Resource icon

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be possible to have slaves that use the Atlatlist's retreat promotion, or exert religious pressure while in enemy territory? Alternatively, could one buy slave contracts that exert another player's religious pressure on oneself (if they wished to utilize the Pantheon, or Indonesia's UA)?

Thx for reply.

Also, I noticed that the last policy in Authority tree is different than that one from CBP, but when I choose it, effect is CBPs, not CiD. I mean CBP is Honor (Units gain +10% combat strength. A military unit spawns near all cities that reach a multiple of 8 citizens, or have already exceeded 8 citizens.), but the policy description is:"Martial Law - Gold required for military unit upgrades reduced by 25%. Puppeted cities receive a +25% production modifier, and Occupied cities a +33% Production modifier. Each City with a garrison increases Loyalty Loyalty by +5% per level.)

Edit: And yes, I enabled CBP support in settings file before I started the game.
Edit2: Ok, I noticed in the settings file, that it just disables policy changes, but still I think it shouldn't change policy description.

Okay, another idea (I'm full of them apparently :p )

This would require CID. Let's say you have a new unit, the Slave, obtainable via enslaving other units, contracts, own population, or being able to build them plainly. Maintenance free and loses health whenever they Work, like Leugi's, and can only regain health in a city, or a city with a slave market(to restock the number of slaves). You can use them like usual workers, but their new feature is that they can perpetually work on a improvement, buffing it with +1 or so of each output that that tile provides. These maintenance free slaves would slowly lose health while working, and would require them to return to a city (or another method, like passing caravans) to restock their slaves.

To balance this out, depending on the province level, you can only have a certain number of slaves in a province before they gain a chance to rebel (ex. Allow 3 slaves in first level, having 4 gives all of them a 10% chance to rebel, increases with each successive slave). In addition, if a cities loyalty is beneath a certain threshold (50%) all slaves no matter the number gain a chance to rebel.

Slaves would turn into rebels/barbs. Additional features could be slaves increase unhappiness, and opposing armies could liberate/free the slaves, and lower their warmonger score.

I guess it's not so much about "beating" crime, more about being able to manage it. And right now, being close to the end of the industrial era in this game and having roughly -30 production from it in almost every city, with a mafia active as soon as I found a new one, I'm feeling really helpless about it. I can't build anything that'd shift it or lower it and especially after that mafia first showed up, it's just been impossible for me to do anything about it. It's at that point honestly just not fun anymore, when I have to deal with something that I can't do anything about until about another 100 or more turns later, where some new tech might help with it slightly.

Also, unrelated to this and I think someone else mentioned it a few pages back already, there seems to be at least one bug with loyalty, in the sense that it counts losing a war twice per war. It also seems incredibly picky what it counts as a "losing" war. I've been completely wrecking anyone who dared attack me in this game (so far that's all active civs...) and even when I've been constantly pushing my enemy's face in, my colonies or puppets still think I'm losing. It's especially silly when I've just been declared war on and immediately every colony/puppet has anything from -1 to -5% loyalty from "losing a war". And with every war counting double right now, it gets pretty ugly sometimes for no reason and with no way for me to do anything about it.

Also, I think that more important than how the player can deal with crime, is how the AI deals with crime. If they can't handle it, they'll be severely crippled. Unless, of course, the AI gets bonuses against crime.

I did a little more testing regarding Crime and crime-reducing options.

Without fail, as soon as I construct the White Tower, crime goes through the roof in ALL my cities. I'm talking crime rates of 10-25% for theft, violence and fraud go up to 40-65%, causing instant organized crime in ALL my cities as well, with the other types going from 1-5% to ~10-25%. Considering it removes a type of crime that I've never seen above 1% (to the point that I don't even know what it does), that seems like a rather steep shift to compensate for it. Especially considering it's caused by a crime-reducing WONDER. I just can't believe that's the intended mechanic.

Speaking of, with those types being percentages, I would've thought they'd add up to a meaningful number, like 100% of the city's crime rate, but it clearly doesn't. In fact, it doesn't seem to relate to anything, definitely not the total amount of output for that type of resource in a city.

Should I just turn it off at this point, because the whole system just starts to seem pretty broken to me?

Edit: Actually, might this be a problem with CBP and E&D compatibility? It's just a shot in the dark, but since the tower gets moved around and changed thanks to those two being active, it's something that came to mind.

Thank you, Dallandra, for your thorough explanation of what's going on. I now see that my maths has once again failed me :p The problem is that, using the White Tower as an example, when Treason is reduced by 100% and thus eliminates what amounts to 1%, it increases all other Crimes by 100% instead of by 1% as I had intended.

Crime is indeed meant to be a meaningful reflection of your city's yields, and indeed add up to 100% (give or take a few). Evidently, my maths here has inflated numbers wildly.

So, for now, I do indeed suggest disabling Crimes (in fact, the latest update - where the number didn't change - has it automatically switched off).

Sorry for what I'm sure amounted to a lot of confusion.

@JFD, while you're considering how to tweak Crimes, I had a general thought: could Admirals/Generals be put to use to impose Martial Law? BTW, I like the "fight back" tenacity of the conquered city; however, you end up having to take it to pop zero if its the capital before it stops rebelling. --AG

Thank you, Dallandra, for your thorough explanation of what's going on. I now see that my maths has once again failed me :p The problem is that, using the White Tower as an example, when Treason is reduced by 100% and thus eliminates what amounts to 1%, it increases all other Crimes by 100% instead of by 1% as I had intended.

Crime is indeed meant to be a meaningful reflection of your city's yields, and indeed add up to 100% (give or take a few). Evidently, my maths here has inflated numbers wildly.

So, for now, I do indeed suggest disabling Crimes (in fact, the latest update - where the number didn't change - has it automatically switched off).

Sorry for what I'm sure amounted to a lot of confusion.

Haha, it did indeed, but it's all good. If it helped iron out another bug then it was worth it, definitely. I had a look at the files myself, though with my limited LUA knowledge and inexistant Civ modding experience except for using them, I couldn't even find where Crime does all its magic!

Just good to know that my nitpicking actually helps. :p

Edit: Actually, while I'm at it, I'm having some problems with compatibility. Nothing game-breaking, but still annoying stuff.

I honestly don't know at this point which mod adds specifically the Forum Romanum and Summer Palace, but I know CID is supposed to change their GP yields to great magistrates when Sukritact's Events and Decisions is installed. However, those, together with the Big Ben (which I actually fixed after shifting some mod ordering around earlier, go figure), seem to have their default (?) great diplomat yields, despite E&D definitely being loaded by the time CID loads, since the Big Ben does get changed from merchant to magistrate.

I can see the (un)happiness in the city banner, but not in the city screen:
Spoiler :

And I can give City-States gifts, which do nothing:
Spoiler :

lua.log
database.log

Re-posting the same bugs isn't going to get it fixed faster :p Its on my to do list, but as I said in my IA, updates won't come as quickly as they did over Christmas. The Piety issue is kinda odd - as a quick workaround, delete the two ChooseReligionPopup files in JFD's Piety and Sovereignty(Piety)\[/B]Piety\Lua\UI\Overrides

Edit: Actually, while I'm at it, I'm having some problems with compatibility. Nothing game-breaking, but still annoying stuff.

I honestly don't know at this point which mod adds specifically the Forum Romanum and Summer Palace, but I know CID is supposed to change their GP yields to great magistrates when Sukritact's Events and Decisions is installed. However, those, together with the Big Ben (which I actually fixed after shifting some mod ordering around earlier, go figure), seem to have their default (?) great diplomat yields, despite E&D definitely being loaded by the time CID loads, since the Big Ben does get changed from merchant to magistrate.

Ok, I'll look into it. You're using CSD then?

Fair enough :D

I'll be looking to update this weekend, hopefully with Provinces included. So if you've balance concerns, now's the time to raise them (there will be some changes to Loyalty).

I've run into some logic trouble with Crimes, so the next update won't see that re-activated, and I'm not sure when it will be. So any maths/logic geniuses here should come forth. Natan? :p

Speaking of His Holiness, was there any success in asking about true seperate of Great People generation?

In regards to provinces - are there any plans to add in a governor system - perhaps in a similar fashion to how you have described the privy council working in Sovereignty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom