Changes to some annoying name errors, plus Canada civ

I think scientific and industrious is actually more accurate than any other potential combination. Due to proximity, language, religion, etc. the U.S. and Canada have almost always functioned quite cooperatively rivalry or no. A good deal of scientific and industrial power that we think of as "American" is often part or wholly Canadian. Beyond national pride on both sides, and the usualy regional flavor, very little separates America and Canada. British Columbians are no more different from New Yorkers than New Yorkers are to Arkansas rednecks.

Um....Tarantulas, dont you think the Coloseum would be a good one to replace with an arena?

hmm... would work... but that would give it too earlie in the game.... maybe the police station would work better.. more of a 'modern' tech

Ya I guess you are right. The police would be the best.

I wondered how this thread stayed active so long - this may be the most controversial Canada has ever been in anything. Wherever I am living in the world, I will always be at heart a Montrealer and a Canadian - and wherever I have lived (four other countries) or travelled (most everywhere), being a Canadian was just fine with the locals. If any country in the world can be considered to be civilized, it is Canada and that is widely recognized all over the world.

Nevertheless, arguments based on being around 6000 years ago are valid - but if you limit civs to existing now and 6000 years ago - you have eliminated almost eveyone (what maybe Babylon, Egypt and China?), not much of a game.

As for the Iroquois, they as shorthand for N.A. natives are just as valid as the Aztecs, Incans or Mayans - none of whom meet our Western Eurpean based definition of civilizations (scientific, technological and industrial) so all are either equally valid or invalid - and lets face it, if we use the Eurocentric definition and longevity requirements, there aren't any valid civilizations at all - makes for a short and unsatisfying gaming experience. So play whoever you like and mod whatever new civilizations you want, they are all equally invalid. It's a game - enjoy it.

What i like the most about this game is that i can create a civilisation from scratch, using the tribe or nation that i choose, whether or not it was around back in 4000 or 6000 BC. (And, as has been noted here, the vast majority of them weren't).

This is a game. We are creating Civilizations. If you want to eliminate any civ as a starting option for historical reasons, you have to eliminate all of them, except for the few who were there at that time.

This is a game. Fantasy. For one afternoon i can fantasize that the Babylonians haven't gone into oblivion. That China is the first nation to reach the stars. That the Iroquois have built the Great Wall. That Canada was completely annihilated back in 2800 BC by the Zulus... but that because of it's culture it conquered the whole world the very next week.

And in all cases, with good'ol' Richelieu at the helm. :king:

First of all, the plural form of a moose, is moose... there are three moose standing there...

Second, I believe that the Telephone was patented (I cant back this up, but I read it somewhere..) in the town of Brantford, Ontario, Canada. And If you go to Brantford, there is a good sized museum on the telephone and such..

Third, yes, Baseball was first played in Canada.. The town of Beachville actually.

Basketball.. Basketball was first played in Canada too, (some university or something on the east coast area) and was played useing a peach basket.

thats about it I guess

For the record, the first game of North American football was played between my alma mater, McGill, and Harvard in the early 1870's, which gives us a 50% claim on that sport as well. I was at the 100th anniversary of that game at McGill sometime during my college career. I am unable to narrow the date done more precisely due to my seminal research in the Chemistry Dept. on amber fluids containing short chain hydroxyl derivatives of alkanes. Beer that is; real beer, not the slop brewed in billion gallon lots by Anheiser Busch.

Hey, being Canadian I will enjoy trying out this mod!

One suggestion: although it would come later in the game, how about an Avro Arrow UU that would be better than the F-15 and available sooner? Just a thought, if you can maki it, let me know!

Go Canada!

Some French cities are misspellt :
  • Orleans -> Orléans
  • Lyons -> Lyon
  • Rheims -> Reims
  • Marseille -> Marseille
  • Besancon -> Besançon
And Napoleon is Napoléon

:love:

(Ca fait vraiment bizarre de voir ces villes écrites comme ça...)

First time i read this thread... one type of question I notice all the timeis what is considered a civlization? But I dont think it belongs in this thread. Everybody has their own SCHOLAR opinions aobut it (that is if they have any education at all).

I just have to say one thing. I love Canada. I love Montreal. I am Indian (from India) originally, but Canada really is one of the best places I have ever seen, ESPECIALLY MOntreal. People are so nice here... For all those doubting Canada's abilities as a scientific and industrious nation, please read up before you talk, know before you say anything against anybody based out of your own damn sterotypes.

I think all civs belong in CIV 3.. I was disappointed to see that they included only 16 of them. We should have had more.. CTP2 (i know a lot of ppldont like CTP or CTP2) had 32 CIVs in it.. (I never played CTP2 personally).

We should be given a chance to be anybody, represent any country or civilization cause after all, when it all comes down to, its a game.. a fantasy.. that you live in while you play.. controlling a CIVILIZATION... all these RTS, turn based or simulation games, thats what they are all about.. getting the player lost in a fantasy world of his own.. right? We love to escape reality, thats why we watch TV and we play video-games.. and if the game was all about Historical simulation to the last dot, well then we would have trouble.. dont u guys think?? Besides, it will be very hard to represent history, the era around 4000-5000 BC is hotly debated as to what kind of civs actually existed back then.. history talks based on bias..

anyhow.. good job for making the mod :) i'll take some of your changes and put it in my game for SURE! :)

Thanks Dude

Shastram
P.S. Canada is a GREAT NATION.

I could not have said it better Shastram

STAY TUNED!!!!
under construction----->>>North West Mounted Police UNIT (animated) (sounds)(Offensive ATT 1 Defence ATT 2 Movement 2) (Upgrades to a RNWMP)
Under Construction---->>>Royal North West Mounted Police Unit (animated) (sounds)(offensive ATT 2 Defencive Att 4 Movement 2)(Upgrades to a Mountie)
Under Construction---->>>Mountie Unit (animated) (sounds)(Offensive ATT 4 Defensive ATT 8 Movement 2) (Upgrades to a RCMP)
Under Construction---->>>Royal Canadian Mounted Police Unit (animated) (sounds) (offensive ATT 8 Defensive ATT 16 Movement 3)

Here is a Sample of what the Mountie should look like!!!!

The Following is what i had i mind for the units.. These units would all have the same requirement as the Horseman-->Knights-->Calvary and Mech Inf. The Canadian Civ would have these units Exclusive but would not be able to build the others.. Notice the Higher Def. to the Off as compared to the Horseman knights etc etc. A defensive Unit that Can Get Around would be nice..
Since I like to play Civ with the Culture Theme these are nice units for myself and carry a lot more weight with the defending cities as opposed to attacking them.

The graphics for the RCMP will be Quite a bit Different then those of the NWMP-->RNWMP-->Mounites Units(prolly leaving these all the same) as the RCMP unit WILL be a Police Car with flashing Blue And Red cherries maybe a couple Ambers in the Back Windshield.. Acompanying this unit Will be Sounds. (first thing that comes to mind is a siren)(Freeze this is the police)(Pull your car over to the side of the road)(you have the right to remain Silent)Could use some input.. COME ALL YOU CANUCKS!!!!.. i know you've been arrested for one thing or another.. Help me in designing these units and together WE SHALL CONQUER THE WORLD!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey, Great Idea!
I wouldn't have near enough patience (sp?) to compleate an animated unit, let alone four. One thing though, I'm Canadian, and it kicks a$$, but an attack of 8, and a defence of 16, thats like a panzer I think... How is that going to really work out for realism's sake? I love what your doing, don't get me wrong but could you explain that to me?

I dont know, mabey like one of those 8 wheeled LAV-25's that are unique to Canada that the RCMP uses would do pretty good for those specs (A8 D16). Just my opinion though
Keep up the good work, an dont let me discourage you!!

Originally posted by possum
Hey, Great Idea!
I wouldn't have near enough patience (sp?) to compleate an animated unit, let alone four. One thing though, I'm Canadian, and it kicks a$$, but an attack of 8, and a defence of 16, thats like a panzer I think... How is that going to really work out for realism's sake? I love what your doing, don't get me wrong but could you explain that to me?

Okay the best way i could use to describe this is this.. I'm not looking for a Offensive unit as more as a defensive unit. still one with mobility. When it came to the RCMP.. if you noticed as in the units b4.. the units double their attack and doubled their Defence.
The only thing i could use to describe this is that the Police don't work in Singular force but in multiples of thousands. they aren't offensive but very defensive. they have many different vehicles they use from sled dogs to snow moblies to Police cars. etc etc etc
I just want them to be represented by having a Police car as how the common city folk like me see them. I hope this helps in figuring out that the numbers for these units are indeed correct. And that they are not too overpowering.. besides.. you can change these numbers to whatever you'd like to change them to.

Originally posted by Sunfirey2k
and it's usually Americains, no NOT ALL Americains, I know many and they don't feel this way, it's usually some southern hick who has just come out from hiding under a rock)

Who are you to be bashin southerners ya fool of a canadian I was get all set to like and respect yall and you and to get on there and say something stupid like that. I like canada and even wanted to play it a couple of times but you just make me sick. You think you've got stereotypes think about us. And if you want people to stop thinking canadians are brainless and unimportant stop acting like it.

P.S. Canada as a Civ is a good idea but i would like the game to have a lot more civs period.

>Who are you to be bashin southerners ya fool of a canadian I >was get all set to like and respect yall and

Well if your taking offence to the comment you can't blame me for calling you the hick, yes I know not all southerner's are hicks(in fact I've been to the south and find the majority pleasent and very friendly) but don't tell me there are none of those inbread freaks out there who have Aunt Mom and Uncle Dad(we get Jerry Springer up here to ya know.

>you and to get on there and say something stupid like that. I >like canada and even wanted to play it a couple of times but >you just make me sick. You think you've got stereotypes think >about us.

HELLO!!!! why on earth do you think this is even going on? Because of the STEREOTYPES most Americains have about(or as Americains have been brainwashed to think, ABOOT) us Canadians and our igloo ways, Eh. If it makes you sick then you need to have a reality check and see what YOUR country has as views of the neighbours to the north. Sadly it's the moinority of Americains that know what Canadians are like and how our two countries are pretty much identical.

>And if you want people to stop thinking canadians are brainless >and unimportant stop acting like it.

Well with that brain freeze from the ice or the hockey sticks hitting us in the head it's hard. Besides I don't have to defend myself to you, all I have to do is quote the molsen commercial "I AM CANADIAN" damn proud!

>P.S. Canada as a Civ is a good idea but i would like the game to >have a lot more civs period.

I agree with you on that, any Civ that anyone wants SHOULD be allowed, if you can make it then your free to.

SFY2k

P.S. Remember Salt Lake City Hockey? Double Gold!!!!!!!

P.S.S After I posted I found something out... I have to take back my southern hick comment... they are moving north to Detroit it seems(this is a Detroit Radio station) http://www.971fm.com/kt.htm

Originally posted by Shastram
First time i read this thread... one type of question I notice all the timeis what is considered a civlization? But I dont think it belongs in this thread. Everybody has their own SCHOLAR opinions aobut it (that is if they have any education at all).

I just have to say one thing. I love Canada. I love Montreal. I am Indian (from India) originally, but Canada really is one of the best places I have ever seen, ESPECIALLY MOntreal. People are so nice here... For all those doubting Canada's abilities as a scientific and industrious nation, please read up before you talk, know before you say anything against anybody based out of your own damn sterotypes.

I think all civs belong in CIV 3.. I was disappointed to see that they included only 16 of them. We should have had more.. CTP2 (i know a lot of ppldont like CTP or CTP2) had 32 CIVs in it.. (I never played CTP2 personally).

We should be given a chance to be anybody, represent any country or civilization cause after all, when it all comes down to, its a game.. a fantasy.. that you live in while you play.. controlling a CIVILIZATION... all these RTS, turn based or simulation games, thats what they are all about.. getting the player lost in a fantasy world of his own.. right? We love to escape reality, thats why we watch TV and we play video-games.. and if the game was all about Historical simulation to the last dot, well then we would have trouble.. dont u guys think?? Besides, it will be very hard to represent history, the era around 4000-5000 BC is hotly debated as to what kind of civs actually existed back then.. history talks based on bias..

anyhow.. good job for making the mod :) i'll take some of your changes and put it in my game for SURE! :)

Thanks Dude

Shastram
P.S. Canada is a GREAT NATION.

It's a game; it's a fantasy; but every fantasy has a sense in it. (I wish Civilization was a more realistic game.)

And you say "Canada is a great nation" just because you moved to there! It makes me sick!

And to Canadian mod makers: What's going to come next? Switzerland mod?

No offense... Really... Let's be sensible for a moment.

Top Bottom