Caveman2Cosmos

You've gotta completely replace that caveman2cosmos folder for it to run quite right. Delete the old one entirely first and yes, then place the folder from the zip file into the mods folder.
Done now.
So far so good.

EDIT: quick question. As this mod has been around for a while now, has anyone come to a conclusion of good traits/empire and other factors to start off at from the Prehistoric era?
From what I can tell, it is a mad rush to the tech that lets us build settlers. The first to build their first new city would seem to have a huge advantage over others, doubling everything they can do. If starting off too far behind, one might apt to restart. So much so that starting off in the next era would seem like the fairest start.
The Scientific trait would seem like a good choice as it boosts research.
Maybe Protective might be finally ok, due to all the walls and defenses one might build over the course of the game, just not to the point of playing fully defensive of course.
Usually Financial or Philosophical and good choices.
Any ideas?
Also, ok to move if I posted this in the wrong section.

Last edited:
I've ran Japan, Egypt, China, India, and Maya on successful games.
Spiritual seems to run well, as does protective. Of the 5 above mentioned, japan runs really great, followed by a close second with Maya.
I was waiting for the new update before I decided to just go all out with USA, which should be interesting.
Sorry, but considering the length of game time, and how often I can actually play more than a few turns, it's the best info I can share.

Done now.
So far so good.

EDIT: quick question. As this mod has been around for a while now, has anyone come to a conclusion of good traits/empire and other factors to start off at from the Prehistoric era?
From what I can tell, it is a mad rush to the tech that lets us build settlers. The first to build their first new city would seem to have a huge advantage over others, doubling everything they can do. If starting off too far behind, one might apt to restart. So much so that starting off in the next era would seem like the fairest start.
The Scientific trait would seem like a good choice as it boosts research.
Maybe Protective might be finally ok, due to all the walls and defenses one might build over the course of the game, just not to the point of playing fully defensive of course.
Usually Financial or Philosophical and good choices.
Any ideas?
Also, ok to move if I posted this in the wrong section.
My suggestion is to play with developing leaders, start with no positive traits, and Complex Traits, and explore your options as you go. Aside from lots of fixes, this is the most profound development this version offers. (Complex Traits - which is best used with Developing Leades and start with no positive traits)

Ok. ok. Good ideas.
I know nothing of developing leaders.
Do the leaders simply gain parts of their known traits over time, or could they end up with different traits depending our actions/playstyle over the course of the game?
Either way, it sounds like an interesting improvement.

Also, in the past we ran into OOS issues when we tried to run it multiplayer from my pc to my nephew's laptop here at the house. We eventually gave up.
As the newest update, have there been improvements in the area of multiplayer stability?

Ok. ok. Good ideas.
I know nothing of developing leaders.
Do the leaders simply gain parts of their known traits over time, or could they end up with different traits depending our actions/playstyle over the course of the game?
Either way, it sounds like an interesting improvement.

Also, in the past we ran into OOS issues when we tried to run it multiplayer from my pc to my nephew's laptop here at the house. We eventually gave up.
As the newest update, have there been improvements in the area of multiplayer stability?
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-crashes-v39-svn-after-july-20th-2019.647930/

Thanks. I saved that link so I can come back to it often.
#1 on their list was having events turned on, which we always had, so that might have been the issue right there.
I'll have to run a test game with the other suggestions. I hope it works out fine. My nephew gets back this weekend. I'm sure he will want to try the new update.

Yeah events are usually done in python which often means that synching issues weren't an understood concern for the modder and I'm so useless with Py myself that I am pretty clueless on how to fix those events. Might be able to figure out which ones cause trouble from which don't but solving it's another issue. We have some improved talent pool working with us at the moment so maybe soon we can take another look at those to determine what needs to be done to correct the issues there. OOS errors are some of the hardest things to debug in modding period.

I am surprised there aren't more leaders. I keep coming across trait combinations that don't exist, yet finding duplicates, including the same negative traits. strange.

I am surprised there aren't more leaders. I keep coming across trait combinations that don't exist, yet finding duplicates, including the same negative traits. strange.
This is because Complex Traits was designed for the options: Developing Leaders and No Positive Traits on Gamestart, where all leaders select their traits in play rather than being fixed to any.

It has not yet been that leaders have been given defaults that are different under Complex Traits so that they can embrace the full range of those new traits without the game crashing if the option isn't on and the leader can't access a trait that doesn't exist with the option off.

ok, I am starting a new game. Just so I understand this correctly, I check Complex Traits, Developing Leaders and No Positive Traits. This will allow traits to evolve over the course of the game somehow, no matter which leader I choose?
So if I choose George Washington who would normally be Cha/Pro for example, instead I will start with no traits and at some point, maybe gain 1 trait, then later gain another? neither having to be Cha or Pro? Even to the point that I could choose a combination that isn't on the current leader list, such as Seafaring/Deceiver for example?
Will this effect negative Traits as well? Will we be able to choose our Negative Trait?
This doesn't sound like it will effect UUs and UBs, which I don't see what they are in the Civilopedia.
Check "Focused Traits" as well?

Last edited:
ok, I am starting a new game. Just so I understand this correctly, I check Complex Traits, Developing Leaders and No Positive Traits. This will allow traits to evolve over the course of the game somehow, no matter which leader I choose?
So if I choose George Washington who would normally be Cha/Pro for example, instead I will start with no traits and at some point, maybe gain 1 trait, then later gain another? neither having to be Cha or Pro? Even to the point that I could choose a combination that isn't on the current leader list, such as Seafaring/Deceiver for example?
Exactly, and all the players, even the AI, will earn traits as they go. Traits are earned by reaching national culture earnings thresholds, making culture generation matter a bit more. You get a negative trait selection (yes you pick them) every 2 times you get to pick a positive trait as well. A positive trait selection can remove a negative trait and a negative trait selection can instead be used to remove a positive trait as well.

UUs and UBs are removed in this mod but when you build cultures you can get access to non-replacing unique units. Cultures are something you can collect.

Focused traits will conflict with Complex Traits. Pure traits is useable with this set if you like positive traits to be ALL good with no negatives and Negative traits to be ALL bad with no positives. I suggest not going with Pure Traits unless you have a strong opinion on that.

I left Focused traits and Pure traits out of the game.
I chose Humanitarian and Creative figuring the +2 Diplomacy and culture pop would be helpful early on. I took Barbaric as a Negative trait. It's culture pop penalty will be countered and it gives nice bonuses to units and unit production.
It's weird that some of the Positive traits are so bad that I avoided them and some of the negative traits are so good.
I mainly tried to avoid penalties.
Once all 3 are chosen, they won't keep appearing to change again, right?

It's weird that some of the Positive traits are so bad that I avoided them and some of the negative traits are so good.
You should propose why you feel that way in the forum thread for Complex Traits. I'm intrigued as to what you think is bad and good and why.
Once all 3 are chosen, they won't keep appearing to change again, right?
There are more selections to come at later culture thresholds reached. You can track where you are in relation to the next selection coming by hovering over the flag and looking at the info given there.

You should propose why you feel that way in the forum thread for Complex Traits. I'm intrigued as to what you think is bad and good and why.
It's not that they are Complex Traits, it's the base traits.
For example, if I want a leader with Scientific and Charismatic, both are Positive traits. Then I build military units at a massive -40% penalty! In a game where I know I will have to build military units pretty much all game long to conquer foes and defend my cities, that's pretty severe. That's gotta hurt in multiplayer too. Now, against AIs on noble, it probably won't matter much.

Financial usually thought of as a powerful trait as we need a healthy economy all game long. After all we have to cover for units and upgrades costs. Fin starts with a -2 happiness penalty? Bizarre. I would think a community would be thrilled that their leader has a better understanding of economic policies, tax policies, business and trade to help them boost the gold outcome of their own civilization.
Even if Fin is attached to a Viking-like civ where the gold coming in is attributed to plundering foes, the soldiers were usually happy with all that loot they brought home.
I could see if the happiness penalty is attached to a civic, like such as some late game anti-corporation civic that hates Fin leaders.
I think of Expansive like 1800s America with people rapidly settling the Great Plains and further west in search of land, silver and religious freedom. Why would this make the 5 largest cities unhappy? It solves overcrowdedness and the unhealthiness and the crime it would bring in larger cities, makes those settlers happy, and boosts economic production as these new cities farm and build new goods and services for the general economy. Right? I mean we probably wouldn't needed a telegraph or railroad if we just stayed in 5 or fewer cities? But became a necessity for sprawling civilizations.

Politician doesn't have a bonus to diplomatic situations?
The general idea that a people would elect someone who can speak on their behalf to foreign countries to benefit them is kind of what a politician does. At least a +1. It's not like countries are sending their worst communicators to other nations with a club to physically knock out a trade deal or end a war.
If there is some late game civic that grants a penalty to happiness because a population doesn't like politicians, similar to Fin, I could see that. idk, maybe there is, I haven't looked towards the end yet in civics, my apologies if it's there already. I'm still in the BCs in my new game.

Last edited:
PC, just my 2 cents, but it appears your only looking at the immediate gain or loss, not the long term benefits for the full game. Once you hit a certain tech, the additional bonuses/detriments begin to appear. Additionally, civics play a huge part in the Traits process, and modifiers ( + or -) are given once you attain those.
A lot of what you you would expect in a normal play through isn't going to be there, especially playing at Eternity speed. As you start heading into the later Era's, you'll begin to notice how your Trait choices begin to come into play, and actually reflect those choices you made.
I'm probably not explaining this very well, and I'm sorry for that. There is a lot of excellent info in the Sevopedia, C2C concepts ( while in game), and in the appropriate threads here.

I gained another trait, so now I am Humanitarian, Creative, Barbaric and Organized.
If this keeps up, I'll have all the traits, lol.

It could be Drak, I was just starting a new game. I haven't played C2C in over a year.
Turns have always been slow. I boosted up my computer since then, an 8 core processor and 64gb of RAM and I still can't get these turns to process faster, lol. Oh well.

Turns have always been slow. I boosted up my computer since then, an 8 core processor and 64gb of RAM and I still can't get these turns to process faster, lol. Oh well.

Civ4 is an old 32 bit game. So increasing cores, processor, RAM etc on 64 bit systems, will have no or very little effect.

But some new additions (C++ programmers) to the development team are working on improving the base game code (where they can - some is restricted). So you should see some speed improvements eventually.

Civ4 is an old 32 bit game. So increasing cores, processor, RAM etc on 64 bit systems, will have no or very little effect.

But some new additions (C++ programmers) to the development team are working on improving the base game code (where they can - some is restricted). So you should see some speed improvements eventually.
This would be so great.
I would love to see what they could do with some of this integrated into Civ4. gpuopen.com/gaming-product/vulkan/

I would love to see a Civ IV remastered edition for 64 bit. That would make my day :D
Knowing Take Two however, they'd probably turn it into a live service or something equally idiotic.

Ok hoping for a suggestion or two.... I loaded C2C onto my wife's new laptop, (and have deleted/reloaded) because of an odd bug. BTS plays fine, but when C2C is loaded, some mouse clicks do not work, for example she has to use the arrow keys to go to advanced and load a mod, and she cannot save... Any help is most appreciated.

Top Bottom