chinese UU

UkraineNotPuny

Chieftain
Does the Chinese crossbow get the attack twice promotion?
I guess i could easily test this, but i come to the collective instead.

If so - i'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the implications...?

They get a unique attack twice promotion. They can also get the regular attack twice promotion but it does not stack.

I've heard some speculation that if Persia got ahold of a Cho-ku-no from a City-State, they could get both promotions and attack three times during a Golden Age, but to my knowledge this has not been tested.

I believe the Cho Ko Nu can get that promotion, but!
It only has 2 movement points and each attack is a movement point.
So in theory it could attack three times, but it doesn't have enough movement points to do all three attacks.

If I recall correctly.

I believe the Cho Ko Nu can get that promotion, but!
It only has 2 movement points and each attack is a movement point.
So in theory it could attack three times, but it doesn't have enough movement points to do all three attacks.

If I recall correctly.

I've tested this. The CKN does not benefit from the added attack promotion because it uses all its movement points on the first two attacks. If Persia were to somehow acquire a CKN (most likely from a city state), and they entered a golden age, the CKN should be able to benefit from the promotion. That's the only scenario I could picture it working without a mod, though.

The Cho Ko Nu does eventually become Mech Inf (via Gatling Guns & Machine Guns); at which point it would have the 3rd MP to attack three times.

But given how far that is the future, you're much better off picking any other promotion. (I'd try to get +1 range)

I suppose the Vikings could also use the third attack (if they got a CKN from a CS) after disembarking.

I suppose the Vikings could also use the third attack (if they got a CKN from a CS) after disembarking.

Yes, as long as they are far enough along in the tree for 4 MP for embarked units. This may require Great Lighthouse and/or Commerce left side to be done in a timely matter.

Has anyone seen the AI fire twice with a CKN? In my experience, the AI CKN will only fire once as if it is bugged or something.

Has anyone seen the AI fire twice with a CKN? In my experience, the AI CKN will only fire once as if it is bugged or something.

The AI likes to move units; and may be moving the CKN (into a tile that uses a full MP) and then firing which if there already was a unit within range, defeats the point of this promotion.

The AI likes to move units; and may be moving the CKN (into a tile that uses a full MP) and then firing which if there already was a unit within range, defeats the point of this promotion.

True, but I have seen the AI fire only once with a CKN that was in a stationary position. China had a CKN garrisoned in their city, and only fired once with it, then ended their turn. I think AI usage of CKN might actually be bugged.

I'm just amazed that the AI finally does move then fire with ranged now. They used to only attack if they remained stationary.

Top Bottom