[R&F] Chandragupta Maurya/India First Look

Yeah, if every leader has some crazy/weird ability then they stop being interesting. It seems like the new leader should be pretty good combined with the stepwells--one early military expansion then grow your new cities.
He‘s pretty good combined with the Varu...

A thought on strategy: The Stepwell has another dimension to it now as it allows Indian cities to grow bigger, and since loyalty pressure is applied per population they can probably use it as part of a strategy to flip cities by growing taller at an earlier point. Since the Khmer have similar bonuses the first look video doesn't serve as a great example but if you look at the screenshot below you see they are planning to build an entertainment district above Chennai and wile it may serve to boost amenities for the other two cities in the screenshot it may also be to run "Bread and Circuses" to flip these two cities that seem kind of cornered here.

upload_2017-12-27_15-35-22.png

I agree. I also think that by choosing the warmonger abilities instead of religious or constructive abilities, they set him up as the antithesis of Gandhi, which gives India in general a more diverse set of playstyle options.
Though maybe not as much as antithesis as they think - Ghandi's increased warmonger penalties also work if he's the one declaring war afaik ;)

Chandra is also imo the best looking leader i've seen for civ vi.

What? Have you seen France, Korea, or Egypt yet?

This guy looks like he's gonna try to sell me some fried dough at the county fair at a significant mark up. Or a villain from Superfriends.

I can't wait to dow him and hear him whine.

"Hey, you got something in your 'stache, man. Right here. Looks like defeat."

I agree. I also think that by choosing the warmonger abilities instead of religious or constructive abilities, they set him up as the antithesis of Gandhi, which gives India in general a more diverse set of playstyle options.

That's a great point, I like to role-play most of the time and now there'll be a way to use Varus guilt-free :) And with him present as a strong contrast, it'll definitely make me appreciate playing as (or facing off vs.) Gandhi more.

Yeah, if every leader has some crazy/weird ability then they stop being interesting. It seems like the new leader should be pretty good combined with the stepwells--one early military expansion then grow your new cities.
I hadn't considered that, that'll certainly add more to his empire-building theme :) Funny how just one change can bring up a large range of new possibilities.

Not a leader I'd ever play as, but I like his design. Here's hoping that his inclusion means they're adding Jainism as a religion; it's currently the only major modern religion to be absent (along with the historically significant Tengriism--one could also make a case for the absence of Oriental Orthodoxy, the notably absent major division of Christianity)...

Why are people saying Cyrus is underpowered compared to Chandragupta? Cyrus gets the movement bonus for all wars, not just wars against close neighbors after discovering military training. And he has an entire second ability that Chandragupta doesn't have, where his occupied cities don't suffer any yield penalties.

I agree. Particularly where it matters most - pvp. India is handicapped by the cb and research time. Cyrus can build 2 slingers and 3 warriors and raise hell.

Having said that, though, as a player that doesn't dow without just cause, and who plays tsl russia alot, speedy varu on steroids will make me more cautious, even with defenders, which i am never without. 3 varu rushing in out of the fog? I will have to be more careful with placement of border guards.

Fortunately, the ai doesn't maximize flanking opportunities.

What? Have you seen France, Korea, or Egypt yet?
Allright, it's your opinion. However, when I saw this, I just had to react :p

France? Ok. CdM is quite interesting in her in-game animations, personality, and switching between French and Italian. Korea? Well, she looks somewhat mediocre to me. But Egypt? Cleo is making me cringe whenever I meet her. Seriously, her war & defeat animations are the scariest for me :shifty:

Persia, America, Russia, Arabia... These are some of the best to me :p

Yes, very much. We had 4 reveals of 9 now and while governors and loyalty marginally play a role, I‘m still waiting for a civ/leader that really built for the opportunities the new mechanics give.

Yeah, I've liked each one individually, but together it seems a little underwhelming so far. The new features aren't given a prominent role in any of the leaders' or civs' abilities, and probably won't be a major part of any strategies involving them. Here's hoping the Cree do something flashy with alliances next week.

I'm expecting that their female "interesting ages system interaction" leader that Anton mentioned is going to be the pinnacle of new feature usage in R&F.

With Chandragupta as the alt leader, it seems to me we have a pretty limited pool of who this could be. Tamar does seem like a real possibility this time since Boudicca is still a great general, although I personally think it will be Maria Theresa (even though Eagle doesn’t think Austria will be back). Without really sitting down and thinking about options, what other realistic possibilities remain for this female/golden age leader?

+5 Strength and +2 Movement suits the Varu very well.

All you need is to satisfy the condition of territorial expansion.
Prepare settlers may be a good idea. Also be careful about loyalty since you have to settle close to other Civs in order to fulfill the requirement of War of Territorial Expansion.

His look makes up for it?

While I am gay and while I like his design, I don't like him in that way. :lol:

I was hoping for some kind of economic/road bonus (+1 movement on road, tiles with a road give +1 gold), which would be more versatile instead of getting pidgeonholed into an early war. (which I HATE because I play this game for the empire building and stifling my growth because of early warfare ruins part of my enjoyment). This game has enough psycho leaders as is (i.e. all of them because agenda's suck.)

Last edited:
Is this worship building new or is it just one I've never built?

Attachments

• chrome_2017-12-27_17-22-05.jpg
    chrome_2017-12-27_17-22-05.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom