Catan Mafia (Game Thread - Mafia Victory)

pzelda

Emperor
It's spring of 1996. Dietrich invited his friends over to play the newest board game on his shelf. His German uncle Adolf sent it to him and it's really cool. You roll dice build roads and villages and score resources. It's easy to forget about your Mega Drive and Sid Meier's Colonization installed on your IBM.
Among humble board game enthusiasts, four video gamers are of different opinion. They have a single goal. They would like to ruin the game, make other disgusted and return home to their personal computers. They're working together to make it an unpleasant experience developing all nasty strats from burping to fart jokes. You can recognize them if you pay attention. They always giggle, when someone manages to roll 7.

///

Setup:
In this game Video Gamers are trying to outnumber Board Game Enthusiasts and end the sessions of Catan. To prevent this from happening, they need to be recognized and stopped.
The game offers some experimental mechanics. You don't have your vote by default. You get a set amount of resources based on your role card at the start of every day phase. These will enable you to pay for actions.
There will be players, who get exactly resources to pay for a single vote (1 wood, 1 brick), but they might decide to use their cards differently. Negotiation and trading of resources among players is an important part of this setup.
There will be a public list of actions and their costs renewed every day.

Mechanics
- Plurality lynching only, because of possible hoarding of resources. If you want to no lynch, you need to vote for it.
- Use Vote: Player to vote and Unvote or Cancel to cancel your vote. You don't need to unvote in order to change your vote. Just vote for another player.
- Video Gamers win, when they achieve parity
- Board Game Enthusiasts need to eliminate all Video Gamers in order to win
- Private communications with an exception of mod provided mafia chat are not allowed
- Video Gamers get a private chat they can access 24/7
- In case a tie happens, lynch is selected at random
- mafia has a factional kill
- Do not edit your posts
-Post at least once every phase or you'll get replaced
-Most other standard mafia rules apply.

Trading:
In order to make a trade you need to make an offer first. You can offer one resource in exchange for another. Example offer:
Oferr: 1 brick for 1 wood
The player is offering on brick and wants to get one wood in exchange. If he has the resource at their disposal offer gets listed and assigned a number as soon as I'm around.
Players can accept listed offers by writing:
Offer: Accept Offer #(number of offer)
You can't trade at night.
If you want to remove an offer, ping me in the thread with the number of offer you want me to remove or send me a pm.

All trades are public.

Resources:
You get a set number of resources at start of every day phase. There are five kind of resources. You can use them to buy actions. You need to buy your vote in order to be able to vote.

Available actions will be in a separate post with resource costs and short explanations. They're all one shot actions. You are free to use as many actions as your pile of resources can
buy you.

Example PM:

Basic Info:
-Days are 48 hours long, nights 24. The thread is opened at night.
-The game starts on Friday May 15th
-SOD/EOD at 9 PM GMT
-The minimal number of players is 9.

Players:
1. Synsensa - killed n4
2. Takhisis - lynched d2
3. Marcher Jovian - lynched d3
4. Arakhor - converted to video games
5. Dolbster - killed n2
6. Timsupto2nothin - killed n2
7. Lord Argon - lynched d1

8. Csargo - survived
9. JohannaK - killed n1
10. GamezRule - converted to video games

11. Golden1Knight - killed n2
12. Biancasbotique - converted to video game
13. Topsecret - lynched d3

14. Punchythecat - survived
15. Amazonevan19 - survived

16. Phoenicks - killed n2
17. POLIWHIRL - MacDougall - killed n2

Threadmarks:
Day 1 Start
Night 1 Update
Day 2 Start
Night 2 Update
Day 3 Start
Night 3 Update
Day 4 Start
Night 4 Update
GAME OVER: Mafia Wins

Last edited:

vote - your vote counts. If you buy multiple votes at once and want to use them on multiple players, just make it clear in your post.
generate - spend resources to get a resource of your choice.
steal - steal a random card from another player.
reveal hand - take a look at another player's cards.
vest - get a bulletproof vest, which protects you or another player against a kill.
gun - with a single bullet. You can use it to kill another player.
track - follow a player at night and see their actions.
peek - get informed on another player's alignment.
block - stop another player from making any actions.
robber - all players get robbed and left with max 7 cards.

Send me a pm to buy action/s.
Send me another at night to use them.

You don't have to contact me in order to purchase a vote. Resources will be removed from your account at deadline.
You can vote without required resources too, the vote won't count. You can even send me a pm if you have required resources and want to make a fake vote.

All purchased power are single use and need to be activated the night of purchase.

Actions order:
0. vote, generate - can be used anytime during day.
1. vest, block
2. track, peek, reveal hand
3. gun
4. robber, steal (night action)
5. mafia faction kill

Last edited:
Do we need to PM to buy a vote? Also, do we need to PM the offers?

Do we need to PM to buy a vote? Also, do we need to PM the offers?

yeah I would prefer private purchases. I might make an exception for votes as they are the only day action available. If you use vote or multiple, I will just remove the resources from your pile.

Trades are public, so no need for pms there.

Day 1
Day 1 is on, there might occur some little changes during the day. Deadline is on Sunday at 9 PM GMT.
There will be flavour in later updates.

Hmm, I can't decide what to buy. So many options.

Offer: 1 sheep for 1 wheat

Accept Offer #1

Offer: 1 wheat for 1 sheep

Active Offers:
Offer #1: JohannaK offers 1 sheep for 1 wheat
Offer #2: Lord Argon offers 1 wheat for 1 sheep

What are you planning with that there rock, hmm? Why not buy some delicious wheat. Also pzelda, does jo have to accept my accepting of the deal, because I accepted offer number one.

Hey guys,

Gonna be a bit busy but thought I'd make a quick post. Maybe this is naive, but couldn't we game out which powers are most useful? Trading around so someone can get a gun or a peek looks way more powerful than buying a vote.

Also, what does robber do? Caps all players back to 7?

Oh, and thanks Tim for inviting me to play here, find it really neat how the forum software will let me drag-and-drop images directly into the text field and then spam filter me when I try to post it, ha

Top Bottom