Citizenship

Should Citizens have to post in the Citizens Registry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
would be nice if there was a poll. the citizen registry is only a list of citizens. noone not in the registry can participate in the demogame
EDIT: ok, now the poll has been posted

Require people to post in a certain thread to be a citizen? Utterly ridiculus!

Citizenship should be defined by one and only one thing - the demonstration of a desire to participate the demogame. Did you post in a discussion? Citizen! Did you vote in a poll? Citizen!

We will have various private polls that we cannot regulate. How do you plan to determine if, in each and every private poll, that only votes cast by citizens are counted? You can't! And we shouldn't. They voted - that should be enough!

CFC is an inclusive site, that encourages people to join and participate. Make the Demogame an extension of that. Don't exclude people. Don't let the rules lawyers abuse someone because they forgot to register (it's happened!).

Make the requirement simple - participate in the Demogame.

-- Ravensfire

Adding onto ravensfire's post:

Don't say: "the citizen registry prevents voting blocs" or "it prevents people from having their friends just come vote for them". What's to say they won't just have people register and then vote? And if you see a new face in a public poll you haven't seen before, do you actually look in the registry to see if he/she is registered? Probably not. The Registry doesn't really help with a census; if we don't have a registry, then we can just take a sampling of the # of votes in previous polls to see the # of active people. It adds nothing to the game, so simply, there is no need for it. I think we want to eliminate all non-useful aspects of the demogame, and this would be one.

ravensfire said:
Require people to post in a certain thread to be a citizen? Utterly ridiculus!

Citizenship should be defined by one and only one thing - the demonstration of a desire to participate the demogame. Did you post in a discussion? Citizen! Did you vote in a poll? Citizen!

We will have various private polls that we cannot regulate. How do you plan to determine if, in each and every private poll, that only votes cast by citizens are counted? You can't! And we shouldn't. They voted - that should be enough!

CFC is an inclusive site, that encourages people to join and participate. Make the Demogame an extension of that. Don't exclude people. Don't let the rules lawyers abuse someone because they forgot to register (it's happened!).

Make the requirement simple - participate in the Demogame.

-- Ravensfire

its not going to take a CFCer very long to register.

well, people wont come in and flood the polls since they feel that there is no restriction to citizenship and we could get info like timezones and stuff

So instead of flooding the polls, what if everyone registers and then floods the polls? The registry doesn't prevent anything - it is just a side step.

Timezone info? Come on. How much timezone info have you learned + remembered about new people? I don't think that would help.

Its not like its hurting you to post in the register thread, i think everyone has anyway. Its just we have all these citizens rights, and citizens assembly, and citizen this and that. citizens are a entity and we need to do somthing to become a citizen.

Its just a simple post, its not being exclusive.

There is a very simple reason to vote NO in this poll.

Once upon a time, there was a 1st term President who wanted to choose a Vice President, so he invited people to apply for the job. Several people applied, one of whom was a veteran player of many games, who had held many different offices, and who had similar goals for that game as the President had. The President appointed this legendary figure to the post of Vice President, but had not realized that his friend had not posted in the citizen registry.

Other players, who placed a higher value on following the letter of the law than on having a fun experience with their supposed friends, challenged the appointment on the grounds that the new VP was not a citizen. Much of the attention of the Demogame was diverted to this issue instead of being focused where it should have been, on building what should be the very entertaining initial role playing of a new game.

The Demogame was damaged by this incident. Two of our more active members got slapped around by a small minority of people who were acting as though not posting in the citizen registry was an issue of critical national importance. That incident contributed to the death of fun in the DG. I won't say it was the only reason the DG was declining, heck maybe it was only a symptom. What I will say is that given the alternatives of politely pointing out that someone wasn't following the letter of the law and asking them to remedy the situation, or having a pitched legal battle which blew everything out of proportion, too many of our citizens chose the legal battle.

How many nits can the nit-pickers pick if the law is written without nits? None.

Vote no. Please? :)

I agree with DaveShack, Ginger_Ale, and ravensfire the citizens registry should be a formality, I would be nice if people did but it shouldn't be required. This is like all those things in the military that forces you to jump through hoops, I was necessary at some point but no longer is, but it won't be changed because it's holy regulation and how we've always done things.

Hey Alpha you started this poll, why didn't you vote? Getting too lazy? :)

An Old Man

Slim_Chance said:
I agree with DaveShack, Ginger_Ale, and ravensfire the citizens registry should be a formality, I would be nice if people did but it shouldn't be required. This is like all those things in the military that forces you to jump through hoops, I was necessary at some point but no longer is, but it won't be changed because it's holy regulation and how we've always done things.

Hey Alpha you started this poll, why didn't you vote? Getting too lazy? :)

An Old Man

It's amazing how much we've been agreeing recently, Slim. What branch were you in? I'm still in. A hundred points to who guesses mine first. Hint look at my name.

-KL

CaliSurfer said:
@KL Your location says Hawaii, would it be the Navy by any chance?

Good ty but no.
-KL

In the constitution there should be a paragraph that registering in the citizen-thread should be done but it's not a "must-have". When a non-registered citizen (I mean what I write: "non-registered citizen" should be absolutely possible!!!) applies for an office and people object it should be in the hands of the jurisdicial (sp.??) branch to allow or deny appliance.
Activity during DG and statement of the player should be the major part for deciding whether the application is ok or not.

I think a real case only appears when a poll is close and the losing side starts to count the "non-citizen-votes" in the poll and objects: Again it should be the jurisdicial branch who decides. This finally terminates exhausting debates. Both sides should be able to call on the court to finally terminate quarrel! That's what this branch is for after all! :)

I voted "yes" since I like to have an overview of the people who register. I agree that its only a very small sidestep and not really a sign of participation in the DG, nevertheless it gives the DG and citizenship a more "binding" nature and supports involvement (never underestimate the psychologic factor when it comes to registries ;) )

Just my 2 cents...

Knightlancer said:
A hundred points to who guesses mine first. Hint look at my name.

It's the Marines isn't it? That was my branch too. Would you be a Lance Corporal, Knightlancer?

Old One

I voted yes. I did so because i feel there should be a place where we can figure out who's a member of our democracy. People in America have to register to vote, so people who want to be a DG citizen must post in the Citizen Registry. It's not like one quick post is a big deal. Plus, i remember plently of times in DG 6 where people who weren't citizens voted in polls and people immediately said the votes were invalid. Posting in the Citizen Registry is merely a formality and won't kill anyone. Besides, if someone wants to join, i don't think forcing them to make 1 post will convince them to leave.

@DS: I remember the incident you are referring to. I also remember not getting involved in that debate as i was still a newbie at that time. But I do remember thinking to myself 'Why can't ---- just post in the citizen registry? Then no one will complain and it will all be legal.'

RegentMan said:
I voted yes because it gives us a list of our citizens.
No, it simply gives us a list of people that posted in that thread... Most people that post in the citizen registry don't even post or anything

I'm voting no, its mostly useless...

Yes, let's bring some order and decorum to this game. Quit making everything so easy for everyone; the lack of challenge is the real key to losing people

Top Bottom