City state puppeting another city state?

Chemical Toilet

Chieftain
I've never seen this happen before.

Japan conquered Beunos Aires. I sent some units to liberate it, but by the time they got there, I see that Melbourne (their next door neighbor) is apparently puppeting it!

Is this a rare occurance or a new feature of BNW? What is the purpose? I have never seen the city state AI do something like this before.

Ally of city state A declared war on city state B or ally of city state B. One of those CSs managed to conquer the other, but since you can't raze city states it was puppeted.

City-states have always been able to take cities, they just don't usually. Usually they raze the city that they take, but since they took another city-state (from a civ), they were forced to puppet it. They also puppet capitals. I suppose they could have liberated it, but I guess the code made it choose to puppet instead.

I saw this in G&K. A CS actually had a Japanese puppet. Allying with them gives you any luxuries in both cities.

I think this only happens on higher difficulties ... on Prince the CS are always so feeble that they never come anywhere near to capturing other cities. THe best they can do is send a single unit wandering around enemy territory to get bombarded to death.

I actually use Allied City States for pupating enemy civilization Cities that border my own and the Allied City State for the very purpose of creating a nice buffer zone between my Civilization and my rivals. In my current game, I have achieved this very goal.

Just also be aware that City States often raze the cities as well. They seem not to however raze other city states.

I actually wish CS's would be more agro during war. I tend to play on King & very rarely have a problem with them. It'd be great if they were able to expand more on lower difficulties.

I actually wish CS's would be more agro during war. I tend to play on King & very rarely have a problem with them. It'd be great if they were able to expand more on lower difficulties.

On harder levels they are plenty agro if they have the units and are close enough. I've had CS allies takes cities for me, which isn't great, as they will just raze a city I wanted to puppet. I've even lost my own cities to a CS; not cities I've built, but ones I've captued and they've taken and razed when they were allied with the enemy. Also annoying.

You really need to be careful when declaring war if there are CS allies around.

Top Bottom