City tile yield

AlphaCentauriBear

Chieftain
Anybody can explain or point to the article or existing thread about how to understand the city tile yield? I tried to search it but the game is older now and there is no much about it.

Specifically, does city tile benefits from resources? Is it a waste to place city on them?
Does it imply road in the city tile? A railroad?
Does it imply irrigation or mine?

tjs282

Stone \ Cold / Fish
Specifically, does city tile benefits from resources? Is it a waste to place city on them?
The only resources you should really try to avoid Settling on, especially in the early game, are bonus-food resources like Wheat and Cattle, or Wines on flat ground. Reason being, that a town-tile will only ever yield 2 food (or 3 if Agricultural and on freshwater/ out of Despotism), so the extra food from the bonus will then become unusable.

Other bonus- or strat-/lux-resources can be safely settled on, and you will (eventually) get the bonus commerce/shields from those -- although sometimes this will not be visible until you're running a non-despotic government, and/or the town has grown to a City/Metropolis.

Increasing settlement size also increases the town-tile's base commerce- and shield-yields, as do the Industrious, Commercial and Seafaring traits -- though I can't remember the exact details offhand.

Chicken Pizza

Warlord
Settling makes the tile "clean" without possibility to irrigate or mine, sets the food to exactly two, gives you a free shield if there isn't one or more already, and roads it.

So on normal grassland you lose a potential extra food but gain a shield. On a hill you lose two potential extra shields but gain a food, and 50% defense.

Settling on bonus grassland wastes the extra shield. This includes when you settle on a forest on top of a grassland, it gets auto-cut and the grass under happens to be bonus.

I think that gold is unaffected, but I'm not entirely sure, so settling on a plain with ivory is perfectly fine.

justanick

Emperor
Settling on bonus grassland wastes the extra shield.

Only below city size.

gives you a free shield if there isn't one

Only below city size. What happens is here is that zero is sort of rounded up to 1 to prevent the possibility of zero production.

City size gives a shield while metropolis size gives 2 shields or even three if you are playing an industrious tribe.

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Anybody can explain or point to the article or existing thread about how to understand the city tile yield? I tried to search it but the game is older now and there is no much about it.

Does it imply road in the city tile? A railroad?
Other answers covered your other questions

Yes, a city implies the tile is has a road. Yes, once you discover the tech Steam Power (and have coal hooked up), the city tiles automatically get a railroad. If you're planning to send some settlers to fill in gaps in newly conquered territory, you need not build any improvements on tiles that will get a city. If you already have workers (or newly captured slaves) in the area, it can be useful to build roads and irrigate around your planned city sites.

Top Bottom