Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type

This is a really good idea. I'd suggest creating a thread in Ideas and Suggestions to increase visibility and potentially get some ideas for the alternate buildings.

More broadly, I think the restriction to stacking is probably a good idea, but each city should at least be able to stack its own local bonus with one regional bonus.

Shameful advertisement I know, but I recently created a thread there suggesting we have different types of workshops and factories with each providing a special bonus that affect other aspects of the game, on top of what they normally do in terms of boosting production. Have a look here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...hops-factories-and-manufactured-goods.607035/ :)

I'm still not sure I fully understand this. Let's say I build an IZ with workshop in city A and then an IZ with workshop and factory in city B no more than 6 tiles away, is city A receiving production from its own workshop PLUS the factory of city B? If city A didn't have an IZ at all, it would receive only the factory bonus from city B?
That means that IZs are still very usefull and almost required in ALL cities, but the change now is that factories and power plants (buildings with zone effect) are usefully only in some of the citites, if the zones overlap?

the yield of the basic industrial zone isn't that great actually, and the workshop is quite expensive for what it adds. you have to invest quite a lot of hammers so it will take a long time to pay back the investment. without the stacking bonus of factories and power plants, i wouldn't consider the IZ mandatory in every city.

the yield of the basic industrial zone isn't that great actually, and the workshop is quite expensive for what it adds. you have to invest quite a lot of hammers so it will take a long time to pay back the investment. without the stacking bonus of factories and power plants, i wouldn't consider the IZ mandatory in every city.
But is it true that the citites without their own IZs get only the power plant / factory bonus from the external IZ? Without the workshop? And without the bonus from surrounding mines?

Built early, IZs are not that expensive, and if you beeline apprenticeship you get there pretty fast. An IZ without any building can often be +3 production just with adjacency bonus (building it next to mines/quarry, possibly other districts). It also allow you to get more production from trade routes, although that's definitely not something every city needs.

Production being the main constraint in the game, my guess is that we'll still want IZs in most cities. We just won't build factories everywhere like in the industrial revolution, because most will be useless. A factory every 12 tiles will be enough to get you all you can get from buildings.

Late game production will have to come more from lumbermills than factories. just like IRL I guess ;-)

But is it true that the citites without their own IZs get only the power plant / factory bonus from the external IZ? Without the workshop? And without the bonus from surrounding mines?

sure, that's how it used to work and it still works like that. the adjacency and workshop production points were always local and not part of the area bonus. the only thing that was changed is that multiple sources of area bonus don't stack from any more.

Maybe not mandatory but still a huge source of production. Keep in mind that the amount of production you get from a basic IZ can vary depending on other factors. If you have 6 envoys in 2 industrial CSs, for example, it's 8 productions only from CSs. Add to this adjacency bonus, then double it with the Craftsmen policy card and you can potentially get 20 production only from the basic IZ. If you can have this kind of highly productive IZs, it might be interesting to build one IZ in every city but without any buildings, which you would build only in the cities with IZs that can cover your other cities with regional effects.

20 productions from basic IZ is laughable.
Why would they nerf factories if everything else is still so hammer expensive?
the trade routes are still mostly limited by districts too and not scaled up with populations.

With science being slower now, peaceful players would run out of things to build quickly, if factories weren't nerfed. Eben before the patch I ran out of things to build and did projects everywhere, when I went for peaceful science victories.

I thought the overlapping districts was a bit much, but I wish they had implemented a diminishing returns computation instead of flat out rendering other regionals irrelevant

Are Power Plants still worth building? After all, uf they overwrite the Factory +3 and not add their +4, the difference seems too small for the investment.

Are Power Plants still worth building? After all, uf they overwrite the Factory +3 and not add their +4, the difference seems too small for the investment.

I don't think that's how it works. I believe each different building that provides a regional bonus is counted separately. The notes say:

Cities can no longer receive yields from more than one regional building per type; they take the highest (ex. production from multiple Factories)

Note "Per type." You can't receive a bonus from two factories, but you can receive a bonus from a Factory and a Power Plant. Pulling up a save game with overlapping power plants seems to confirm this.

A few weeks ago I saw a great suggestion from someone (I forget who) about an IZ rework. The general idea was to create a seperate "power" district which would power up other districts using the AoE mechanic. This could then double the output of IZ buildings and other mechanics could be introduced for the other districts. This could also mean transferring the sabotage mission to the Power plant district allowing for more less location guesswork when counter-spying.

I think that this is, overall a good solution. While I do think that industrial clustering make sense, the overlapping bonuses presented a series of problems:
- It made industrial district location meaningless
- It made terrain irrelevant
- It gave way to a very gamey "industrial ICS" strategy

As a solution for the only drawback that this change poses (less industrial clustering), I propose the following solutions:

- Give factories +0.5 production for each adjacent city district. This way, clustering industries and high density urban layouts will still make sense, without needing to restort to industrial city spamming, not to mention that it will present an interesting city placement dylemma (districts with less appeal VS more productive industrial zones)

- Introduce more buildings for the industrial district in order to make more relevant choices when designing them. Several types of powerplants that could either have area effects, stacking effects or local ones could make for some thoughtful city design

-Make Toronto's Suzerain bonus the ability to stack industrial and entertainment district bonuses, rather than increase their radious. This way, you could still apply the same industrial ICS strategy of yore, but it will be a very circumstantial, "high risk, high reward" type of affair since it will depend on your diplomatic alliances, rather than be the default meta of the game

- Introduce more buildings for the industrial district in order to make more relevant choices when designing them. Several types of powerplants that could either have area effects, stacking effects or local ones could make for some thoughtful city design

You mean like the Nuclear and Solar plants in Civ 5? Mutually exclusive buildings could present a good addition to the production puzzle. "Hmm do i wait for Uranium to go Nuclear?", "Do i beeline to Solar Power?", "We have Coal! Coal Plants it is!"

You mean like the Nuclear and Solar plants in Civ 5? Mutually exclusive buildings could present a good addition to the production puzzle. "Hmm do i wait for Uranium to go Nuclear?", "Do i beeline to Solar Power?", "We have Coal! Coal Plants it is!"

Either that or make buildings for different uses:
a building that gives overall production (factory)
a building that gives (more) production, but only for units of the industrial era and later (armaments factory)
a building that gives (more) production, but only for buildings (construction firm)

Aye! You guys are getting the idea. For example:

- Regular power plant: +2 production, +1 production per adjacent coal, oil resources. This bonus to production is applied to nearby factories on a 6 hex radious

- Solar power plant: Desert tiles generates +2 production on a 3 hex radious

- Hidroelectric power plant: Riverside tiles worked by this city generates +1 production

And so on

This thread seemed like the appropriate place for this question:

Factories have a six tile range to other cities. Where do I see this? How do I know it's working?

In my current game I have a Factory in city A. City A is receiving the factory bonus.

City B has an IZ with a workshop and is within 6 tiles of City A's factory (And also City A for that fact). City B is not receiving the bonus according to 'View Reports'. I even counted all the hammers manually. No factory bonus is applied. I had to build a factory in city B to get a factory boost in the city.

City C does not have an IZ and is also within 6 tiles of City A's factory (And also City A for that fact). City B is not receiving the bonus according to 'View Reports'. I even counted all the hammers manually. No factory bonus is applied.

What am I doing wrong or not understanding? Or is it simply not working?

The change is great and all, but HOW ABOUT A FRIKKIN MAP MODE so we can actually tell where the district effect reaches?

That would be a smart and mandatory thing to implement but devs have a different opinion on the subject, first they introduce a complicate rule without giving players the instrument to gauge it, then they release no documentation and finally they pretend we do not go against them, someone here need to call 911 to stop them from stealing money

Top Bottom