Civ 3 and Windows 10

I have had the same problem, Demo102. Here is my fix:

First, all the files are in the "Conquests" folder; the one with "Civ3Conquests.exe".

Second, the file name is "highscores.cv3" not "highscores.civ3". Again CV3 not CIV3

Third, the files "bic_in.tmp" and "bic_out.tmp" do not appear until the game is opened/loaded. If you close the game successfully (not a crash), they go away. They can be deleted while the game is running.

I had a slightly different error at first; on the "Wait until next time, buster" screen, my game froze after the first message. I got past this by clicking on the "X" in the upper right hand corner. Then I could watch the game replay. However, once that was done, the game froze again on the Warrior/Hammer screen. From a thread at Steam, I learned that if you press "ESC" quick enough that I could go through both trouble spots and get to the Hall of Fame page and then go back t to the game again, where I could save it for HOF submission here at the forum.

I did not delete the highscores file.

This was my second game of C3C on Win10. I did not have this problem with the first game.

My steps:

Open the last save.
Delete "bic_in.tmp" and bic_out.tmp".
Work through all the city builds.
See the "Time Invested" screen
Congratulations page - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Game Replay - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Top 5 Cities page - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Warrior/Hammer (War Hammer ?) - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Hall of Fame page - stayed a bit to gloat. :smug:
Back to the game - saved for HOF submission

I have had the same problem, Demo102. Here is my fix:

First, all the files are in the "Conquests" folder; the one with "Civ3Conquests.exe".

Second, the file name is "highscores.cv3" not "highscores.civ3". Again CV3 not CIV3

Third, the files "bic_in.tmp" and "bic_out.tmp" do not appear until the game is opened/loaded. If you close the game successfully (not a crash), they go away. They can be deleted while the game is running.

I had a slightly different error at first; on the "Wait until next time, buster" screen, my game froze after the first message. I got past this by clicking on the "X" in the upper right hand corner. Then I could watch the game replay. However, once that was done, the game froze again on the Warrior/Hammer screen. From a thread at Steam, I learned that if you press "ESC" quick enough that I could go through both trouble spots and get to the Hall of Fame page and then go back t to the game again, where I could save it for HOF submission here at the forum.

I did not delete the highscores file.

This was my second game of C3C on Win10. I did not have this problem with the first game.

My steps:

Open the last save.
Delete "bic_in.tmp" and bic_out.tmp".
Work through all the city builds.
See the "Time Invested" screen
Congratulations page - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Game Replay - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Top 5 Cities page - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Warrior/Hammer (War Hammer ?) - quickly hit the "ESC" key.
Hall of Fame page - stayed a bit to gloat. :smug:
Back to the game - saved for HOF submission
CommandoBob! Welcome (back) to CFC! :) :dance: [party] :dance: :)

And thanks for posting this. This problem is not limited to Win10 -- I've also suffered these occasional random end-of-game crashes under Win8.1, so I look forward to trying your fix next time it happens.

:banana:
CommandoBob! Welcome (back) to CFC! :) :dance: [party] :dance: :)

And thanks for posting this. This problem is not limited to Win10 -- I've also suffered these occasional random end-of-game crashes under Win8.1, so I look forward to trying your fix next time it happens.

Oh, thank you for such kind words.

It has been a while. Life, work and other stuff (mostly books, online jigsaw puzzles and board games with the wife).

Two things I really expected to see done since October 25, 2014 (my last prior login):

1. Quintillus had finished his story Wrath of the AI. :cry:
  2. CCM 2.0 :drool:

It is good to be back.

I have a steam version installed and I also suffer from the end of game victory crashes. I have found pressing the escape key will skip you through the various screens to the end. Pressing other keys, space, return or even the X on the screen causes the game to crash. I haven't done any of the things CommandoBob recomends, it sounds far to complicated. :crazyeye:

Scratcher

It's not really something that's easily resolvable. For example, I play the game on both a Windows 7 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. The laptop screen goes black and refuses to show any of the opening animations with the theme music and the same with the end-of-space race victory animation, however, they both work fine on the desktop.

CommandoBob: My apologies for not replying sooner. 4 months isn't really that long is it? I am VERY grateful for your solution to the crash issue and did use it in January. Still not sure why I didn't thank you then. I had the same crash last night and searched for this thread again. The esc pressing worked even without deleting the bic.tmp files. Question where are those files? Or better yet in Windows 10 I get to the specific save folder in file manager (of whatever it's called) what do I use to open the save file to delete the .bic files?
Again, a belated bow of gratitude.

Hey when I I got my new computer my civ 3 crashes i really need serious help with fixing it help me please

Top Bottom