city state/barb progression

docjager

Chieftain
The city states and barbarian units of course upgrade as time goes by... My question is what dtermines this? Is it based purely on date, the avg progression of other civs, or other factors?
This point is relevant in the current game I'm involved in. I'm India and find myself on my own landmass, going for the cultural win. Everyone else is on the two other land masses and fairly well balanced as only one capitol taken. However, lizzy has a significant tech advantage and is now in the future era. - just hit industrial, but as 5 policies away from utopia (inc the piety two free policies still to be unlocked).
My musketmen are struggling against the riflemen of the barbs. Also tried to take one CS to make things interesting - though my well promoted tho obsolete troops would fair well against one rifleman - not the case! And oddly gifts from militaristic CS seem not to scale as I've only received msuketmen and pikemen from my ally. Any thoughts? I should secure the win if I'm just patient but just want to know for the future...

In GlobalDefines.xml there is this:

<Row Name="BARBARIAN_TECH_PERCENT">
<Value>75</Value>
</Row>

So apparently barbarians tech rate is 75% of something. Not sure what that something is though.

Militaristic city states always give you only units that you can build yourself. So if you don't have anything better than Muskets and Pikes, then that's what you're going to get.

Top Bottom