Civ 5 Design Challenge II - Mechanics

Nice designs here..... Went with Scapegrace in the end. A design with so many changes from vanilla components usually ends up being unbalanced. Usually. ;)

Anyone... here? It's been a week...

That's been the case with each challenge for quite some time now…

That's been the case with most of the Civ5 C&C forum actually, not just the Design subforum. (I'm still here though :D)
I guess most of us have moved on to Civ VI. Salute our fallen brothers :cry:

No no I've here too, I've just have had a lot of irl things to deal with.

So uh, Scapegrace's the winner then? With two votes?
I guess so, he at least got 50% of the votes, which at least sounds somewhat reasonable?
(and he still posts here, so we can know for sure that he will actually post a new challenge :p)

She, if you don't mind awfully.

Also, thank you to everyone who voted for me! I appreciate it very much.

Anyway, the mechanic will be BARGAINING FOR WAR AND PEACE. This consists of making the AI fight each other, and occasionally even making them stop, via diplomatic means, and gaining benefits from doing so. Have an example here:-

Kingdom of Arles (Conrad I)
Start Bias: Grassland
UA: Arelat Imperial
Gain points towards a Golden Age every time you make a Major Civilization declare war on another Major Civilization. Units gain a +1% Combat Bonus for each foreign Unit in your empire, whether Military or Civilian.
UU: Hospitalier (replaces Knight)
Stronger and faster than the Knight it replaces. Starts with Shock I as well as a unique promotion, "Conrad the Peaceful", that grants a +5% Combat Bonus while attacking for each City-State Allied to Arles and a +10% Combat Bonus while defending for each City-State Allied to the enemy unit's owner. Cheaper to buy with Faith, but more expensive to build and cannot be bought with Gold.
UB: Barbegal Leat (replaces Aqueduct)
40% of the Food is carried over after a new Citizen is born. Additionally, Cities with a Barbegal Leat generate +2 Golden Age points per turn while the Empire is under the terms of a Peace Treaty and +3 Food during We Love The King Day.

Because the challenge is so broad, I hope to see a variety of entries using the theme. Please don't think that just because the example involves Golden Ages, that's what it has to be by law. Good luck!

Troller did it, I'm clean!

Oh this is certainly an interesting mechanic. How does it work exactly? Actually do you know about Endless Legends, and the ability that the Drakken get? If you do then does the mechanic work like that, but with war as well?

Here's my go :D

The European Coal and Steel Community
(Robert Schuman)
UA: Unification: When making a Declaration of Friendship with a Civilization, they are marked as a 'Member State'. Member States have Open Borders with each other, have a Defensive Pact with each other, cannot :c5war: Declare war on each other, and :trade: trade routes between Member States provide +2 :c5gold: Gold for both owner and receiver.
Gain +2 :c5culture: Culture, +1 :tourism: Tourism, and an additional Vote in the World Congress for each Member State. Gain double :tourism: Tourism bonus for Open Borders.
Civilizations lose Membership status whenever they :c5war: declare war, or :c5war: demand tribute from a City State. (declaring war because of the 'Member State Defensive Pact' doesn't count)
UU (sort of?): Anti Cartel Agent (replaces the Spy): Is 100% more effective at catching enemy spies trying to steal a technology, but is 50% worse at stealing Technologies from other Civilizations. Whenever it kills an enemy spy, gain some :c5goldenage: Golden Age Points.
UB: High Authority (replaces the Police Station): Costs no Maintenance. 10% :c5greatperson: Great People Generation in this City. Provides a free Steel Resource, which can be used as a 'Wildcard' Strategic Resource for any other Strategic Resource than Uranium. (E.g. You have no access to Oil, and can instead use a steel resource to build the Bomber!)
The ECSC was the earliest form of the modern EU established shortly after WWII. It's main purpose was to keep peace in Europe (especially between France and Germany), thought it also provided some trading benefits.

A design that focuses on befriending everyone and keeping (world) peace to win a diplomatic or cultural victory.

------

I'm not sure if this was in the 'scope' of the mechanic, as you don't really gain benefits from foreign war (but gain benefits from foreign peace instead)

Also, I just noticed this :p:
Spoiler :

Last edited:
FDR (United States of America)

UA:
Arsenal of Democracy --- [ Or maybe "Beacon of Liberty" , but this was John Quincy Adams ): ]
Trade routes with civilizations fighting a common enemy grants:c5production: Production and :c5science: Science. Peace treaties involving other civilizations grant a large sum of :c5gold:Gold, :c5science:Science and :c5culture:Culture for each civilization. Bonuses are tripled when civilizations fighting a common enemy share the same ideology.

UU: GI
Replaces infantry. Increased :c5war: for each adjacent unit that belongs to a different civilization. Increased :c5strength: when fighting in foreign lands.

UU: Kaiser Shipyards
Replaces Seaport. Unlike the Seaport, Kaiser Shipyard cost 4 :c5gold:Gold maintenance and provides +4 :c5production: Production. When at war, +20% :c5production:Production for naval units in this city for each civilization at war with the USA. Does not generate :c5production: when at war, but cost no maintenance.

Special AI characteristics (if possible)
Huge negative impact when you plunder his trade routes.

FDR plays like FDR. Trade with friends, bring them to war, bring them out of war, profit. Extra points for being democratic buddies (cough UK cough)

Edit:Removed some stuff because its really overloaded

Last edited:
FYI, FallenAesir: Arsenal Of Democracy is a Tier-3 tenet in Freedom. Might be worth picking a different name.

FYI, FallenAesir: Arsenal Of Democracy is a Tier-3 tenet in Freedom. Might be worth picking a different name.

But but... FDR is known for it and it makes sense here. :(

:c5war: The Kingdom of Prussia :c5influence:
:c5capital: Berlin
Frederick William III

UA: An Mein Volk
When a successful deal with another civilization contains a declaration of war against a third party, gain a free :greatwork: work of writing and a burst of :c5culture: culture equal to the value of a political treatise. The palace contains three non-themeable slots for writing.

UU: Jäger
Replaces Scout. Gains a promotion for +5 :c5strength: strength whenever advancing an era. Additionally, after seeing combat at least once, gains a promotion allowing its line of sight to act as a flanking bonus for other units.

UU: Landwehr
Replaces Rifleman. When fighting in home territory, receives a +10% :c5strength: strength bonus for each :greatwork: Great Work created by the UA. When it receives a flanking bonus against a unit, any fortification or terrain bonuses that unit possesses are nullified during combat.

Prussian design from the War of the Sixth Coalition. Very very specific historical context.

Engalnd (Henry VIII)

UA: King of all but God
The number of cities occupied by civilizations with an embassy in your :c5capital: capital contributes towards your :c5gold: GPT and :c5faith: faith outputs, doubled for civilizations with an active peace treaty. Making a civilization declare :c5war: war or sign peace (via trade or demand) starts a :c5food: WLtKD in your :c5capital: capital.

UU: Great ship
Replaces Galleas. Stronger (18 :c5strength:, :c5rangedstrength:) but more expansive, the great ship is best suited to cooperate with others, being 34% cheaper during WLtKDs and gaining :c5goldenage; golden age points when fighting against civs already involved in a war.

UB: Jousting grounds
Replaces circus. In addition to what the circus provides, it yields :c5goldenage: golden age points during unit construction, one per each war/ peace treaty that we know of, doubled for those involving us. Grants +15XP to cavalry, doubled during :c5goldenage: golden ages. However, costs 1 maintenance.

Not exactly the most accurate design ever, but I hope that will do for now.

I guess I'll cast the first vote, which will be going to Natan's England!
:D

Last edited:
UA: Unification: Your friends share a defensive pact, open borders and may not attack each other, in addition to receiving +2 :c5gold: gold for any shared :trade: trade routes as long as they don't demand tribute or declare an unprovoked :c5war: war. Gain +2 :c5culture: culture, +1 :tourism: tourism and double :tourism: tourism from open borders for each friend you have.

UU (sort of?): Anti Cartel Agent (replaces the Spy):half as good at stealing :c5science: technologies, but twice as good at catching enemy spies, for which it grants :c5goldenage: golden age points.

UB: High Authority (replaces the Police Station): Costs no Maintenance. 10% :c5greatperson: Great People Generation in this City. Grants a copy of steel, which may substitute any strategic resource other than uranium.

@Troller hope you won't mind my edited version...

I vote for inthesomeday BTW.... though I can see how his design can become overpowered. You'll just need some luck...

UA: Unification: Your friends share a defensive pact, open borders and may not attack each other, in addition to receiving +2 :c5gold: gold for any shared :trade: trade routes as long as they don't demand tribute or declare an unprovoked :c5war: war. Gain +2 :c5culture: culture, +1 :tourism: tourism and double :tourism: tourism from open borders for each friend you have.

UU (sort of?): Anti Cartel Agent (replaces the Spy):half as good at stealing :c5science: technologies, but twice as good at catching enemy spies, for which it grants :c5goldenage: golden age points.

UB: High Authority (replaces the Police Station): Costs no Maintenance. 10% :c5greatperson: Great People Generation in this City. Grants a copy of steel, which may substitute any strategic resource other than uranium.

@Troller hope you won't mind my edited version...
[..]
No of course I don't mind! I'm glad that you are willing to make some time to help me out with my descriptions! Which is something that I'll probably keep struggling with for quite a while

:D

Top Bottom