people want.

16. ew0054

ew0054 Troll Extraordinaire

LOLOLOL!!! I LOVE IT!
    :lol: :rolleyes: