Chess with a monkey?

Oneluv

Warlord
If Civ is now an RPG then I'll grant it's a pretty fun game. Playing the leader of a Civ definitely has it's charms, NOT up all night charms mind you, but it doesn't suck.

But if this is a strategy game than it's really so much more....It's a slap in the face with a velvet glove. It's a Ferrari with a two-stroke. Big potential, big joke.

The lions share of the work, the work that will make this game functional, has been laid at the feet of the civ community. Very ballsy Firaxis, your stock holders collect the loot and leave huge amounts of heavy lifting to the guys who work for free:goodjob: Some calculating cold-blooded business.

I mean this sincerely when i say: Firaxis, yours is a business model to envy far more than the product you develop. Kudos

It helps to know the $50 I just shelled out wasn't for this bloated CPU pig but for the amazing stuff that's going to come out of this place. Sephi, Kael et al. I may be a jerk but I know which side my breads buttered on. Thanks for bailing this junk out. In advance.

And finally I snivel like this because there is no way a strategy game(which costs real money) should be released with an A.I this cringingly bad. It's not even open for debate. So stop the sycophantic twitching and open your eyes. The A.I. doesn't understand tactics or how to function in a 1upt environment, period. At least with the SoD model the A.I. had a chance to overcome the programmers lack of talent, time or funding with brute strength. but not now.

Playing Civ V is like chess alright. Chess with a monkey.

Your title was misleading! I was hoping to see an epic post about being able to vs a monkey at chess!

Not helping

I have began to call this "Paradoxing", for it is the company(The main "competitor" to Sid) that seems to have started this first.

At least it wasn't as obvious as them saying "Mod it in" when anyone asked for something.

I just end up hoping that the next time a company does something like this, they end up like MW2 and end up alienating everyone but the casual player and promptly falling apart, letting a better company pick up the pieces.

what difficulty level are you playing on OP? Apparently there is an incredibly stupid mechanic by which the AI will choose what it judges to be sub-optimal moves from it's 'move list' on a random basis on difficulties below prince. Leading to the AI doing some spine-tinglingly moronic things at times.

The AI is no genius in my games, but it's been at least competent. I'm not sure what you guys exactly expect from the AI. It'll never be as good as a human player, it's just there to provide a challenge(usually through bonuses).

I think all in this forum might just have to much experience with civ to be challanged by vanilla civ5 AI. Up the difficulty and wait for the first patch and dont exploit the weakness of the AI in the early game. CIV4 was the same way. The developers dont want to make the game to hard out of the box as then it will make the casual gamers mad. There is also a nice XML file with the handicap information in the assets folder, so if you dont feel challanged just up the AI handicaps that should make the game more of a challange until the first patch.

Well that's what different difficulty settings are for!

What's with all the replies about the AI? That's not the OP's main point, the bad AI is just the symptom! This is about an evil business model, wich can't be fixed by increasing the difficulty level.

Keep in mind the civ IV AI is pretty crappy at Noble too, it needs massive advantages to stay competitive. Get a win on deity in Civ V before you complain (about the AI).

What's with all the replies about the AI? That's not the OP's main point, the bad AI is just the symptom! This is about an evil business model, wich can't be fixed by increasing the difficulty level.

That made me lol

On a serious note, it really disturbs me that the AI still can't handle invading across water when all they have to do now is walk over it...

O, what a rogue and peasant game is this!
Is it not monstrous that this 2K here,
But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
Could force this vision so to its own conceit
That from their working all its vision wann'd,
Tears in their eyes, distraction in their aspect,
A broken game, and its whole function suiting
Naught but chess? and chess with a monkey!
A monkey!
What's a monkey to us, or we to the monkey,
That we should play this game? What would we do,
Had we the AI and the cue for action
That IV has? We would drown the board with stacks
And cleave the general continent with horrid attacks,
Make mad the City States and cross the seas,
Confound the players, and amaze indeed
The very faculties of gaming wit. Yet they,
A dull and muddy-mettled pack of thieves,
Are greedy, unpregnant of our cause,
And can say nothing; no, not for a game,
Upon whose propensity for a most dear life
A damn'd defeat was made. Are they all cowards?
Who asked for change? one unit per tile?
Plucks away our economy, and blows it in our faces?
Tweaks science and culture? gives me the lie that Multi works
As deep as Civ IV's does? who does we this?
Ha!
'Swounds, they should take it: for it cannot be
But these developers are pigeon-livered and lack gall
To make a game better, or ere this
They should have fatted all the CivFanatics
With this game's offal: buggy, broken game!
Brainless, treacherous, incomprehensible, kindless game!
O, strategy!
Why, what an ass are they! This is most brave,
That they, the son of a dear Sid Meier,
Prompted to action by Soran and 2K,
Must, like a whore, unpack their very heart with hexes,
And fall a-cursing, like a very drab,
A cash cow!
Fie upon't! foh! About, the game!

s'more drama to help your thread dude

O, what a rogue and peasant game is this!
Is it not monstrous that this 2K here,
But in a fiction, in a dream of passion,
Could force this vision so to its own conceit
That from their working all its vision wann'd,
Tears in their eyes, distraction in their aspect,
A broken game, and its whole function suiting
Naught but chess? and chess with a monkey!
A monkey!
What's a monkey to us, or we to the monkey,
That we should play this game? What would we do,
Had we the AI and the cue for action
That IV has? We would drown the board with stacks
And cleave the general continent with horrid attacks,
Make mad the City States and cross the seas,
Confound the players, and amaze indeed
The very faculties of gaming wit. Yet they,
A dull and muddy-mettled pack of thieves,
Are greedy, unpregnant of our cause,
And can say nothing; no, not for a game,
Upon whose propensity for a most dear life
A damn'd defeat was made. Are they all cowards?
Who asked for change? one unit per tile?
Plucks away our economy, and blows it in our faces?
Tweaks science and culture? gives me the lie that Multi works
As deep as Civ IV's does? who does we this?
Ha!
'Swounds, they should take it: for it cannot be
But these developers are pigeon-livered and lack gall
To make a game better, or ere this
They should have fatted all the CivFanatics
With this game's offal: buggy, broken game!
Brainless, treacherous, incomprehensible, kindless game!
O, strategy!
Why, what an ass are they! This is most brave,
That they, the son of a dear Sid Meier,
Prompted to action by Soran and 2K,
Must, like a whore, unpack their very heart with hexes,
And fall a-cursing, like a very drab,
A cash cow!
Fie upon't! foh! About, the game!

s'more drama to help your thread dude

LOL. You missed the new Animal Husbandry quote.

Your title was misleading! I was hoping to see an epic post about being able to vs a monkey at chess!

Sorry.

But calling this a "strategy game" is a little mis-leading as well. Don'tcha tink?

But the point about upping the ante is well made. My first three games have only been on Prince and to be fair the A.I. civs, for the most part, have been kicking my butt up the tech tree. (Particullarly since I"ve been hesitant to co-operate with my "enemies" when it comes to research.)Sometimes Quite far ahead of me in fact. Even with these advantages nothing tactical or manacing ever seems to materialize.

I've had wars declared on me by multiple nations nearly simultaneously; With each Nation more advanced than me.(but with this new mechanic, who really knows how far ahead) I"ve sat and waited just knowing and hoping(and loving) the fact that I was about to be steam-rolled by a superior enemy. Slap me down Firaxis.

But wait. WTF? Where's the crushing? Where's the slapping down of my puny carbon intellect? Where's the adrenaline. The grim smile and vows of vengance? Where are the tactics they promised? The tactics this hex system was supposed to herald?

I don't know this game. I don't play games with hexes. Never have. So why then am I, straight out of the box, beating this computer that has been "trained" in dark art of manipulating its armies in this tactical world of hexes? In the ad department... that's where. Or the Lumber yard for all you Caddyshack fans out there.

There is much in this game to enjoy. It's a cookie monster. But meta-gaming is still just too easy, there are several un-fortunate ommisions and the A.I. simply can't cope without tricks.

If you have to up the ante to get a fair fight than it's really no different than SoD. Instead of stacks you'll get waves. Waves will crush un-doubtedly, but they wont need tactics or strategy or hexes to do it.

It would, however, have been nice to have spies; than at least, I could have seen the waves approaching before they crashed from the fog.

Life is too good to waste time on inferior stuff. And this is inferior stuff. It won't always be, not once the work gets done. I had hoped to while away the winter with a new Civ game and I will. Unfortunately it just not going to be this winter.

Enjoy the new Civ RPG.

was expecting a pic :(

There. Monkey playing chess with the 5-year-old noob Firaxis had in mind.

Also, anyone else suspecting Zimbu is avoiding this thread?:mischief:

Sorry.

But calling this a "strategy game" is a little mis-leading as well. Don'tcha tink?

But the point about upping the ante is well made. My first three games have only been on Prince and to be fair the A.I. civs, for the most part, have been kicking my butt up the tech tree.

so u are playing on the "medium" level, concentrating on military rather than tech, and expecting the AI to crush u .... :rolleyes: ... time u cranked the difficulty dear

Top Bottom