Château can be built on Floodplains without being adjacent to a bonus/luxury resource

robal1991

Warlord
Château can be built on Floodplains without being adjacent to a bonus/luxury resource.

1682327544230.png

Chateau can be built on Floodplains and they get +2 Gold if adjacent to Rivers. So it is encouraged to place them near Rivers. Most tiles adjacent to rivers are Floodplains.

If Chateau still needs to be adjacent to Luxury or Bonus resources, it severely limits the +2 Gold River adjacency bonus.

Château can be built on Floodplains without being adjacent to a bonus/luxury resource.
The adjacent resource requirement was added with the final NFP update (1.0.12.9) and the river requirement was removed. Anything prior to that only had the adjacent to river requirement. It's curious then that you can build a Château next to the maize w/o a river and also next to the river w/o a B/L resource.

Could you please post your save game.

Sure. No mods, no modes. The description says it must be placed adjacent to a Bonus or Luxury resource. But it seems it doesn't.
1682345761583.png

Attachments

• CATHERINE DE MEDICI (BLACK QUEEN) 120 1640 AD.Civ6Save
    494.6 KB · Views: 7
-- for future reference
In GS (1.0.0.290) they changed plunder amount from 25 to 15 and made it possible to build Chateau on floodplains
In April 2019 (1.0.0.314) they changed plunder type from culture to faith, added yield adjacency for wonders and luxuries
In June 2019 split wonders into early and late
In April 2021 (1.0.12.9) they removed "requires river" and added "same adjacent valid = false" and "requires bonus or lux = true", and XP2 yield adjacency were moved to the base game

tl;dr In the base game you can't build it on floodplains, in GS you can. However, in the base game you needed river, now floodplains are enough.

The issue is imho with the Improvement_ValidFeatures table. It has higher priority than reqs placed in the main Improvements table. Ofc, we don't know if by design or by mistake. So, since GS allows to build Chateau on Floodplains, then it is enough. Lux/bon adjacent is not checked.
Reverting this back is not reasonable imho, since Features block placing improvements, so one couldn't place a Chateau near the river in many cases, which is like their most known characteristics. So, floodplains need to stay...

All in all I think this is by design. In the base game you needed a river to build it, and floodplains were rather rare (I think?) In XP2 floodplains are quite common, meaning there is a river. Imho, "requires river" was traded for "floodplains".
To balance (but same problem was in the base game - you could place them one by another along the river) they introduced more req - no adjacent chateau and needs a resource. Plus some bonus from such situation.
Ofc this means that you can also build it far away from the river... but I suppose there are Chateaus in France not by the river?

The only change that could be done is re-introduce "river adjacent" to forbid away-from-river placement. I'd rather just clarify the description by mentioning that you can always build on floodplains. [Edit: I did it in Real Fixes]

Last edited:
Top Bottom