Can't start Alpha Centauri in Windows Vista

Grolav

Chieftain
Hi there, wanted to play this classic, but I can't get Alpha Centauri to start.

- innstalled the game without any problems
- patched it with the patch 4
- added the xp-compability patch
- added the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 line in the alpha centauri.ini file
- running in windows xp compability mode

Running it on a laptop with Windows Vista 32-bit.

The odd thing is I can play the Alpha Centaury demo, but not the game.

Any ideas?

I just installed it last night and it worked fine. I didn't even have to set the Voxel thingy to 1 like use to do in XP. The one thing that I did have to was set the program to 'Run As Administrator'. Both Alpha Centauri and the Alien Crossfire work. :)

Forgot to mention this was also on a laptop (Dell 1505).

I took have not been able to get AC to work on my new dual core dell computer, and yes I am running Vista (which I hate). I have done all of the fixes suggested and still nadda. Sucks because I love this game. If anyone has any suggestions other than what has already been posted please email me at: porkrind276@yahoo.com.

I instaled it on vista

It works fine

I installed SMAC on my Vista (hp dv6000 laptop) and ran the game just fine with "no problem" at all, cept some game errors. i patched the game to version 4, and now it won't run. the game on start up now says that the cpu is incompatible, which i have no doubt, but the game had no problem with the older version, which could explain why the demo mentioned above worked but not his patched game.

i have run the game as an admin, with all the compatability options i know how to manipulate, and i can't fix the problem.

as if that's not enough, i uninstalled the game, and attempted to reinstall it. the cd no longer runs, the the autoplay still appears. somebody up there doesn't like me, this game, or the combination.

help?

You should be able to just click "OK" to bypass the CPU incompatibility message, and it should work fine after that.

I just opened up AC on my Vista computer, haven't played it since before installing Vista, but I still had the files on a secondary hard drive, and it opened up just fine on the first go:

edit: That's Alien Crossfire, latest patch.

Still no go past the "incompatable cpu" prompt. i'lll click ok, then the game will crash/disappear. i've observed that the cpu incompatability only exists with v4, so i suppose i'm left with stickink with v1, or testing any other patches...

Add the line

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

to the preferences section of Alpha Centauri.ini. Or, if you already have ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0, change the 0 to a 1.

i found the ini file and made the change. when i attempt to save, it asks me if i'm sure i wish to overwrite. i, of course, select "yes".

then i recieve an error message saying that

"Cannont create the C:\Program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri\Alpha Centauri.ini file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct."

wtf. i cannont save to the file path i had pulled the file from!?! in my limited investigation, i've noticed that the C:\Program files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri folder is set to "Read only", and i can't switch it off.

Thank ya'll for your help, but i'm beggining to believe i'm not meant to ever play this game patched. i think Sister Miriam doesn't want me kickin her butt again.

I don't have Vista, but this is surely a permissions problem. Do you know the admin's password on this computer? If so, logon as the Admin and try again.

HTH

Petek

I found something else about this problem. If you were logged on with the admin account and ran into the problem, then try also running Notepad as follows:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Notepad, and then click Run as administrator.

that was brilliant (or i'm dumb. i should know to go ahead and try that, since i've had to do it on so many other programs...). i did have a similar thought. i am the admin for my comp. i went into my user settings and gave myself all the permissions i thought i could possibly need. it figures that i still needed to give myself permission to be the admin i already was...

:mad: yay vista:mad:

game runs fin now, and the patches are evident and appear to be working properly. thank you all for your help, and PETEK is my hero!!!!!!!!:king:

i love this game too, as well as other sid meier games but the trouble im having is getting the game to install.....at 76% it just stops.....im running vista with nvidia g7500 graphics card....any help will be GRATEFULLY appreciated

Top Bottom