Civ 4 install cannot work on laptop - Please help!

markrs

Chieftain
Have loaded Civ 4 and then BTS on two newer computers for my sons - working well after doing the patch1.74 and the Directx update on the kit. Frustrated buy got it done.

Have spent 8 hours trying to install Civ 4 on my laptop and then want to install BTS. Goal is 3 person multiplayer recommended by my brother. OK so I'm into this for something like $150 and I'm jammed up on my laptop. Did the ARI Radeon X1400 driver update, tried loading in standard mode, and safe mode. Tried it with two sets of DVD's. Did a restore point and tried it all again. Can find the temp files and delete no problem now - did it a bunch during all of this. Even tried a 701 reinstall on the installsetup deal although I don't have a 701 in my folder.

Basically the thing hangs after installing the 2nd Disc - acts like its doing something but nothing happens - basically secretly not responding OR I get:

Error Code: -5011 : 0x8000ffff
Error Information:
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (498)
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (311)
>Kernel\IScriptWrapper.cpp (81)
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (197)
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (510)
PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$12.0.0.49974
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.

Not really sure what in the world I could possibly try next. I tried to copy the files to the hard drive in the hopes I could get it loaded by acting as on large DVD. Will not do it, always wants to see the DVD. Tried loading the 1.74 patch but it says I don't have civ4 loaded even though it's mostly loaded. Any new upgrade or already patched version or something I could get to let it load up something from the internet or on my system while looking at my DVD in the drive for verification of purchase.

Hoping you have some answers out there. I'm 42 and have been hacking stuff apart for some time, but this really has me at a loss.

Mark

Thank you ori for a reply to my post!

1) Am in the administrator account

2) HD has 13 GB free space so should not be an issue

3) Ran the procmon from sysintervals site and have so much going on there that I have no clue on how to know what files might be missing or whatever. Maybe I need to try the install with the procmon running? Then see what it is trying to read and see what it says?? Could use a tutorial on what to do with the megainformation this program provides. Anyone know how I should run it to find the error. do you know ori?

4) Have already been thru the other fix you mentioned.

I think the procmon has some great potential to help me figure this out. I cannot imagine why my system would prevent me from writing files. Since the hang and/or problem happens with the transition to the 2nd CD, I'm wondering if there isn't some problem with the ability for the DVDRW drive to properly read the disk and communicate that with the install shield to know the disk is ready to read??? Is there some protection or whatever that the civ install needs to "see" the 2nd CD? I tried copying the CD to the hard drive and reading it there and the setup prevents me from choosing any other drive except the E drive which is my DVD drive. Seems a bit crazy that there is a "Browse" option and then you cannot browse to any other location. When I try it, it just changes it back automatically to the E drive.

Any other ideas?

Mark

Will try it tonight. I thought I tried that, but did not see the Disk 1 cab files in the folder. If I remember it still looks for the E drive to "see" the CD. I think it's a copy protection thing, but I'll try it.

Thank you,

Mark

Put everything in a folder and tried to install - Hangs on the unitednations.bik file. This is the same place it hung before, but I avoided the "insert Disk 2" situation, so I'm guessing the shows that it's not the hard drive. I was looking into some discussions about .cab files and am wondering if we could just extract them out and then run them. It seems that there was a problem with some files being read and that is was related to the .cab file compression and extraction process.

I still need some help and was hoping someone might know whats going on. I cannot be the onlyone that has seen this before and found the answer.

Mark

Hi Ori,

correction - it's not the DVD drive reading - I said Hard drive. Duh/ In any case, is there a better way to post this problem so I get more help?

Mark

you *could* try to contact take2 - they have a support form on their site. Though it usually is a waste of time (sometimes they are real helpful).
As for your problem: does it give any error message when hanging? You could probably uncompress the cab files manually with the right software - I am not sure which to use though. I fear your best hope for support for this game is here (the official support usually is worthless - so you are pretty much stuck with people coming here :gripe:)...

Did the clear of temp folder and the redo of the installshield stuff. Tried it again. Here is the output error again:

Error Information:
>Kernel\ObjectWrapper.cpp (311)
$12.0.0.49974
@Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.6000.16674

Seems like the exact same error. Not certain why I only get it sometimes.

Did you get any resolution to this? I am getting the same error on Disk 2 on my Dell desktop running Vista SP1. I have tried all the same things: removing temp files, installing in safe mode, etc. The message is just slightly different:

Error Information:
$12.0.0.49974
@Windows Service Pack 1 (6001) IE 7.0.6001.18000

Actually, I figured out my problem. I had a two different sets of disks, and I had used disk 1 from one set, and disk 2 from a different set. I only noticed it because the Firaxis logo was slightly different between the two. Once I rummaged out the matching set of disks, everything installed fine.

Error Code: -5011 : 0x8000ffff seems to be an installshield issue. Google brought up a couple of reports from other programs; one was resolved by rebooting, another by installing in compatibility mode or safe mode.
Glad you're up and running bgbruce.

Top Bottom