Civ 5 announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, Civ V isn't what that says at all!

"...Starting in 2008, 2K will have new content based on its Civilization franchise and other products, including both original intellectual property and third-party titles,..." TakeTwo as reported by Gamespot.

"...Buried in yesterday's Take-Two earnings report was news that yes, a new Civilization game is planned. The report did not specify whether or not said game would be the inevitable Civilization V or a spin-off like CivCity: Rome. The prospects of a console or portable Civilization title have also been rumored..." Gamespot

You're looking at a report to analysts and not a report to a game publication--all it says is that they plan to make some more money with the Civ franchise. Well, Duh. Much more likely that they're talking about a port to a game console (likely to be a 3rd party), an expansion on Civ4, a spin-off like CivCity or all of those. Firaxis might (or might not be) involved in the expansion but I doubt they'll do the others.

I'd bet big money that they're not done tapping the revenue stream that Civ4 can generate--its not time for Civ5 yet. There almost certainly will be one but not for a while.

OMG how can anyone want it to go back to 2D, when i look at Civ 3 now that i have Civ 4, it just looks like a pile of smouldering crap. the land isn't higher than the sea so it basically looks like they both merge, the units look really tacky and bad and 3D is just genrally more aesthetically pleasing

OMG how can anyone want it to go back to 2D, when i look at Civ 3 now that i have Civ 4, it just looks like a pile of smouldering crap. the land isn't higher than the sea so it basically looks like they both merge, the units look really tacky and bad and 3D is just genrally more aesthetically pleasing

He speaks the truth :worship: :worship: :worship:

Hopefully it won't be Civ5, since a full game developed in such a short period of time is guaranteed to turn out crap.

Well, they can always announce it, but not release it for another couple of years. Personally I'd prefer the switch back to 2d as well. 3d is nice, but it does nothing for me. Feels like an unnecessary gimmick.

:king:

Totally agree.The graphic improvement over civ3 is one of the best aspect of this game.I also don't understand why a 2d would be better considering that it is not a wargame where 2d give a better strategic view

3d is nice, but it does nothing for me. Feels like an unnecessary gimmick.

:king:

I can't agree 2 be honest because the it being 3d makes it easier to see things and also makes everything look more realistic and although this game is a strategy game and nothing like other wargames were u want shiny graphics, its still nice to have the units look slightly more realistic than a piece of card stuck down to a board like it does in Civ 3. Civ 3 reminds me of the way south park is made, basically with bits of paper:lol: :crazyeye:

I would like an option to play either in 2d or 3d. 3d was amazing in the beginning, but after some time of playing I wanted 2d so that game can go faster, instead of slowing down in late industrial ages. The problem is civ4 had hefty requirements , civ5 requirements could be more and i don't play civ for pretty pictures, I would be happy if it had very good game and simple layout.

I would like an option to play either in 2d or 3d. 3d was amazing in the beginning, but after some time of playing I wanted 2d so that game can go faster, instead of slowing down in late industrial ages. The problem is civ4 had hefty requirements , civ5 requirements could be more and i don't play civ for pretty pictures, I would be happy if it had very good game and simple layout.

I must Agree. 2d OR 3d is the best option, because players may play the game in less advanced pc's or, with better ones, a full 3d play. And Civ may be played without problemas in both cases.

I can live with more improvements on 2d terrain. Civ3 Modders have done a good job on that already . If Firaxis improves on their work then we got oursleves a great graphics model no question.

Adding 3d into the throne room, a Palace tour or mybe to bring a snazzier return to Civ3's 'City View', but along the lines of a Simcity layout, would be a sensible approach. I think this is a way that would go well with both audiences. Floss the candy but don't interupt the stategy feel on the gameboard

I like the above idea of optional gameboard choices mixed in aswell.

Maybe so development team would put more emphasis on content and smoothness rather than in graphics? I'd like to have GOOD (meaning fast and pretty, not a palette with different shades or brown and gray) 3d graphics if it wouldn't cut out resources from somewhere else, but as we all know, graphics doesn't count on gameplay at all or haven't provided anything positive (other than "eye candy") to strategy/management games.
I'm still waiting for the day modern graphics and playability walks hand-in-hand on a turn based strategy game.

My opinion on 2d is that it is MUCH more clearer. And it's easier job to make beautiful.

Biggest problem is that 3d graphics, celebrity voice-overs and whatnot bring unwanted trash people with their dangerous ideas about the evolution of the game series, which the company has to listen from now on to get cash because old fans are leaving and new ones stepping in. Have you noticed that most of pro-3d have joined on the forums after the release of Civ 4?

I've been a Civ fan since CivNet/Civ2, and I think each new Civ is great. I don't see why everyone wants to go back to 2D - I think 3D is the way forward for modern game development. As for Civ V, I hope it doesn't come soon (like within 2 years) because CivIV is still loads of fun, and such a classic game sequel should be developed slowly and carefully to make it a better sequel.

I bought cIV when on release but I'd not played it yet as my computer needs an upgrade that I can't afford. Don't tell me Civ V will be out before I've even played cIV :sad:

dont worry, i bet its not civ 5 like ancient player said.
it could be anything, i personaly think its another civ 4 exp

A lot of hot air here. 2008 is far away anyhow and I think that another expansion is much more likely than Civ5. It would also be recommendable as Civ4 isn't really that old (as someone on page 1 wrote: new Civ games were published every 4-5 years).

I personally like the 3D much and I really hope they stick to it. 2D is a far cry from what I got used to in any game and I'm content with what Firaxis managed to create for Civ4. Not bad for the Pirates! engine :).

Good 2D grapics are aesthetically better than mediocre 3D graphics. When you consider playability, 2D graphics are better than 3D graphics of the same level of quality because you can play larger maps or play on slower computers.

My view is that while 3D is certainly prettier than 2D it adds absolutely nothing to the gameplay in a strategy game like those in the Civ series (and may the latter continue into the distant future). In a strategy game the player is, in essence, shifting counters around a board, for which purpose cardboard cutouts are just as good as groups of fully-animated 3D figures which are far, far more demanding of computer power. And while at the outset it is amusing to zoom in to a city, to find just what buildings it has you need the list on the city screen.
One of the quotes in Civ4 says "A designer knows he has reached perfection not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away", and I wish games programmers would heed this dictum.

You want 2D so you don't need to buy a fancy computer to play the game. I have been dying to try cIV but I am having a difficult time justifying a high end computer purchase, only for the purpose of playing cIV. Especially since my 4 year old computer without a video card does everything else I need just fine, including CIV III.

Otherwise, 3D is clearly the way of the future. It's just that some of us snarky CIV III'ers either can't play IV or think Firaxis put too much into the graphics engine and not enough into the game play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom