• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Charlemagne Mod?

How does a charlagmane mod appeal for you

• Meh. i dont care make it if you want.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way im not into holy roman empire stuff

• Aww man i was going to make one of these

• Total voters

MasterMcMilly

Fatso Migee
I tried searching in the forums for a good Rise of the holy roman empire mod. Dont blame me for my historical inaccuracy but i only really know about ancient european history like rome not medieval. but heres the civs:

Franks
Carlogians
Saxons
Lombards (city list needed)
Aragon
Exarchate of Ravenna (Papal states)
Venice
England
Ireland
Brittany (city list needed)
Cornwall
Slavs (city list needed)
Danes (city list needed)
Avars (city list needed)
Byzantines. (italy city list needed)
extra civ 1
extra civ 2

I have used a map too, i forgot who it was its based around france and england if you have anything to say reply here.

I have Brittany because: A. they will prevent getting franks/burgundy too big. B. Too prevent seeing extra large gaps all over france. C. 1 more leaderhead!

Precenteges: (yipee)
Civs: 30%
Leaderheads: 0%
Resources 0% (map)
Resources 100% (rules)
Tech tree 0%
units 0%
buildings 0%
map 100%
workers,citizens,difficultys,etc. 0%
civlopedia 0%
Total: 23%

Requests:

Some units

CITY LISTS!!!! (top priority)

Put resources on map

help me with city placing for cities

civlopedia

anything that you think me be an imporvment

I suppose if you're going to make a Charlemagne mod, you'll have to spell his name properly. ;)

Anyway, I voted yes. The Dark Ages rule!

thanks sorry about his name lol. Told you i wasnt good in dark ages. I like all European history except the colinization period where they killed the new world. and also i dont care about modern stuff. (except for the fact im living in it). Ill have to switch a lot of things around. But theres a new civ! Bahaea (a western modern france province if theres an important western tribe tell me to switch the name.

well if its the historical charlemagne-period you shouldn't have holy roman empire, because it was founded much later. charlemagne himself lived in the 8th century, reigned around from 760-810 as i remember. but the declaration of the empire happened in 962 by germany.

Edit: i Renamed it to Brittany because Bahaea was a province and Brittany is a Dark Ages Kingdom with a Duke from i map i saw about dark aged france from 1035 to 1453.

1035-1453 is hardly the Dark Ages! Not that anyone uses the term "Dark Ages" any more anyway, of course.

I don't think it makes any sense to have Venice in a scenario about Charlemagne. I'm not sure about the Papal States either, although Charlemagne's relations with the Papacy were an important element of the politics of the period, so it might work.

I'm pretty sure everyone BUT the academics still use 'Dark Ages' Plot ;)

Otherwise, of course you're right on most of the rest. But I have to ask McMilly, what timeframe are you looking to cover?

Strictly speaking of the Carolingian (Charlemgne's) period, the Franks, England, Ireland and Brittany all work. The Holy Roman Empire doesn't work at all since it was really a later offshoot of Charlemagne's realm. Burgundy doesn't really work because the Burgundy most of us think of was another offshoot of the Franks (and the ancient Burgundians had dissappeared 200 years earlier). You could add the Lombards, since during the beginning of Charlemagne's time, they ruled over pretty much the same area as the Burgundians. As for Aragon, I'm not familiar enough to talk about the early years of the reconquista, but I don't think Aragon is the best name for Christian Spain at the time.

A couple of things are missing from Spain, and that's Corduba and the Basques. The Moors go without saying, any mod for this time and region would be at a loss without them. And how could you have mod for Charlemagne without Roland's killers?

Elsewhere, you mentioned the Gemanic tribes. That's a pretty open-ended category. It conjures up visions of the barbarian hordes that toppled Rome. But by the time of Charlemagne, those barbarians WERE Charlemagne. The Saxons were a pagan people the Chalemagne campaigned against for many years, so they would work, and so would the Thurs, who occupied what is now Bavaria and their own Thuringia.

Also, if you have the British Isles, you should definately throw in one or two kingdoms to the North. The Picts, Scots and the Brthons of Strathclyde were all rather important at the time. But since their borders changed alot around that time, you could combine these. You might also consider having more than one 'English' kingdom, such as Mercia and Wessex.

Venice could work if you consider it a semiautonomous outpost of the Byzantines that flopped between allegiance to Constantinople, Frankish domination and near-total independance. Similarly, the "Papal States" could work, but not really as most people think of them. You could call it the Exarchate of Ravenna, another notional Byzantine possession.

And speaking of the Byzantines, why leave them off? Even if you only want a Western European map, they were still big players in Italy.

On the other hand, if you want to cover a longer period - say, 750 AD to 1000 AD or later - you could throw in any number of medieval races. The choice is yours, but I would like to see one just for Charlemage.

A charlemagne scenario for MEM would be really cool:)

i guess it could begin in 711, the battle of jerez, when the moors got into hispania and destroyed the dark age's spanish kingdom of the goths. and maybe it should endi in 843 when the treaty of verdun parted charlemagne's realm.

factions to consider (not including eastern europe and the byzantines):

asturians (so they are the christian spain)
the moors
mercia (biggest kingdom in central england)
northumbria (mercia's rival)
wessex (third english kingdom)
franks (near the rhein, not exactly the today's france)
saxony
thuringy
bavaria
the avars
the danes (or vikings)
the lombards (north-italy)
western slavs (czechs, polish mainly)
venice

well thats just merely a thought

i know thats what i am basing it off the mem scenerios thats were i got the burgundians from, thanks for the help i'm throwing in mem leaderheads and citylists into here, i've started 5 units a mage which im going to change into a priest an assassin, 2 Teutonic knights as units, and a man-at-arms. Though i may ask 1 question for being so unsmart in my favorite periods. Charlemagne didnt conquer england did he? then why expand it so large id have to make myself my own map and if i must recall im not very good at that, and also where are the avars? i know im adding slavs. but if i add the byzantine empire i'd have to add many more eastern civs to my mod drawing away the attention on the carologians. but if you say i could make them own parts of italy. (which was owned by Venice and papal states and the other romans.

Im trying to cover the time of hthe birth of Charlemagne to when the holy roman empire was created.

I don't think England is that necessary but the Avars definitely are as Charlemagne along with the Bulgarians helped to destroy them. The Avars were the precursors to the Magyars so somewhere around modern day hungry would work. The Byzantines wouldn't be a bad idea considering the rivalry between them and the franks in the Italian peninsula.

I'm not entirely sure why Cornwall is in there as a civ, but here's the city list I used for Cornwall in a mod:
Lostwithiel
Bodmin
Tintagel
Saltash
Liskeard
St Austell
Truro
Looe
Polperro
Helston
Launceston
St Ives
Penzance
Newquay
Bude
St Columb
Perranporth
Land's End
Wadebridge
Bocastle
Falmouth
St Agnes
Fowey
Port Issac
Mevagissey
Pengelly
Cambourne
Padstow
Redruth
Hayle
Torpoint
Angarrack
Roskear
Cadgwith
Tregarrick
Rosudgeon
Boscreege
Polzeath
Godrevy
Egloshayle
Par
Hingston Down
Lerryn

Here's what I used for the Carolingians in the same mod:
Aachen
Regensburg
Augsburg
Würzburg
Mainz
Cologne
Constance
Freising
Trier
Besancon
Verdun
Metz
Staufen
Waiblingen
Lübeck
Magdeburg
Habsburg
Freiburg-im-Üchtland
Meissen
Salzburg
Burgau
Limburg
Goslar
Speyer
Naumburg
Worms
Hamburg
Bremen
Pavia
Cremona
Hildesheim
Marburg
Strassburg
Frankfurt-am-Main
Friedburg
Bamburg
Krems
Wien
Prag
Kuttenberg
Brüm
Linz
Enns
Passau
Pilsen
Eger
Schwerin
Ratzeburg
Havelburg
Fürstenwalde
Brandenburg
Rügen
Rostock
Leipzig
Meissen
Frankfurt-am-Oder
Erfurt
Tubingen
Ingolstadt
Breslau
Corvey
Fulda
Bergen-op-Zoom
Bozen
Basel
Zürich
Luzern
Bologna
Milan
Asti
Modena
Verona
Florence
Pisa
Lucca
Como
Bergamo
Treviso
Piacenza
Lodi
Tortona
Brescia

The Saxons were represented by a mixture of Saxony and Saxon-English cities:
Lübeck
Bremen
Dresden
Leipzig
Chemnitz
Hamburg
Timmendorf
Sibiu
Honigberg
Tartlau
Eisleben
Radeburg
Chippenham
Repton
Hohwacht
Wittenberg
Cirencester
Ashdown
Exeter
Hampshire
Nottingham
Winchester
Edington
Wedmore
Somerset
Shaftesbury
Chester
Athelney
Keynsham
Lindsey

Finally, here's my Irish city list:
Baile Átha Cliath
Béal Feirste
Corcaigh
Luimneach
Gailleamh
Cill Chainnigh
Port Láirge
Doire
Ard Mhacha
Baile Átha Luain
Caiseal
Trá Lí
Durlas
Cluain Mhic Nóis
Baile Átha an Rí
Maigh Nuad
Cill Mhantáin
Dún Dealgan
Loch Gorman
An Muileann gCearr
Ceatharlach
Tulach Mhór
Tiobraid Árann
Port Omna
Béal an Átha
Mala
Inis Ceithlinn
Ceanannas
Cionn tSáile
Gleann Dá Loch
Muineachán
Inis
Sligeach
Cluain Meala
Droichead Átha
Latharna
Brú na Boinne
An tSionainn

If anyone feels that they need to dispute any city names in any of these lists, please feel free. I could do with updating these lists for my own projects!!

thanks rob, i only really needed the saxon list but th irish fell not so irish anymore with thoughs old lists that i used from the interenet so ill use yours (hope there only southern ireland :) ) if you have any city lists for the civs posted on the main thread saying (need city list) post'em up please.

Top Bottom