1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

City Growth

Discussion in 'Civ4 Strategy Articles' started by Tigger70, Feb 10, 2006.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Chieftain

Yes, but it's better to turn on Avoid Growth, so you accumulate food until your basket is full, and then just sit there. Then, whenever you get extra happiness, you can grow immediately.

And it's even better to produce food until your basket is full, and then arrange to stay there. But that may require more micromanagement.

2. Qitai

Qitai .

Sounds good. I have not tried the avoid growth button yet. I had assume it would re-assign my tile to avoid growth rather than not letting it grow even when the basket is full.

3. Aratirn

Aratirn Chieftain

It actually does both. Tries to produce the less food possible, maxing production and/or commerce. But in case it just cannot arrange a 0 food rate it will also keep your city from growing even if it has enough food stored for that.

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Chieftain

I don't think this is accurate. If you click Avoid Growth and then arrange your citizens the way you want them, the computer won't rearrange them.

5. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Chieftain

That's because you turned the governer off by rearranging them yourself.

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Chieftain

Fine. The point is that you get the effects of Avoid Growth (i.e., your city will not increase in population even if it does have excess food), while arranging your citizens however you like.