• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Change Required resource

Make a mod with an XML file containing:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<GameData>
    <Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>
        <Update>
            <Where UnitType="UNIT_..."/>
            <Set ResourceType="RESOURCE_..."/>
        </Update>
    </Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements>
</GameData>
You can also use "<Set Cost=.../> if you want it to cost more than 1 instance of that resource.

I actually found it in the units.xml where it sets the required resource for each unit.
Yes, but it's not recommended to change the core files. It's better to create a mod to change it (such as the example he gave you).

For starters, if you alter the core files, the next update will overwrite your changes. ;)

Yes, but it's not recommended to change the core files. It's better to create a mod to change it (such as the example he gave you).

For starters, if you alter the core files, the next update will overwrite your changes. ;)

I had a look at the mod buddy thing and I can't figure out so I just directly edit the xmls. I make a copy of the original version and a copy of the edited version in case of problems.

I know Civ 5 is apparently very moddable but i wish there is an editor like there was in civ 3 to be able to make simple changes.

I had a look at the mod buddy thing and I can't figure out so I just directly edit the xmls. I make a copy of the original version and a copy of the edited version in case of problems.

I know Civ 5 is apparently very moddable but i wish there is an editor like there was in civ 3 to be able to make simple changes.

Yes, but "very moddable" is usually the opposite of "easily moddable." Most editors of the type you are referring to are extremely limited in what they can do, and hence are not very open to expansive modding; you will not normally be able to add entirely new features to the game with them.

I had a look at the mod buddy thing and I can't figure out so I just directly edit the xmls.

Then take the time to figure it out. Do NOT just go around changing the base game files; even if you keep backups, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. (Also, it'll prevent you from using some other people's mods.)

XML modding in ModBuddy is EASY compared to any other kind of real modding. Now, it would have been nice if they had a Civ3-style modding frontend for simple changes that did your XML changes for you, and we still might see that sort of thing from other people. (There's already something similar made for tech modding, over in the modding utilities forum.) But once you understand even the basics of XML modding, there's a lot you can easily do.

Top Bottom