Changes to existing civs?

black213

Emperor
To those lucky american players, how have the existing civs changed if at all?

Songhai: 3x gold from encampments/pillaging, and land units have War Canoes (2x embarked defense and additional embarked sight) and Amphibious promotions

Ottomans: 1/3 naval maintenance and all melee naval units have Prize Ships (Defeated enemy naval unit joins your side) promotion

Siam: 50% increase to food, culture, and faith from friendly city-states

England: +2 naval movement and one extra Spy

Those are the only changes I notice to the civs' unique abilities, though I think there are some unique buildings that got some tweaks related to faith as well.

Nice to see the spy thing for england, so some are being edited to mix better with the expansion, good news :)
It would also be nice if some other civs than that 1 new one has some religious aspects, perhaps Egypt for some religious cult boni or something.

Ottomans: 1/3 naval maintenance and all melee naval units have Prize Ships (Defeated enemy naval unit joins your side) promotion

What is a Melee naval unit?

What is a Melee naval unit?

It's a naval unit that does not have a ranged attack, but a melee attack.

The name kindof gives it away :)

Aztecs got their UA changed?

Aztec UA is the same, although because most units have higher strength, it's gotten better. A Brute now gives 8 culture. The Jaguar has been slightly improved though. Now +33% in both Jungle and Forest, and heals 25 points when killing an enemy. Barb farming is pretty easy, and because the barbs live a bit longer, you have 30 XP in no time.

Glad to see the Ottoman UP get a little (needed) boost.

Babylionan archers replace Archers or Composite-Bowmen?

Aztec UA is the same, although because most units have higher strength, it's gotten better. A Brute now gives 8 culture. The Jaguar has been slightly improved though. Now +33% in both Jungle and Forest, and heals 25 points when killing an enemy. Barb farming is pretty easy, and because the barbs live a bit longer, you have 30 XP in no time.

Does the heal-on-kill promotion still carry over when upgrading the unit?

I do believe there is a little gloating to be had by those of us who called that Bushido would not be changed for Japan.

:woohoo:

Whoa, maybe this will motivate me to play the Ottomans for the first time since I got Civ V two years ago. :crazyeye:

I thought in the stream last night it looked like Germany had something like "extra faith from 5+ pop cities" or something, any confirmation on that?

I thought in the stream last night it looked like Germany had something like "extra faith from 5+ pop cities" or something, any confirmation on that?

It's probably a belief in their religion - several of them give effects when they have five followers or more in a city.

French Foreign Legion now replaces the Great War Infantry(base damage of 50) which upgrades to Regular Infantry (base damage 100) like 2 techs later. Was kinda Sad over that.

Also Germany's UA seems to be worse or maybe im bad. It takes a lot longer to kill a barb in camp because of the combat changes which seems to be a lot less chances to use the UA making it that much worse

I don't think Spain's actual unique ability has changed, but from the few quick games I played it seems like on most maps Natural Wonders are much more likely to be located close to a founding city. I can't confirm yet that this is the case, but in 5 of 7 starts I found a Natural Wonder within a few turns of starting.

Does the heal-on-kill promotion still carry over when upgrading the unit?

Yep. All three promotions (Heal-on-Kill, Faster Forest/Jungle movement and +33% Combat bonus in Forest/Jungle) carry over.

Now there is an interesting little tidbit. Jaguars upgrade to Spearmen if you hit an Ancient Ruin, as do all Warrior-class units. Spearmen upgrade to Pikemen, but Pikemen no longer upgrade to Rifles, they upgrade to Lancers (and Lancers upgrade to Anti-Tank). So you could have a unit that can move 4 tiles through forest and jungle and have a 33% bonus.

Glad to see the Ottoman UP get a little (needed) boost.

A less flashy (the new UA is amazing and pretty cool) but possibly even better is how much longer Musketmen stay relevant. Meaning you can spend longer building up Janisarries before having to get Rifling. Very happy over both those buffs to the Ottomans.

Top Bottom