Challenge-XV-02

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we are running a series of ten games called the Hall of Fame Challenge Series. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings of one of the games will be counted towards the Challenge.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
(*) Games must be played using the >> BUFFY MOD 3.19.003 <<
(*) Games to be submitted via the >> Civ IV Hall of Fame Website <<
(*) New players, please >> register << using your CFC forum name

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Speed: Normal
  • Map Type: Highlands
  • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Celt (Brennus)
  • Opponents: Must include America (Lincoln), Aztec (Montezuma), China (Mao Zedong), France (De Gaulle), Mongolia (Genghis Khan), Native America (Sitting Bull), Ottoman (Suleiman), Russia (Stalin), Viking (Ragnar Lodbrok), Zulu (Shaka)
  • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.003s
  • Date: 15th December 2014 to 15th May 2015
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Oh, plea-ea-ea-ease!!!
Civ4ScreenShot0799.JPG

Ouch!!!

Just rolling my maps for this one now....

Cant get mapfinder working so its double annoying if a good map gets ruined up.

Cant get mapfinder working so its double annoying if a good map gets ruined up.

Getting Mapfinder to work is easy. Normally, you just have to adjust the paths in the BUFFY-configuration-menu, like c:\user\etc.

Have finally managed to submit for this one, getting them all to like you is a right pain!

The obvious ploy is to dogpile Lincoln, and if he dies choose another AI . In th game I submitted I did not even meet Lincoln until near the end, so this wasn't possible. I did however manage to get +1 from nearly all of them for sharing techs, which requires giving them 20!

Religion sharing is also not trivial, either. I wish I could have included Hatty or Gandhi as well, just for early religion spreading and then having a great target to dogpile.

One thing I would definitely do next time is spend more time connecting all the empires with roads, sharing resources is such an easy +2 you have to take it if you can

Ok..now I have to play this again. Screw you, Neil! :aargh::lol: My game should of been better, but I just lost out on the Mids. (Mao had an unbelievable cap in my game with stone) Almost rage quite there. Having to move my GE across the empire several turns to the best production city didn't help matters either

Yep, getting those trade routes is important, but quite a pain with all the land. I doubled up on workers to dedicate a couple to roading. Sometimes you get lucky with river networks/lakes.

I used both Lincoln and SB as whipping boys in my game. When an Ai made peace with one I then bribed him an the other...rinse repeat. Those two constantly were fighting 2 or 3 AIs or more at a time...ha

I gifted so many techs. I had +2 or more with some AIs. I'm interesting the coding for this feature. Seems some AIs take way more techs than others to start getting the positive diplo. Not sure what is tied to or if tech value is part of it.

I gifted so many techs. I had +2 or more with some AIs. I'm interesting the coding for this feature. Seems some AIs take way more techs than others to start getting the positive diplo. Not sure what is tied to or if tech value is part of it.

If you would have read "Civ Illustrated" carefully, you would know this ^^

Well, it is right in there indeed. Somehow I missed it, although I do use that often..and recommend it.

Why you no play Challenges, Serial? :cool: Neil and Pollina need some competition. They don't get much from me. Oh..and aitkensam appears to be quite the playah as well.

wow..that is a really be discrepancy in # of techs needs for +1 with AIs. Looks likes either 7, 10 or 20 techs needed with different AIs. Quite a jump from even 10 to 20. No real rhyme or reason to it. Monty only needs 7, while Gandhi needs 20.

Well, it is right in there indeed. Somehow I missed it, although I do use that often..and recommend it.

Why you no play Challenges, Serial? :cool: Neil and Pollina need some competition. They don't get much from me. Oh..and aitkensam appears to be quite the playah as well.

I want to become Deity Elite Quattromaster Limone . No time to play non-Deity-games, or games that with setups that cannot be competetive.

Make a Deity challenge and allow that players may choose the best / most competetive settings, and you'll see me play :) .

Well, Challenge #8 is a Deity Diplo game with France, and pretty much anything goes (no restrictions and you can pick the AIs..and the French leader you want). You can at least try that. It's even on Epic. I thought you might like the Settler Marathon Challenge as well for kicks. Several of the Challengers are fairly quick endeavors, so maybe you can find the time.

You can always suggest games in the pre-Challenger thread as well.

I 2nd lymond, you should try some Challenges Sera! It would be very interesting to see what a player of your caliber could accomplish in #3 (inca, prince, cultural high score game). But that would drop me down to 2nd with no chance of ever reaching 1st, so yeah, don't play that one... :please: Another interesting game is the emperor boreal space game, #10. Would be interesting to see what is possible with that setup as well.

And then of course there is the deity game, #8. At least you should show us mortals how that one is to be played. ;)

Challenge 8 looks really interesting, and I still need 2 games in the League of Nations with France, so I have 0 games with France until now! I planned on playing a Warlords Space Colony with Louis, because like that, I could get 3 things at once, map, Civ and type of victory! I'll think about it though, because I have never played a non-OOC non-cheese diplomatic victory, so it could be really interesting :) .
Atm I'm still stuck in a Huge Marathon Global Highlands Domination game, but when I've finished that, I'll play Challenge 8 with 90% chance.

The Inca Highscore game I'll not play, elitetroops, promise.

I'm also not keen on any Boreal games for the moment, I simply hate that mapscript. I know that it can be strong with all the trees, kovacsflo once beat one of my cultural games using a Boreal map.

Btw., out of interest, which highscore did you get elitetroops?

Sera

Btw., out of interest, which highscore did you get elitetroops?
You can see the date and score of all accepted games, even those not yet published, on the HOF site. So 310k, sure can be improved. I'd say combining culture with high score is quite an interesting challenge. So much to build...

310k can definately be improved. I played a game with 3.6M highscore once, and WastinTime beat me again scoring 4.8M! I guess, that those Highscores would also be possible on Prince, even with the lower bonus, maybe it'd get close, but I'm very sure that I could score 3M+ .

If you want to improve your score, there are writeups of my game (Reply #5) and of WastinTime's game (search for 5 Million with Inca Rush 2012) . It's basically all about reaching Sushi early enough. The micro management of those games is pure horror, because the adivsor doesn't work the Food once a city becomes unhappy, and of course, all cities will be unhappy in those games.

Forget about the numbers, I just saw that the game is on normal speed and not Marathon.

Still, there's probably a lot that can be improved if the highest score 'til now is 310k.

Have finally managed to submit for this one, getting them all to like you is a right pain!
You know you could cheese it with the right (sneaky) settings... :devil:

(I hope lymond will disallow a certain game option. I'm very tempted to use it for this one. :mischief:)

Not sure which option you are referring to, but as long as it is a valid HOF option and not restricted for this particular games settings, then it is allowed

I assume you mean Random Personalities.

I hadn't thought of that, and you are correct that it would probably make it a lot easier. Not really in the spirit of the game though.
I agree it should be restricted

Yeah, one could easily create saves until one has Mansa and some easy to please AI in the game to finish 100-200 years faster than with the intended settings. It's totally not in the spirit of the game and should be disallowed for all challenges and gauntlets with preselected opponents.

Top Bottom