civ 3 players will not move on

OK let me get this straight, Your trying to tell us the existance of the Famous saying: The Sun never set on the English Empire" is a lie!!

Yeah, whatever. Getting worked up again... :rolleyes:
The British at times had controll over North America, India, Autralia and parts of the Middle East and Africa. I can't recall the British ever ruling South America or Asia (Russia, China!) or Europe. That's for sure not enough landmass or population for a domination victory.
The rest I let go uncommented. Just doesn't get me anywhere. Enjoy! ;)

Source for this number? Because if it's true, that means Civ 4 has sold almost as many copies as Half Life (8 million, source) and Starcraft (9.5 million, source). I find it hard to believe.

HI chuchill I hear you'/ 'ITs not proof its just a webpage' is sound logic at times . But I went to the same source as my friend in debate here that being Wiki of course :)
Curious? Wheres you evidence to back up your claims? Me, Ive got the citiation beside the readout to show from where the number came and what the number consisted/included ( just vannila civ3 n civ4, not xpaks sales were accounted)

Your boast of CIv4 not being below civ3 by 300 000 ike wiki states, but instead is ahead and not only that, but by twice as much!! is a big ass lie. Yes a lie. Is it ok I brought that up?....opps to late
ABout that 2nd link, I thought I'd slap it in for further refrence. Ya its a higher number. I wonder where he got his numbers. Are you sayin he lies for all games or just Civ3 :D You must think he is a civ3 fan and has an ajenda to lie just like some others here might do the same for their choice of game :mischief:
MAkes me wonder if your friend REALLY is enjoying Civ4 on a mini map as we speak or if hes this happy Gold fan instead (or he's one of the lucky guys on the other 16 threads+ of the same nature regarding 'Fools Gold)

Heres some more undisputable facts to civ3's longevity. Or undisputable evidence of atleast 100000 in sales of civ3 paks ..in one single purchase that is! . :D Turns out Canada has bought 100000 copies of civ3

I guess CIv4 wasn't reliable enough to run on are 3rd world schools computers ;) ....even 3 years into its civ4's life cycle (what I mean is its not like Civ4 was new at the time when the decision for what format would work best was decided)

Breakaway Games
. THey brought this expience to CIv3 Conquests.

ANd now ADD CANADA TO THE LIST!!!!!

Of course these guys were not rehired to make Civ4. Strange how after Fireaxis was bought by TAketwo they stopped working with this esteemed company. It wonder if cost cuttin came into effect. ANyway, its nice that they were paid by the big G8 nation to reunite with civ3 and develop a mod that teaches Canada's history in civ3 modding format (no corruption here ether)

100 000 copies of civ3 were given out to a young generation and this infact was a great boost for the Civ franchise as a whole. The basis for the first ever Gov's approved History lesson was to be run on CIv3's smooth and indepth engine + greater easy link-to system pedia design. To me this says alot about the way civ3 works to intrigue history apprecation and not so much arcade 'awe'ness like the 'zoom zoom' to outer space or fasinating lil bananas that fall so neatly into baskets. :sad:

heres the webstie. the proof is the first line http://www.civ4.com/

civ4.com said:
With over 6 million units sold and unprecedented critical acclaim from fans and press around the world, Sid Meier's Civilization game is recognized as one of the greatest PC game franchises of all-time.

Now, Sid Meier and Firaxis Games take this incredibly fun and addictive game to new heights by adding new ways to play and win, new tools to manage and expand your civilization, all-new easy to use mod capabilities and intense multiplayer modes and options.

Civilization 4 comes to life like never before in a beautifully detailed, living 3D world that elevates the gameplay experience to a whole new level.

It seems like the 6 million figure is the total for the whole Civ franchise before Civ4.

Just because there are more Playstation 2 sold then Xbox360, PS3 ,Wii doesn't mean it's now the better system. This is also true with games as IMO both World of Warcraft and Sims is boring and too simple yet these outsold any Civilization game as well as some very good simulations like Silent Hunter 3 & 4. Vagrant Story was one of my favorite RPG on consoles (PS) yet it sold poorly because of it's complex battle system which I liked.

Games like Half-life, Starcraft, And Civ3 came out in PC games heyday. In recent years it seems PC games on average are on a decline in sells.

Just because there are more Playstation 2 sold then Xbox360, PS3 ,Wii doesn't mean it's now the better system.
Wo come on back here Smidlee that wasn't the point I was tryin to make,(and we know who you came to argue ;) )

Read above what was I disputing? You know this. I sure wasn't arguing what game is better based on sales. I was arguing for the entire series in general recognition agaist someone else's crazy belief that the CIv series is unknown. It so happen civ3 was higher ranked then civ4 with Wikis all time PC games chart but that was a moot point. (as I noted in original post)

Wo come on back here Smidlee that wasn't the point I was tryin to make,(and we know who you came to argue ;) )

Read above what was I disputing? You know this. I sure wasn't arguing what game is better based on sales.
I didn't imply you were. I didn't quote anyone as I was just making a statement.

I don't buy it. Just cuz the consoles are putting up some new vigor in the industy right now dosn't mean anything future wise in relation to continued strenght against PC titles. IMO That was intentinal buildup of quality software to promote their investment launching the next gen hardware.

Oh and but the way PC games on decline? I havn't heard about any slowdowns ;)
Notice from your ad
Mobile PCs remain the most popular hardware being sold, with Gartner projecting that notebooks will account for 40 percent of sales this year, or 104 million of the 260 million PC sold in 2007. In 2006, notebooks account for 80 million of the 231 million PCs sold, for 35 percent of the market. Gartner estimates that laptop sales will surpass desktop sales around 2010.
Laptops are not that good for running PC Games. To get a decent laptop to play games on you got to pay a steep price. I can do pretty much anything on my cheap laptop except play modern day PC games. For what I pay to get a good gaming laptop I can easily buy Xbox360, PS3, PSP, Wii and have money left over for games.

THey work nice for civ3 the 'smooth n fast' strategy alternative. Hmm mybe thats why civ3 sells so sweetly according to wiki :)
Of course this is a factor as well as other old PC games. As far as OT when have the post been on topic?
I doubt there are many who buys a cheap laptop just so they can play a 7 year old game. I play old games on my laptop because I can't play modern ones and feels it's not worth spend thousands for a gaming laptop
But about Laptops. Would you like me to start the link process of all the guys on here who say "CIv4 works great on my laptop" (usually callin down a guy who posted to complain of what you say) should we cast these guys all in doubt? THe compaining posts almost always stress they possess higher then the required 'on the box specs' to run it.
I'm of of those who have cheap laptop that will play civ4. That's about the only game it will play that has been release in the last few years. Galciv2 is another.
I would say those who are buying a laptops are not buying them with gaming in mind. I know I didn't. the fact I can play civ4 on it was a plus.

You want to start another Topic? Ya I can see why but don't bother. We got 40 just like it THier called "Console or PC which is better" and you can hit the OFFTOPIC to find em. Why are you so anxious to deviate?
I'm a PC Gamers myself yet I see the games I care the most sales declining more and more. This is one reason why I am very excited about the success of both Civ4 and Galciv2.

@Gps how could you say 'its not getting you anywhere' your 40 posts on this thread got you half way to 'Warlord' Why stop now :lol:
OH wait and it looks like you took my words and cut them out of context again Heres the full report Its only fair ;)
gps said:
You were advertising Rhye's mod here. So I thought his work and his opinions were of importance to you to you. But then again, he also got blinded by the stunning but unbearable 3ds of Civ IV and totally overlook the game mechanics. What a moron...
Sorry Rhye - should you ever read this, really no offence intended.

NO Dude. I was providing a light moment by mock advertising a simple graphics upgrade to enhance the look of civ 3. I was waiting to see what entertaining new assumptions you would come up with based on the FACT of your Extreme lack of knowledge within the civ3's '1000's of units' modding sector .PROOF OF FACT :
gps said:
thousands of Civ III Clones with preset map and three new units

Hey lets just say you you never failed to disapoint. Even in jest we can't get better a statement to justify true example of a "Morons" kind of statement in a CIv3 vs Civ4 arguement

gps said:
P.S.: Facts? Really don't want to lecture you, but I guess some quotes are necessary again, this time taken from Wikipedia:

"Generally, a fact is something that is the case, something that actually exists, or something that can be verified according to an established standard of evaluation."

"An opinion is a person's ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment or evaluation of something. An opinion is not a fact, because opinions are either not falsifiable, or the opinion has not been proven or verified."

Me liking Civ IV better than Civ III or you prefering Civ III over Civ IV are OPINIONS. Neiter is a FACT.

I based my opinion on fact derived from key facets of information that are all in relation to the games key charteristics in the modding feild
. THe question posed was "Why do we stay with civ3" so What better way to explain my reasons for staying then by demonstrating which game in FACT was the leader in what makes up longivity of this series, the modding sector!

My statement 'CIv3 has more user created resources to supplement Empire sized historical epics IS A FACT
Therefor your attempt to debate the definition of Fact as if I was not presenting it legit was another BS wasteof your time and weak deveation tacic that has been exposed..Good Job!!
Further since you wanted to argue Giglimesh instead of CIv4 in comparison to this fact in raw numbers, I contend that When I said I stand "unrefuted" This was a reasonable assumption aswell

Yes I summized CIv4 can't contend with civ3 in its greater historical depth made possable through wide array of graphical representions.
I based CIv4's lack of user creations on raw numbers like tech restrictions/complaints or complicated design therefor equaling less modding material
I even posted FACT on the ratio being 2.5-1 in favour of civ4 for total tech complaints here at civ fan. THis accomplished in less then half the time!!!
I gave links to popular CIv4' mods plagued with tech complaints, hinting in a carryover pattern of the same ratio from 'gen complaints' to the C+C forums. I said this gives some evidence of tainted total C+C numbers for the civ4 side, a side that are already suffers almost 2000000 less posts then the more stable civ3.

SO where are the the facts eh? GO back and Look at my opinions and you'll see the facts surrond them

I shed light on the fact Civ3 still shows higher interest numbers over its predesssor, the 6 years newer and still company supported Civ4.

I said this is the same as civ4 beating CIv5 3 monthes after its 2nd Xpak is released!! Think about that. IT atleast gives creedence to the idea civ3 has garnished the strong staying power in this category because of a weaker alternative that was presented as the 'next step' in civving .
Consumers revolted and choose to tune in to the upgrade of what worked in smooth playing empire sized strategy instead of move on to 'slow crawl ' 6 city empire' slumber fest'

You see Thats the differnce with are opinions . I backed mine up with evidence in support and You try to debunk based on deviation tactics like this:

gps said:
Go out on the streets and ask people if they are worried or upset by Firaxis changing the history making and art genre defining but slightly outdated Civ III 2d graphics to up-to-date but totally unbearable 3d graphics (thus ruining the greatest historic epic of the new millenia - sacrilege!!!

I try to play along, atleast in the confines of PC users on the street knowing of the civ series not Plumbers or hotdog venders or god knows what you meant.

SO I post FACT in sales figures not including Xpaks for the two civ games being compared in this thread. Is that not " an established standard of evaluation."" as wiki would say?

You know I was disapointed I took the time to talk fact in refutation to such idle deviation but in light of you recent accusations of' lack of fact' It seems well worth the laugh in the long run

Again: Top Alltime PC sales not counting X pak sales ( Civ3 leads CIv4, mute point but worth mentioning here )

Spoiler :

This is an incomplete list of PC games (including Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Linux) that have sold one million copies or more. Please note that the sales figures for expansion packs are not used in calculation of the sales figure for the original game.

The Sims (16 million shipped)[105]
The Sims 2 (13 million)[106]
The Sims 2: Pets [expansion pack] (5.6 million)[107]
The Sims 2: Seasons [expansion pack] (1 million)[107]
StarCraft (9.5 million)[108]
World of Warcraft (9.3 million subscribers)[109]
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade [expansion pack] (3.5 million)[110]
Half-Life (8 million)[111]
Myst (6 million)[112]
RollerCoaster Tycoon (4 million in North America)[113]
Diablo II (4 million)[114]
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction [expansion pack] (1 million)[114]
Half-Life 2 (4 million)[115]
Populous (4 million)[116]
Cossacks: European Wars (4 million)[117]
Guild Wars (includes Factions and Nightfall) (4 million)[118]
Frogger (4 million)[119]
Doom 3 (3.5 million)[120]
EverQuest (3.5 million)[121]
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (3 million)[122]
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne [expansion pack] (1 million)[123]
Command & Conquer: Red Alert (3 million)[124]
Age of Empires (3 million)[125]
Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome [expansion pack] (1 million)[125]
Cossacks 2: Napoleonic Wars (2.5 million)[126]
Anno 1602 (2.5 million)[127]
Diablo (2.5 million)[114]
Battlefield 1942 (2.44 million)[128]
Battlefield 2 (2.09 million)[128]
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (2 million)[129]
Civilization III (2 million)[29]
Ragnarok Online (2 million North American subscribers)[130]
Riven (2 million)[112]
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2 million)[131]
Baldur's Gate (2 million)[131]
Neverwinter Nights (2 million)[132]
Doom II: Hell on Earth (2 million)[133]
Black & White (2 million)[14]
Mafia (2 million)[134]
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (2 million shipped)[135]
Quake (1.7 million)[136]
Civilization IV (1.7 million)[82]
Duke Nukem 3D (about 1.6 million)[137]
Age of Empires III (1.5 million)[138]
Star Wars Galaxies (1.5 million)[139]
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (1.5 million)[140]
Battlefield Vietnam (1.34 million)[128]
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1.3 million in US)[141]
SimCity 3000 Unlimited (1.1 million in US)[141]
Zoo Tycoon (1.1 million in US)[141]
Age of Mythology (1 million)[142]
Quake II (1 million)[143]
Unreal Tournament (1 million)[144]
Unreal (1 million)[144]
American McGee's Alice (1 million)[145]
Command & Conquer: Tiberium Wars (1 million)[146]
Empire Earth (1 million)[147]
Imperivm III: Great Battles of Rome (1 million, distributed only in Italy and Spain)[148]
Patrician III: L'Impero Dei Mari (1 million, distributed only in Italy and Spain)[149]
The Legend of Sword and Fairy 3 (1 million)[150]
Return to Zork (1 million)[151]
Runaway: A Road Adventure (1 million)[152]
Blade Runner (1 million)[153]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (1 million shipped

gps said:
I don't care about you or your gaming habits. Do whatever you want, have whatever opinion you want, that sure wont keep me awake at night...

If that were true would you have bothering to try and carve up a member who meerly relays his apreciation of what he calls our " depth of experience of the game and contributions to this site ?

Example here :

gps said:
someone posted you'd be a great asset regarding Civ V. Do you guys really think, Firaxis will make a 180 degree turn, throw out all the 'b*llsh*t' they invented for Civ IV and give you the Über-Civ III you missed out on Civ IV? Because they finally realize reading all your entertaining posts, T.A. Jones was right and they were wrong??? Yeah? Incredible...

My god! Really?, an outside poster's comment has you that swore just cuz he cut short the effect of your 'sales speel' with a loud slam of the door? Youve sent your arguement to the streets for support or into Sumeria's Giglamesh for some 'god know what, kind of retort, but this is the most bizzare behaviour set forth by you yet
Look, IM not tryin o change the course of Civ evolution by myself. IM voicing my opinion among a sea of others like KIng who want a real strategy exp for the money they forked out.
This member you mock Had all his posts in Civ4 and was like many here, wondering whether to stay with civ4 or head for the door. Heres how he put it 8 monthes ago.

marciv said:
I still can't make my mind up about either version. Call me simple but I still like the graphics in Civ 3 but like some of the additions in Civ 4. I've spent hours on both games and still enjoy them both. Ok, so there are enhancements to civ 4 like religion, try founding four or even five religions and see the reaction of the AI, hope you are man enough to fight 'em off!

So in response to his comments: Im glad he benifited from the info I provided during are debate. Mybe the facts I presented were good because I didn't try to overinflate well spoken arguements out of context? (sound familiar)
Why do you over exadurate everyones message?. Mybe thats why no one supports your way? Well I tried to find support but couldn't sorry buddy. You know under that thin disguise of sarcasim I think You might be taking this a lil to seriously. lol

gps said:
P.S.: Another quick though regarding large empires. I often hear that complaint that Civ IV does not allow large empires. I also hear the complaint Civ IV to be a backstep in reality. Both do not go together. Earths history proves that no Civilization EVER was able to achive a domination victory. It's possible and sometimes rather easy to achive domination in Civ IV on SMALLER maps representing limited areas like the mediterranen. That's fun and gives you lots of points. On huge multinationed globes it's hard, nearly impossible. Anyone see the big picture? No??? I give you a hint: Realism!!!

OK let me get this straight, *Your trying to tell us the existance of the Famous saying: The Sun never set on the English Empire" is a lie!! or should not be part of the Civ Series! based on "Realism!!!*" You go on to say its to hard to beat many large nations!. Awe boo hoo! Thats Why we compete in science races or cultural crowns jacked up higher to refelct faster point accumilation. Your "small map is better" needs better back up then that! lol
Like you say IN our history so far, do all the nations become conquered in the end? Empire size is realism and attrition and logitics are facts is a real world warfare hmm?

Mybe you should have rufuted directly what 'some of us' said

Spoiler :

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A JONES
B]See no mater what you do on a civ4 mod the end result will always be the same in relation to tech problems. ITs like the gameboard is flawed so the flexable instructions must still be set to operate within these confinments [/b]

I just cant see the AI being given a hundred new things to process or a bunch new extras to track and still deliver the same performance as bare bones civ4 on a huge map or mega civ epic would.

Heck Someone call me on this! POst a stinkin youtube for godsakes. We hear so many people say Huge deluxe civ4 can't get out the factory door. Its to fat and weighed down to run! Heck I know the 'Double yer Pleasure' model for Civ4 got the best of my computer. Its about time this myth is dispelled.
Here look its simple took me 2 minutes plus 5 to upload: My proof Civ3 plays mods with over 800 units, custum soundtraks, extra resouces that get distributed at the same time as the rest.(making for more trade etc), added wonders and improvements that equal more equations for the computer to run. blah blah and so on. Here it is
Notice no time deley. Only AI vs AI war reports you choose to play for enemy casulaty assesment or recon on a nation's new unit development or operational performance ..basic strategy resources obtainable only through civ3 graphics model

Sorry drifted there. But you see wIth CIv3 its possable to make a model that say, eases corruption through a number of extra improvents like prisons, interpol, townhalls etc that balance intoe with a relience on higher maintence costs for the specified gov infrasture. One artist even designed Vassels to do the job. BOOM! Just like that Oversea colinization is in effect!!!
In the end the thing will play on the huge map it was designed for. NOw if a CIv4 mod set out to accomplish the same result ,(glorified expansion) Can we say at this stage it will be equally succesful? NO cuz chances are the game won't run so why bother?

gps said:
P.S.S.: I hate it to dizz Civ III, which I really liked to play. But sometimes you have to stand up to your believes.

Stand up for your beliefs? Hey what where they? All you said was we are all a bunch of "geeks" playin a "sad lil video" game .Was that the beliefs you stood up for? Well then You should be proud. You sure showed us . Go on playin 'this stupid game' to your hearts content just stay clear from calling down others 'beliefs'.
Whether their interpretation is closer to what you might call 'immersive' real empire size strategy on a deeper historical scale or a Simple modders delight done 'civ light' with mini-me strategy run autopilot and graphics ala Civ-Seasame. , let them be the judge of whats wrong or right

New Photo evidence Just in! : Sprawling from west to East glorifing expansion of a dynasty! The Sun Never Sets on T.A JONES 'orange' Empire!!

And look Ma! A World away from my capital and 60+ cities yet still low corruption!
CAll it the the "better corruption' mod and its as legit as any with Blake or Dale's name on it

wow alot happened here in so little time. first id like to talk about the sales. as one of your sites said civ 3 sold 3 million copies. the site i put down says 6 million copies(and yes its just civ 4 not the whole franchise because civ 2 has had 4 million units sold and that means theres no room for civ 1. so yes people with bad computers would buy civ 3 but civ 4 has an overall higher sales.

nexit topic. laptops. I have a laptop that cost 1000 dollers and it is a great gaming laptop i can play all games on it on the highest graphic level. (civ 4, medieval 2 total war, railroads,civ city rome, age of empires 3).

and i guess we had a topic that pc games were declining. well your wrong. look at T.A Jones site. it is not declining in sales, if anything its moving up.

No @churchill you numbers are wrong. Civ3 leads in non Xpak based sales. SHow me a comparison saying otherwise and we can talk. Otherwise Ive got the only evidence its wiki so call it down but then call all posters who use wiki down (Guessing about 90% of ref material here)

Why did you leave out the desktop portion of the article? Oh that didn't fit with your angle? Ok fine but here it is anyway
I believe you missed the point. Notice that
Gartner estimates that laptop sales will surpass desktop sales around 2010.
To me this isn't a plus for PC Gaming because on average person don't buy laptops for gaming (including me) yet laptop can do pretty much everything else that a desktop can with less space. No doubt desktops are still selling yet for stuff like surfing the web any PC will do.

like i said my laptop is a gaming laptop.look at these stats and give me your opinion
my laptop has
2G ram (DDR2)
Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo processor T2450 2.0GHz,2mb L2 cashe,533 MHz FSb
256 MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
280GB 5400RPM hard drive
6 cell lithium battery
and of course vista home premium 32-bit

is this a gamers laptop.

in my opinion laptops are becoming more like gaming computers and desktops are becoming more like media/websurfing/picture computer

No doubt there are those who have gaming laptops but most I know of are not. When it's comes to gaming desktops are still cheaper and usually have a faster processor (but consumes more power) and better graphic cards. I would say gaming is one of the main reasons (for me the only one) to choose a desktop over a laptop.

but you can still get a laptop that is as good or even better than a desktop. look at this link and at the laptop
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

yeah so it might cost more than a desktop but the most powerful laptop(look at the link above) can be more powerfull than the most powerful desktop. even if it does cost more its worth it because its portable. you can take it anywhere you can play civ on the couch. so to me its worth it. this is why im a laptop person.

i still think my laptop is a gaming laptop. more opinions would be nice.( see 2 posts above)

WHats all this have to to with the topic again? I think we can now call Smiddy the Thread Assasin lol . WHo knows mybe this cover up is all part of his Smidden Agenda? :confused: (kiddin)
Baw, suit me fine. I was done, had my fun with this one.

STill where going on 10 000 veiws here. Kinda impressive number for the usual CIv4 vs CIv3 message this early,

Mybe cuz now CIv4 is done and on the same level as civ3 (no longer supported with Xpaks)

the most powerful laptop(look at the link above) can be more powerfull than the most powerful desktop.

Buh? Link is dead, but your assertion is just plain false. Compare any high-end desktop to the best laptop you can find, and it's going to be better.

i still think my laptop is a gaming laptop. more opinions would be nice.( see 2 posts above)

2G ram (DDR2)
280GB 5400RPM hard drive
6 cell lithium battery

It's not a gaming laptop with that graphics card and harddrive, and the processor isn't exceptional. But otherwise, it's a good computer :) It doesn't sound like you're using it for extremely demanding games, at any rate.

like i said my laptop is a gaming laptop.look at these stats and give me your opinion
my laptop has
2G ram (DDR2)
280GB 5400RPM hard drive
6 cell lithium battery

is this a gamers laptop.

in my opinion laptops are becoming more like gaming computers and desktops are becoming more like media/websurfing/picture computer

Sorry, but no. A "gamers laptop" would have at least a GeForce x700 processor, or x600 for a "budget gamers laptop" or "small gamers laptop" (as many x700+ cards require a 17-inch laptop). Here is an example of a gamer's laptop. It comes with either a nVIDIA 8700 or 7950 GTX, and can have multiple video cards, desktop processors (including quad-core), overclockable processors, and 7200 RPM hard drives. It also starts at twice the cost of yours and doubles again when you increase the specs.

Your might be considered a "media center" laptop. The 7400 is a medium-low end card in the GeForce 7 Go series (which I'm guessing was the most recent series when you bought it), and the large hard drive is characteristic of media center computers. Especially with your (unfortunately broken) link, I'm guessing you bought it from HP - they tend to target the "media center" audience. But it's nowhere close to the Sager I linked in performance - even at the base configuration for the Sager. Probably does get better battery life, though.

While I can see it playing most of those games at max (or near-max - is antialiasing maxed in M2TW?), try playing Call of Duty 4 (there is a free demo), Trackmania Nations (free), or Crysis (demo, which didn't run even on my 8600M GT) on it. You'll probably be able to run the first two, but definitely not on max. I get about 35 FPS on Trackmania Nations on max everything except antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, and based on what I know of the performance of the 8400 GS (approximately the successor to your card), I doubt you'd get 20 FPS average with the same settings.

For general usage and gaming it's fine. I used a much less powerful computer (for its time) for two years before this year. But it isn't a gamer's laptop - it won't run the most recent and demanding games, as of its release, at near-max settings.

I don't buy that the most powerful laptop is more powerful than the most powerful desktop, though. Yes, you can (nearly) match the processor (though I don't know of any laptops with overclockable quad cores, and overclocking would be more limited). But you can't match the video card. Dual 7950 GTX or 8700M's don't compete with dual 8800 GTX or Ultra cards. The hard drive is also limited to 10,000 RPM in laptops vs. 15,000 RPM in desktops (10K laptop drives are quite rare, and while I suppose you could build a laptop with a 3.5 inch desktop drive, I've yet to see one do so). Finally, I've yet to see a laptop with more than 4 GB RAM, though this is really only a limitation in scientific work, not gaming (at least - not yet!). Laptops certainly can be used for gaming, even ones that are not unreasonably expensive, but in terms of maximum power and performance per dollar, they aren't on par with desktops.

The thread does seem to have wandered off-topic. For me performance isn't the issue of why I stay with CivIII, it's that it's just more enjoyable, and that CivIV added some changes that I really don't like:

*Artillery/planes/ships not being able to destroy buildings in towns
*Artillery not being able to destroy terrain improvements
*Roads being indestructible except by land units
*The combat system resulting in the attacker almost always being at a disadvantage. I like the idea of pikes doing well against Cavalry and not so much against swordsmen, but what it's resulted in in practice is that if the defender has a mixed set of defenders, the attacker simply cannot have an advantage.
*Catapults being absolutely necessary for victory. True, you could hammer someone with catapults in CivIII, but it was usually more effective to go with ground forces (at least until Replaceable Parts). It just doesn't seem fun or realistic to invade with 30 catapults and a handful of pikes (to fend off Horse Archers), when in CivIV you'd invade with either 20 Horsemen or 15 Swordsmen + 5 Catapults (usually even fewer catapults in my experience). Same goes for cannons, of course.
*Lack of an editor. I usually play Epic maps, but sometimes I like to tweak something. For example, play a no-corruption map. Nice and simple in CivIII. Not to mention all the scenarios - I haven't actually played any CivIII ones, but they look pretty good (and I've heard many are), whereas most of the CivIV ones I tried were quite unpolished (Europa Europa 3 being a notable exception).
*Smaller maps. For the vast majority of people, playing "monster maps" on CivIV is an impossibility. And small maps means less epic, and thus less fun, games.
*Terrible graphics. Far too cheesy, cartoonish, and caricaturized in CivIV. CivIII's more simple graphics actually look far better IMO.

There are elements of CivIV I like - such as promotions - but the annoyances never quite disappear - especially the artillery/bomber/ship/catapult ones.

Top Bottom