Civ 5 crash when "jumping" between locations on large map

lead341

Chieftain
I am playing Civ 5 with a good computer (I7-2600k, 8 GB Ram, Geforce 570 GTX), but despite of that the following happens sometimes: when playing on a large or huge map and all the map is revealed and I jump (or scroll very rapidly) to one location the game crashes and I can see several of the hex fields kind of "greyed out". Is this a software or hardware issue?

First: Thank you for this very quick reply!

Second: sure I will try this patch - let´s see whether it helps.
So this problem was known and I can definitely exclude a hardware problem (Ram/memory etc.)?

It is a hardware issue related to corrupted files. The lower the hardware falls on the pre-requisite list the more pronounced it is. My system is below specs, but I can play the game. It wasn't until I varified the local files through steam that the problem was resolved. If you have been playing in offline mode, then you may have avoided the problem, because for me it was introduced in a patch. Patching to the latest and then making sure all the files are varified has eliminated all problems for me. Hopefully you will not have to do it 122 times in a row like I had, but you have to do it until it says all files varified successfully. It would be nice if they fixed that in a patch where it would take more time and made sure all files are varified instead of doing only one at a time, but it seems to be more steam related than anything.

A hardware issue related to corrupted files? Shouldn´t it be then a software issue?

And regarding the system spec: I do not think that it mattered whether your system is below or above spec. My system for example is above spec and I had the issue too.

It's been around since day 1, and is still just as reproducible as before: Huge map, zoom out, scroll around the map a couple of times -> freeze.

A hardware issue related to corrupted files? Shouldn´t it be then a software issue?

And regarding the system spec: I do not think that it mattered whether your system is below or above spec. My system for example is above spec and I had the issue too.

Once all the files are varified ok, then things work. I am just saying that some hardware configurations seem to be more succeptible. Yes it could be the way the game is coded, but more towards the way steam sends it's updates? If the patched files were in use at the time of update, can they be corrupted? I am sure that "one size fits all game" is not configured for every single hardware configuration out there.

Sumendar: with which computer are you playing Civ5?

Core 2 Duo E6850
4GB
Geforce 8800GTS (640MB)
64Bit Vista

Well above minimum specs, other than the video card above recommended specs, but that should mean slow, not crash.

Edit: Did some additional testing, with DirectX10 version I get the freezing (even with SM4.1 and SM5.0 forced off as 8800 does not support them), with DirectX it seems that the textures are lost in the paging process, resulting in a red-white checkerboard that doesn't go away.

Edit2: And timtofly, I'm afraid you're on the wrong track here. Verifying the files does absolutely nothing here.

I have this same problem as sumender with almost the same system specs, just a 8800 gtx card is the only difference, that and windows 7. It plays fine on DX9 so i just stick to that and stopped worrying about it.

Top Bottom