'Cause I'm the Taxman

Well, I'm off for a couple of weeks to play the LARPG Finnish Army. No further input on the settings from me, just give us a whipping boy.

Justinian is an option too... though raising culture slider is not what we want to do I guess...
Tbh I don't really care about the leader we'll use, a lot are good anyway.

I really like Justinian for this, too. Rusten's preference for SPI and Myst covered. Cheap settler spam would be nice early. I know you're not raising the culture slider, but the building gives you a :) from horses, too, so it's not that bad (you'll build them anyway for GT). AI's often tech to knights reasonably early. Or, are you guys decided on Brennus?

EDIT: Teching Alphabet seems wrong. How does it work? Are you allowed to trade techs as soon as you get Alphabet, or do you have to wait 'till someone gets currency and buy a tech you can trade first? On immortal, you could probably expect AI getting currency in the, what, 1000-500BC period? On emperor, possibly later.

The thing is to beg you need alpha... so either it's our last techs researched, or it's our first begged :)
THe same to buy techs, you need both alpha and currency (you or your opponents). If alpha isn't allowed, we need a fast techer (a guy who will go alpha after writing) to beat down to submission...

@RRRas, Let's see if we can carry on two conversations at once. :D

I get that, I was just asking to clarify the rules re: bartering with techs. If you extort/beg/buy Alphabet, you are allowed to then trade Alphabet for other techs, according to Rusten's initial rule. If you tech it, are you allowed to barter it or other techs you may have? Doesn't seem like you should be.

@RRRas, Let's see if we can carry on two conversations at once. :D

I get that, I was just asking to clarify the rules re: bartering with techs. If you extort/beg/buy Alphabet, you are allowed to then trade Alphabet for other techs, according to Rusten's initial rule. If you tech it, are you allowed to barter it or other techs you may have? Doesn't seem like you should be.

I lost this little game ;) Had to do some stuffs...

I agree for the rest... I wouldn't let us trade it if we are allowed to tech it... but that's Rusten's game... I will let him clarify all these points :D (good to not be in charge :cool:)

Let's see SGOTM thread... :lol:

EDIT: Teching Alphabet seems wrong.
Yes!
The thing is to beg you need alpha... so either it's our last techs researched, or it's our first begged :)
False! Only one part needs to have alphabet to enable tech trading -- I don't know what you're babbling on about. We can choose to avoid alphabet for a long time. Mathematics opens up currency too.

Alphabet is not a worker tech so we'll not get this one. I don't think we should be allowed to tech writing either.

There will be a waiting period for us until an AI gets alphabet/currency, but we're just going to have to live with that. It won't stop us from expanding, stockpiling gold or beating up an AI though.

Any idea how much gold it costs to buy a tech in the midgame? I thought civ 4 really cranked up the gold -- beaker conversion ratio to discourage players from buying techs.

Brennus seems good here--I like playing spi in SG's.
As for a map, I really think we need to have contact with all the other AI pre astro.
Terra is OK here as I think it's quite a bit easier and this could be a tough one
--maybe inland sea? --that's easier IMHO than pangea or lakes.

Fractal, tectonics, pangaea, terra, lakes, or inland sea are the maps I'd most want to work with.

I agree that we shouldn't be able to tech alpha/writing. Pottery is in as it is a "worker tech". Rushing an AI for extortion is an interesting ploy but we'll have to see what kind of resources we can get.

As for leaders, I'm feeling monty (cheap UB with great side effect) or Justinian (a UU that's usable later on even if we buy it) as these seem to be leaders others like here already that I also like.

Looks like the majority wants terra, and after more consideration I am fine with it.

Looks like the leader will be either Montezuma, Brennus or Justinian. Make your votes now, when it's a majority I will roll the start. In case of a tie my vote will be double.

Montezuma: stuge (he did say whipping boy :D)
Justinian: RRR
Brennus: EP, Rusten (change of heart), ungy

I'm thinking we try immortal if we're playing terra.

Justinian... I love Monty but played him a lot recently (and in SGs too)... Same for Brennus, he is cool but played the celts recently. Byzantines have the advantage to have an UU that comes with a nice tech for us...

Changed my vote. I like all three leaders, but I've played both Aztec and Byzantine in SGs before so for that reason I'm going to go with Brennus.

Changed my vote. I like all three leaders, but I've played both Aztec and Byzantine in SGs before so for that reason I'm going to go with Brennus.
my thoughts exactly--so Brennus for me

Brennus wins the vote.

Settings: I decided to keep random events and huts on as SGs are for fun, not competition or comparison, and the majority seems to like them.

Our start. I moved the scout as it was the only sensible move.

Looks scary. We could be landlocked on a peninsula.

Attachments

• Taxman BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    46.4 KB · Views: 120
"getting out"... let's focus :goodjob:

I like one north for two more hills and no resources lost. Waste one turn and a forest though...

agri > BW for me... scout NW :) Fishing after the chops and before pottery.

I would go for SH after first settler except if we see we haven't any opponents in the area (unlikely)...

edit: nevermind the scout move, Rusten edited the screeny with it

Agree. 1N looks best for the 2 grassland hills.

I moved the scout 1NW (updated the screenshot).

The highlighted techs are the ones allowed. I added archery as it makes no sense to die to barbarians.
Spoiler :

The GLH looks very promising. We have a worrying lack of commerce and it gives GM GPP.

Top Bottom