Civ 5 Mod, Need Help Please

Rowanna Sands

Chieftain
Okay so basically I'm really fussy on where I settle my cities, so I wanted my civilisation I'm making to instantly be able to see the whole map so my settlers don't have to wait before I've explored everywhere and found these spots. I came up with two ideas for solutions: the satellite technology or an uber scout.

I tried basically just making a scout with insane boosted base vision but things like trees seemed to get in the way and while each step was revealing huge chunks of the map, it wasn't as quick as I'd like it to be. It was also 'meeting' everyone, though I could deal with that if anyone had any ideas as how I should be making a scout all-seeing? I did wonder if there were any things such as planes that might have a nice promotion I could steal, but I couldn't find any specific ones.

I also attempted going into the satellite technology and just giving that to my civ. This produced an easily fixable problem that I was registered as a later era and instantly got spies and ideological tenets. I fixed this by setting satellite as an ancient era technology. This messed up how the technology tree looks which is completely fine with me (though if anyone knows how to fix it I wouldn't mind at all). Another very minor one: although I 'discovered' a load of ancient ruins, they didn't appear on my map - though I can get over this by trying to remember where I've been. While these issues were very minor, there were two bigger ones. Because I already have an expensive technology that's going to give me an unfair boost later in the game when I can skip researching it. Secondly, other civilizations entering a new era through the satellite technology will not get their era bonuses.

I tried looking in the technologies xml to see what the code looked like in case I could simply move discovering the entire land onto my civ or an earlier technology but I couldn't see anything to change really. I did wonder if 'FLAVOR_RANGED' was related to this, but I wouldn't know what to do with it to find out.

If anyone has any ideas at all, whether related to mine or not, on how I could automatically explore the whole land in the first round, I would really appreciate any help. Also if you have any ideas for fixes for problems with any of the ways I've currently tried. Thank you so much!

Giving a ground unit a very high sight range will be blocked by trees, mountains and/or hills, depending on what the scout is standing on.

Giving a very high sight range to an aircraft will fail as the DLL has a hard-coded limit (of about 8 IIRC) for removing said range as the aircraft / carrier moves.

You could just use FireTuner to reveal the map as you start the game!

Or, create a new tech in the ancient era that has no links to/from other techs, so will be un-researchable. Use the <Civilization_FreeTechs> table to give this tech to your civ. Give this tech the <MapVisible>true</MapVisible> attribute (which is what TECH_SATELLITES uses to reveal the map.

Huh, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but I actually just made some mods making scouting much cheaper. Here's the main one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2510833898

And this is one is just the cheap scouts part: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2465194811&searchtext=

Like I said, I'm not sure if either of these is what you're looking for. They should allow you to scout far faster than normal Civ 5 and the AI should be able to use the scouts as well, (to some extent). If you're set on revealing the map the first turn then this might not be enough, but I think it provides pretty realistic scouting, so by the time you're actually ready to settle your second city you'll probably have most of the area near your civ explored. Let me know if it helps :)

Or, create a new tech in the ancient era that has no links to/from other techs, so will be un-researchable. Use the <Civilization_FreeTechs> table to give this tech to your civ. Give this tech the <MapVisible>true</MapVisible> attribute (which is what TECH_SATELLITES uses to reveal the map.

This is perfect, thank you! I couldn't find any xml pages for the techs that had anything like 'MapVisible' on it so I had no idea what to put.

Huh, I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but I actually just made some mods making scouting much cheaper. Here's the main one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2510833898

And this is one is just the cheap scouts part: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2465194811&searchtext=

Like I said, I'm not sure if either of these is what you're looking for. They should allow you to scout far faster than normal Civ 5 and the AI should be able to use the scouts as well, (to some extent). If you're set on revealing the map the first turn then this might not be enough, but I think it provides pretty realistic scouting, so by the time you're actually ready to settle your second city you'll probably have most of the area near your civ explored. Let me know if it helps :)

Nah. It's not tactical at all it's just something I like doing but I like my cities to be very specific. For example I put 'Solaris' in the desert with a gold, silver or gems source and like to build the pyramids there. Another city I like to be in the jungle near a mountain and I prefer to build Stonehenge there. If I'm going to do it my way and still have a chance of getting the stuff I want I need to be able to see the whole map straight away so I can get a settler to the right place (which could be the other side of the map) ASAP in order to get the town I want without having to research deep water and take time and money sending units everywhere.

Also to anyone else who comes across this:

I since found where all the in-game XML is so you have stuff to reference:
Program Files x86/Steam/steamapps/common/Civ V/Assets/

Top Bottom