Caveman2Cosmos v43 Player Guide

I'm thinking the issue I have with SM Split / Merge sometimes not showing up maybe doesn't have anything to do with SM after all. I created a stack of like 5 Gatherer's at the same time. The first one I select had the 3 automate buttons but if I selected the 2nd - 5th ones all 3 automate buttons were missing. When I sent out the first one then I got the automate buttons for the 2nd one but not the others and so on. Might have something to do with the unit list mechanics.

The SM thing happens with all units I've tried to merge / split randomly but I've mostly figured out a workaround. Splitting one and then merging it back will usually give me the option to merge them again.
You can select a unit that is part of a group, without removing it from the group. That's when these oddities (of orders buttons not available) occur.

When you select a group, you have an orders button with iirc 3 arrows diverging, to 'disband' the group into individual units.

When you select a single unit while it is still in a group, there is a 'reciprocal' orders button with the arrows converging. I don't know what it does, except that clicking it makes it go away, and you have to do this before including the unit in a merge (and probably also before splitting it). Mysteriously missing automation buttons follow the same pattern.

Very good point I forgot to make - it can indeed look like you're unit isn't in a selection group because you've selected him individually without removing him from the group he's a part of and yes, if the icon to break up his selection group (not the SM split command) is visible, then he's still part of a selection group that needs to be broken apart. All units to be merged need to be cleared of any selection groups they may be a part of - not just the one that's initiating the merge.

You can select a unit that is part of a group, without removing it from the group. That's when these oddities (of orders buttons not available) occur.

When you select a group, you have an orders button with iirc 3 arrows diverging, to 'disband' the group into individual units.

When you select a single unit while it is still in a group, there is a 'reciprocal' orders button with the arrows converging. I don't know what it does, except that clicking it makes it go away, and you have to do this before including the unit in a merge (and probably also before splitting it). Mysteriously missing automation buttons follow the same pattern.

Ah good! This should take care of the issues then. It's odd though that when I batch make multiple ones they get stuck in a grouping automatically.

Is there a way to use Ruthless AI option back in the mod. Never played with that but sounds interesting and it seems to have been removed from mod along with aggressive ai?

Edit: Yep that was the problem. Everything works good now with SM. I Alt Select them all then press that button and ready to merge. Thanks alot for the answer. It was bugging me.

Last edited:
Is there a way to use Ruthless AI option back in the mod. Never played with that but sounds interesting and it seems to have been removed from mod along with aggressive ai?
It really just made for a less effective AI overall.

Bug in ver 40.1. Upgraded unit capture city, and captured city become barbarian.Saved game below
Same explanation in detail
I had captured unit, upgraded to spearman, make a lot of experience and more stars and power. That was my most powerful unit. I captured enemy civilization/not barbarian/ city with that unit. Then the city become black, same as captured from barbarians. That unit can enter the captured city and in the same time to fight with barbarian units.

Attachments

• ee BC-41080=.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.5 MB · Views: 130
Was your upgraded spearman a Neanderthal warrior? Or do you have the Neanderthal Culture? If so, then it is by design that cities captured under these circumstances turn Barbarian (black). When you capture a city with one of these Hidden Nationality units you must bring in your regular (native culture) to capture and keep the city.

Bug in ver 40.1. Upgraded unit capture city, and captured city become barbarian.Saved game below
Same explanation in detail
I had captured unit, upgraded to spearman, make a lot of experience and more stars and power. That was my most powerful unit. I captured enemy civilization/not barbarian/ city with that unit. Then the city become black, same as captured from barbarians. That unit can enter the captured city and in the same time to fight with barbarian units.
Not a bug. You had captured the unit with a Hidden Nationality unit. As a result it had been given a promo to make it hidden nationality. That promo will disappear if the unit is brought into your nation (proof of ownership and the opportunity to register them as citizens) however, instead you had the ability to send arms to them in the field (upgrade to spearmen) which did not change that they were still Hidden Nationality. As a Hidden Nationality unit, when they captured the city, they did so for the barbarians because they were still keeping their own nationality secret, therefore a sort of secretive nationality capture of the city - which means you aren't flying your banners or putting the city under your command directly, just removing command from those who ran the place before. You can later enter with one of your own non-HN units and claim the city for yourself or you can leave it like that.

You actually found one of the strategic things you can do with captives that isn't expressly stated but could be interesting - you could build a captive army and field upgrade them so they never enter your lands and get quite a variety of unit types, not just ruffians, strike teams and criminals, and then take them to conquer others without a declaration of war. The problem with this approach is they pretty much have no promotions at first and if you want to keep them HN, you have to never bring them inside your borders, and replenishing their ranks can be a bit challenging.

1)My settlers can't enter raft, after I made first city on island. 2)How to move settler to an island with existing technologies?

Attachments

• ee May 17, BC-7137-Settler can't enter raft .CivBeyondSwordSave
    4 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
1)My settlers can't enter raft, after I made first city on island. 2)How to move settler to an island with existing technologies?
Can you merge rafts?

6 rafts merged, Settler can't enter
I'll take a look later but I have a suspicion it may have to do with how you may have promoted them - it's possible you cannot transport settlers after you assigned some particular promos. Again, I'll have to take a look in game.

I'll take a look later but I have a suspicion it may have to do with how you may have promoted them - it's possible you cannot transport settlers after you assigned some particular promos. Again, I'll have to take a look in game.
Thanks, I will make 3 brand new rafts with NO promotions at all! After promotion I don't see the "merge"button. Success! Woohoo! Thanks for advise!

Last edited:
Thanks, I will make 3 brand new rafts with NO promotions at all! After promotion I don't see the "merge"button. Success! Woohoo! Thanks for advise!
You were probably promoting them with the ability to carry 'people' unit types (and more of them), which, ironically, dramatically reduces how much you can carry on SM because it sets the rafts to an expectation that they will be transporting individuals like hunters and spies and GPs and such. It makes it look like you'll be able to carry more but it actually makes you carry less. It's complicated why it's difficult to keep that from being selectable for rafts and other ships like them.

1) Game too slow. 2) Duck stay in mountains for 1000 turns-don't move. 3) I killed all barbarians and other civilizations on continent, other civ can't send assassins, but some of my units still killed by assassins. How and why? This game is ***** laggy slow. Works only on 1 processor core. and f***ing with player.

1) You should be playing on the SVN version - the latest is much faster and the next release is coming soon.
2) Good choice for the Duck wouldn't you say?
3) Have the assassins spawned from within your own cities?

True, it does only have the capacity to run on one processor due to the EXE limitations. We multithreaded it only to find that with how limited we could do that, it wasn't worth the effort and wasn't saving time. Additionally, much work is being done to plan a more efficient Unit AI which is where the majority of delay really takes place.

3) Have the assassins spawned from within your own cities?

True, it does only have the capacity to run on one processor due to the EXE limitations. We multithreaded it only to find that with how limited we could do that, it wasn't worth the effort and wasn't saving time. Additionally, much work is being done to plan a more efficient Unit AI which is where the majority of delay really takes place.
Any option to use auto build in cities and avoid certain buildings that spawn assassins?

Last edited:
Any option to use auto build in cities and avoid certain buildings that spawn assassins?
Look at the Crime a building gives and the Civilopedia for Ruffian and Criminal units it may spawn. Don't just build a bldg because it give more :gold:. See what else it will do. The mouse Hover gives lots of details as does civilopedia.

As Joseph said but also too, a city with no crime will never spawn a criminal - the chances of doing so are based on the amount of crime you have in the city while the type is made possible by the buildings there, but even if you choose not to build types that make it possible, those buildings (unsanctioned and thus out of state control versions) will automatically be constructed based on crime levels as well. So ultimately the only answer is to keep crime out of your cities or it will spawn criminals which add more crime which spawn more criminals.

Top Bottom