1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Average

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stalingrad, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Yeah, I haven't played the game yet, but from what I hear about it, it looks exactly average. I am wary of both "this dumbed down game suxxors @#!%" and "this is the best thing ever, unlike that Civ 1-4 crap!!!"

2. mattkaru

mattkaru Chieftain

Eh. I'm glad that it's getting a lot of negative initial reviews. It means people like me can go into it with a more realistic expectation. I'm hoping it will be better than average but not the best thing that ever happened to PC gaming.

And if I see the phrase "dumbed down" used again in seriousness I think I might scream. It's like a freakin mantra now. And almost as annoying as US Big Brother's contestants throwing the phrases "target on my back" and "on the block" out every five seconds.

3. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

I have not played Civ 5 yet (... I am in Mozambique !!!...) and I am afraid Stalingrad is somehow right: I share the same fear as him...
    I hope I am wrong...
    I hope I am wrong...
    I hope ... I hope ... I hope ............

4. Kanva

Kanva Chieftain

Thanks for the review. I think I've read enough on the forums now (and watched enough videos) to put off buying it right away. I'm hoping mods/expansions will add more depth to the game,if that's what it's lacking. On the bright side,the engine looks like a solid base to build on. :)

5. zomg

zomg Chieftain

How much you like the game is going to be a reflection of you.

If you cant live with "x" feature from Civ 4 not being in there, you are going to come back here in tears.

If you enjoyed civ 4 but didnt depend on the intricacies to make it enjoyable you'll be fine with civ 5.

There is no better way to put it than "dumbed down" unfortunately, many features have been reduced this way. You can do essentially the same thing but its done in a more generic, less specific way (ie research agreements instead of tech trading, units can move through water on their own but vulnerable) But then again many things have been made more complicated too like combat, building maintenance, social direction, etc. So its give and take.

Gaining or losing is just opinion because its something different.