City Naming Office

Epimethius

Wish I Hadn't Been Here
Demogame V Office of City Names

The Office of City Names is a independent government office of little importance. So little, in fact, that it didn't exist until I got bored and asked Noldodan if I could set it up. It isn't specified in the constitution (it was in DG3 in the CoS), so how exactly the leader is chosen is anyone's guess. Right now its lead by me, the Deputy Minister of Domestic Affairs. Its job is to keep track of all the city names chosen by citizens in the registry, so that the president has a convenient way of knowing what to name the next city. A list will be posted shortly, and be updated following each turnchat.

The City Naming Office is Operating

City Names as per Citizen Request
These names were requested by citizens in the registery. They are ordered by the time of registration, and are to be built in that order. Those citizens who did not specify names were ommitted. Note that the name you requested may be "Japanese-ified" before being built, or any of a large number of other possible mistakes. Hense the final column. Once a city is built, it will have an "X" in the "Status" column.

Code:
Status   Citizen             Requested City Name(s)                             City Name
   X     Daveshack                              (CAPITAL)                       Fanatikku
   X     Chieftess           Furuyawa/Furukama (river/mountain)                 Furuyama
   X     Immortal            Immo, Khatovar, Apathetica                         Immo
   X     Rik Meleet          Epolenep                                           Epolenep
   X     Cyc                 Zojoji, Daitokuji                                  Zojiji
   X     Epimethius          Odawara, [i]Any real Japanese city name[/i]               Odawara
   X     CivGeneral          Shorin-Ryu, Okinawa                                Shorin-Ryu
   X     Regent Man          Regent Town, Rising Sun                            Regent Town
   X     Toaae               Corrino                                            Corrino
   X     Noldodan            Minas Alcar/Osgiliath/Palargir (inland/river/sea)  Osgilliath
   X     Ulyaoth             En'Gha/R'yleh (mountains/water)                    En'Gha (recommended for renaming)
   X     Blackheart          Sto'vo'kor, Thu Do, Neo Tokyo                      Sto'vo'kor
   X     Falcon02            Windurst                                           Windurst (recommended for renaming)
   X     Truckingpet         Pete, Foley                                        Pete
   X     SniperDevil         Manchai, Tao Chi Saki                              Manchai
   X     TimBentley          Bentropolis                                        Bentropolis
   X     Plexus              Gurenshi, Parekasu                                 Gurenshi
   X     Donovan Zoi         Nihilon, Sobe                                      Nihilon (formerly Eridu)
   X     Bigmeat             Doomsville, Eviltown                               Doomsville (frm. Antium)
   X     Sarevok             Baldur's Gate, Athkatla                            Baldur's Gate (frm. Pompeii)
   X     Babbler             Centennial, Hero's Home, Port Solema               Ravenna (Old Roman name)
   X     msz4                Ominato, Kuma                                      Hispalis (Old Roman name)
   X     Provolution         Kagemusha, Nihonjinron City                        Viroconium (Old Roman name)
   X     Annatar             Drachenfels, Donnersburg                           TBD (Temporary name)
   X     Ankka               Fish Pond/Duckburg (lake/other)                    TBD2 (Temporary name)
         Lecky               Grumpypuss
         Michelangelo        Hill Valley, The Chapel
         Globo               Izanagi-No-Mikoto
         Coinich             Wakashio
         Stuck_As_A_Mack     Yatta
         Civanator           Civanatoria, DePaolo
         Vander              Vandopolis
         Verowin             Huntington Beach, Rotterdam
         mhcarver            Midgar, Rocket Town
         Zarn                Celestial Fortress, Jedina
         Fier Canadian       Maicamacilos/Minas Ambaron (iron/other)
         Zorven              Se Aroshe, Zintaria
         superpelon          Pelukken, Ikken
         Danel               [i]Any real Japanese city name[/i]
         Stef Powa           Japatupia
         MSTK                Barad-Dur/Osgiliath (if not yet used)
         Bacon King          Bacon Bits, Nowhere
         Black_Hole          The Black Hole Constantinople
         Spartan010          Haloville, Alexiario
         Donsig              Shaitan, Shinsplitter
         juballs2001         Mt. Hokymasu/Tanjinawa (mountains/water)
         KCCrusader          Furukawa (if not yet used)
         Inkstier            Inksteria, Cataclysmia
         aprilshowers        Shower's Castle
         Weasel Op           Weaselopolis
         LeeT911             Arrakis/Novabliss (desert/other)
         jst666              Kallio, Sieni
         Espirito            Aphraea
         Comnenus            Edo Castle, Rurouni Central
         Blackbird SR-71     Centerville, FudgeMcWanga
         puglover            Here Be Dragons, Acropolium
         Plechazunga         Mothra, Okinawa (if not yet used)
         Inter32             Gocholandia, Vice City
         anarchywrksbest     Anarck Popo Looz
Note that the current list is incomplete, as it only extends to the end of page four of the citizen registery.

Note on capital city name: The right to name the first and capital city falls to the initial President, who in this case is DaveShack. He has chosen to chose a name out of those proposed by citizens, rather than invent one himself. Because of this, the first city slot remains empty.

Epimethius said:
These names were requested by citizens in the registery. They are ordered by the time of registration, and are to be built in that order.

Sorry to but in here, Deputy, but I don't agree with this method of city naming. We never see most of those people again, so why should they get to name cities? I much prefer following the CoC, as it insures that the people naming the cities are at least active in the game.

Noldodan said:
Sorry to but in here, Deputy, but I don't agree with this method of city naming. We never see most of those people again, so why should they get to name cities? I much prefer following the CoC, as it insures that the people naming the cities are at least active in the game.
this is the way it was done last game, otherwise only elected ppl get to name a city, not too democratic

btw, epimethius my first city name is "The Black Hole" not "Black_Hole" :p

But BH, half the people on that list haven't even posted since they registered! To name most of them: Regent Man, Ulyaoth, Bigmeat, Lecky, Michelangelo, Globo, Verowin, mhcarver, Stef Powa, Spartan010, juballs2001, inkstier, April Showers, weasel op, jst666, Esperito, Blackbird SR-71, Puglover, Plechazunga, Inter32, and Anarchywrksbest. Why should they get to name cities before people who are actually in the game?

Uh nolodan actually I have been posting I just missed the turnchat because I was at a family event yestersday, In fact I have signed up for several societies, and participated somewhat in some of the debates, and oh yeah and on several of the election night threads. and anyone that may have seen what I put in this place the first time I'm sorry but I am somewhat active. :mad:

Noldodan said:

I disagree, Noldodan. Your proposal is unfair to everyone except the elite, and based on favoritism. All those people that came here registered and voted, only to forever leave were recruited by the elite, who used those people to win the election. Now you want to cut them out so the elite will get preferential treatment. Get real.

But BH, half the people on that list haven't even posted since they registered! To name most of them: Regent Man, Ulyaoth, Bigmeat, Lecky, Michelangelo, Globo, Verowin, mhcarver, Stef Powa, Spartan010, juballs2001, inkstier, April Showers, weasel op, jst666, Esperito, Blackbird SR-71, Puglover, Plechazunga, Inter32, and Anarchywrksbest. Why should they get to name cities before people who are actually in the game?

Not completely true, Noldy. RegentMan posted a lot last game and should return this game. Lecky is the same way. Michaelangelo, Globo, and mhcarver (especially) have all posted.

Noldodan said:

If memory serves, I have seen posts from mhcarver, weasel op, jst666, Esperito, Blackbird SR-71 and Ulyaoth.

Simply because someone doesn't post, does not mean they don't participate. There has been good turnout in elections.

Glad someone noticed me, I've posted, voted and attended turn chats Noldo,

Maybe we should have it that if the person wants the city named when they are next in order they must attend the turnchat in which it occurs, or if they cant attend, post in the thread when they are next in queue as being active.

Well, I have two things to say. I am sorry about the list. I was just going from memory, and didn't check on things. I am sorry if I offended anyone. Second, about the "elite status" argument: Is Provolution (for example) suddenly part of some upper class because he won an election? Anyone else with sufficient drive could have done it as well, I am sure. But I do offer this as a compromise: We use the citizen registry order, but only if they have posted recently, say within two weeks. If they post in the official absence thread and their turn comes up during the absence, they would be considered eligible for city naming.

As long as we use the Citizen's Registry, I'm fine with that, as long as you do all of the extra work involved with your plan and have the results posted in the Turn Chat Instruction thread for each Turn Chat (taking into consideration how many cities will be started that t/c). Each and every Turn Chat.

As to your second part, yes. Provolution is now part of that group, simply because he won an election. He now gets all the perks of running the FA Office. He's gaining experience and name recognition. There are a lot of other registered citizens that aren't getting that. Why should Provolution be able to push these other people to the back of the bus, just because he won an election? Like Bobby_Lee said, "Royalty doesn't belong here". We are all citizens of Japanatica. Of course Provolution could say it's unfair that he didn't get a chance to sign up on the Citizen's Registry soon enough. Well, if he would have had enough drive to get signed up earlier, he's be higher on the list. The CR keeps everyone equal on a continual basis throughout the game.

The citizen's registery is the most democratic way to do this. Period. Furthermore, I have already done it through to page four of the registry, and then reformated that to fit the code box (both of which take a considerable amount of time). It is true that most of those people are not active, and it is also true that a large number of people did not submit city names at all. Among those people are DaveShack, the president, but also a large number of people who will never post again. And we did not elect our officials so they would name our cities. If we did, I would have voted for people who I knew would go with Japanese instead of Tolkienesque names. So I would much rather we have a bunch of meaningless tributes to people who registered but never played than a bunch of tributes to our glorious leaders, who are the only ones eligable for the honor. ;)

And, finally, who cares if they get a city named after them? Its not like you get to govern the city. It doesn't have any effect at all. We could do it with a random number generator for all it matters. Hell, I could name them all myself and it wouldn't change a thing. It would be a bit undemocratic, though.

I appreciate you coming and cluttering up my thread with all this. And I'll ignore the fact that using the rank system would move you from tenth to third. ;)

hi, i probably wont be able to be on much because i have a busy schedule and my parents dont want me on the computer for more than an hour, so i probably wont be able to participate consistintly.

That's OK, Spartan010. Join us when you can. You are always welcome.

Top Bottom