Civ 4 Terrain: Civ 1

flobi

Rewrite Civilization
I have always wanted to mod something but I'm not a big gamer and most the time when I finally start playing a game that you can mod, any idea I can think of about modding it is already done.

Plus, most non-gameplay mods (and I'm tired of programming, I do that at work) require some artistic ability...I have none (I found out while I was doing design work for a web design company). Luckily, Civ 4's new, I had an idea that wasn't already done and it didn't require much graphic abilities.

I present to you the Civ 4 terrain: Civ 1. Possibly my first, last (and hence best) mod ever! (Map not included.)

Installation Instructions
1. Download Here
2. Extract to: .../My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4
3. Optional: Get Civ 4 Map: Civ 1 Earth

Removal Instructions
... Actually, the easiest way to remove this is to install Blue Marble then uninstall that cause these two mods use the same file locations.

Note: I did not reproduce mountains because they wouldn't look right with being stretched out like that. Also, did not do hills, jungle, swamp and forest because they work different in Civ4. Actually, I don't remember seeing swamp in Civ4.

If any of you out there with better graphic skills feel like improving on my work, feel free.

And a hint for those thinking about doing terrain mods, just cause the images are all pointed one way doesn't mean they will be when they get to the screen. I.e. make them all look as if there was only ambient light or you might have shadows going in different directions. I tried making the shore use the same lighting style as in Civ 1 and found out that it was rotating some images so it didn't look right. That's why all the shoreline is light green and not light green on one side with dark green on the other like in Civ 1.

Oldskool!!1!1! I especially love the Civ 1 desert tile :cool:

*Wipes tear* Such good memories...

Great Terrain. Good Work.

Haha, that's the best looking ugly map I've seen! Hilarious! Takes me back... I havent played civ 1 in years...

[singing]Meeeeeeeeemmooorriiieeeessss[/singing]

there were swamps in civ 1--the dark green tiles with weird purply-bluish blobs on them.

That is so cool.
but your download link seems to be broken, it takes me to the overhead screenshot.

Sorry about that broken link. I fixed it. I'm also building a map based on the Civ 1 earth map. Hopefully that will be done tonight, but I'm envisioning that I might have some issues determining the best place for resources. So far, I've got the terrain for north america, saudiarabiaand the arctic platform plotted, and all the continents minus antarctica outlined.

I am glad to see this mod being taken so well. :)

Shivam said:
there were swamps in civ 1--the dark green tiles with weird purply-bluish blobs on them.
I was saying that there isn't swamps in civ 4 or at least I couldn't find them (I did look after I made that post). I remember the swamps being a light bluish over a plains looking color. What you describe is what I remember the jungle being. In the map in my last post (the screenshot from this site of civ 1), you can see swamp on either side of the nile and jungle in south america.

This is totally awesome! Possibly the most creative mod ever! Now if someone would mod the Civ1 units...

This makes me realize just how long I've been addicted to this game series...

flobi!

Great work!

I've just posted on Apolyton a request for a usability mod along these lines:
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144234

What you have done is very cool, yet I think Civ1 textures are kind of ugly ;)

Would you try to do something about units and resources? They are more important from a usability perspective. I could then use civ4 terrain and civ1-like resources and units.

Top Bottom