Cesear and Isabella getson my nerves

abeverat

Chieftain
Hello,

I have already played 7-8 games as warlord or noble and I found out the same scenario,

Independently of wich civ I choose to play with I always have in my starting position Cesear or Isabella next to me with no other room to expand than to invade me.

Lately I always choose open borders so that they can expand. But after almost 10 turns they always cancel the deal and attack me. This is really painfull because then I have to stop building improvments and go to war. Why cant I have a peacefull civ as my neighbourg, at least once ?

Alex

I agree that it is interesting and that it ahs been stated many times, but why in earth must they always be my neighbourgs which can only expand by attacking me.

If they were a little futher away I wouldn' t mind, at least for once :crazyeye:

Maybe try different map settings? Like if you always play continents try pangea or archipelago for a change.

Isabella is a pain. I have tried to appease her with gifts(tech or resources) or money and she will be fine for around 3-5 turns (I play noble and warlord). I would try the team islands map, helps put some water between you and the aggressor.

Teutonic_Knight said:
Isabella is a pain. I have tried to appease her with gifts(tech or resources) or money and she will be fine for around 3-5 turns (I play noble and warlord). I would try the team islands map, helps put some water between you and the aggressor.

That won't help you - the only thing that works is sharing her religion and maybe even have police state as civic - than she can be your best friend ;)

Exactly MRM. Sharing the same religion with Isabella is probably one of the only ways to appease her. If you are able to build the U.N. later, make everyone adopt free religion to screw her. Else your other choice is to build... Build Big... military that is and kick her arse and take her out of the game.

I've found the A.I that would fit the term "pain-in-the-arse" best would have to be Alexander. He is a psychotic b@stard that doesnt give a damn about relations whatsoever. I mean, look at the way Alexander is when you talk to him. His eyes are constantly looking everywhere, he leans in towards you... These are the makings of a complete psychopath that will stop at nothing to tear you apart. I havent had a game where I havent been at war with Alexander at least once.

Yep, those two AIs like to attack you no matter how good your relations are. If they´re in the game (which is most of the time) I´m at war with at least one of the two (and not because I started the war)

In my current game I have Isabella on a continent north from me and Caesar on a continent west from me.
Both tried to attack me during the medieval ages/renaissance and both got their attack force destroyed the first few turns after landing.
Both didn´t declare war again after I destroyed their ships and made peace with them, but as Caesar has a very low tech level and lacks oil (well he has a source at his coast but need plastics to build an offshore platform) and defensive traties with other AIs I decided to start a little war on my own, to get his aluminium mines and make sure he won´t be able to attack me again :D
It´s real fun to first bomb his riflemen and grenadiers which defend his cities with my stealth bombers and then blow up the remains with my MBTs :D

Strange Dude. Caesar never offers me anything but salads - although I must admit I usually PLAY as Caesar! Isabella is fine as long as you share religion - Sadan01 is right about the UN resolution too!

Most interesting about start locations - I've noticed I tend to get the same leaders too unless I specify in the beginning.

When isabella invites you to declare war on other people say yes and i never had any trouble with her. Tech and gold is easy to say yes to you should definatly be taking those demands. Also if its still not working it will help if you dont have religious issues. Also gift a tech if your not +4 trade relations. Might as well get that.

Did any of you play the no army challenge of civ3? Its where you win without any military units during the game. I cant say taht is possible in civ4 however the mindset of how to survive without any muscle is there.

Very strange. It's always Alexander and Montezuma who give me most hassle. Both just attack out of the blue, make peace after I've taken a couple of their cities then attack again later...practically destroying both our games. I once had Montezuma attack me when I had triple his score.

I do one of two things:
1) build a large military and eliminate her early

2) i choose my ai opponents and don't invite her to the party.

Jimbo30 said:
Very strange. It's always Alexander and Montezuma who give me most hassle. Both just attack out of the blue, make peace after I've taken a couple of their cities then attack again later...practically destroying both our games. I once had Montezuma attack me when I had triple his score.

I have to agree on Montezuma. He is absolutely insane, and nothing he does makes any sense. Thankfully he's usually pretty weak. I'd say Isabelle and Montezuma are my top 2 "What in god's name is wrong with you?" leaders.

Same for me. I have never -ever- had Isabella or Monty play reason with me. They've always had to fight.
Once in the beginning of a game my first encounter was with Monty. I thought "God, now I'm screwed." I started building lots of defensive units, Longbowmen, Crossbowmen, etc. Monty has the 'Pleased' -status with me, with some +6, because I've been trading with him on his terms and they've always become 'Fair'. By now Monty is my neighbour. I discover Democracy and change civics. Monty suddenly declares war on me. Because it was expected, I don't get that scared but and check why he suddenly went from 'I'm pleased, let's have some tea' to 'You moron! I will destroy you!': -6 for bad choice of religion, suddenly close borders spark tension and other stuff. I have all of my units dig in, because with those garrisons and a large tech-advantage against Monty, it's sure I will emerge victorious. Imagine my face when he rolls in a couple of legions of Horse Archers. I get heavy losses but beat them back.
Suddenly, Monty convinces all the other leaders of the world that I'm a threat to civilised behaviour and has them all - my former +3 -friends - declare war on me. I get beaten to pulp. I lose most of my cities and am extremely bitter especially of the loss of my capital. Suddenly after a few turns in on the assault on me, Monty wants peace on equal terms.I say yes, but it still leaves me with six angry leaders. I lose the game.
My point being is that Monty is a jackass.

if you're a neighbor of isabella you have two choices: share her religion or take her out as soon as you get axemen. She expands somewhat slowly but once she gets to the middle ages she really hits her stride.

If you think Isabella and Ceasar are bad, you should see Alexandar. He's truly insane.

Hehe... current game I'm one city from eliminating good ole Izzy... found her early, knew she was a wench, and after I wiped Saladin from my continent, I continued building troops... Got Astronomy, built galleys, and Izzy is buh bye... now, do I wipe Roosevelt off the continent too... hmmm...

Top Bottom