1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Playthru -How to Conquer the World by being Poor, Upset and Massively Outgunned

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by lemmy101, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MashPotato

MashPotato Chieftain

Yeah, quality over quantity--only the TRUE Civ fans here ;)

2. oopsy poopsy

oopsy poopsy Warlord

This thread is good enough that I searched for your username and found you. although, I agree whatever mod moved this should reconsider 'cause I'm sure there will be many who followed yesterday that will have a hard time finding it again.

p.s. I PM'ed a mod 'cause your hard work should not be left to toil in comparative obscurity. And keep it comin'!

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Problem is I don't know who moved it. Gah I was really happy about the fact that in a sea of negativity it was something that reassured people and got people excited, so it's not just about the people reading it... in many ways my work is done with those, it's all the new people who go to Gen Discussion and read 40 threads that it's dumbed down and boring and decide not to buy the game because of it.

They've never going to read this here now....

not to mention it was littered with my personal thoughts on Civ 5 which I felt belonged there..

Perhaps my mistake was calling it 'playthru'

4. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

If you write it... they will come :egypt:

*points to signature

5. oopsy poopsy

oopsy poopsy Warlord

My guess is someone thought they were doing you a favour 'cause it wouldn't drop off the page (it was probably dropping off the first page at some point while you were sleeping) and didn't think through the fact no one will be checking civ5 stories and tales. Anyway, I think it's partially right that people will follow it regardless (it's not that hard to find) and maybe a couple more can pm a mod and ask to put it back in general (and preferably even stickied).

Anyway, get back to playing Lemmy.

6. Lord Arska

Lord Arska Chieftain

I suggest we put a link to this thread into our signatures and then start spamming the Civ V general discussion forum. :p

E: I put the link into my sig now. Too bad nobody will notice it because of my low post count..

7. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

My forces start to gather on the borders of Monaco, one of those wrongly coloured blobs in the centre of my wonderful empire is soon to be bluefied. This is a technical term.

I notice they too have infantry. Ironically I'll probably take more casualties here than my war with Bismark.

I slowly start annexing the German cities, and start off courthouses building, and instructing my workers to start mass converting my landscape to trading posts. Seems Bismark's been building a lot of lumbermills. I NEED MONEYS.

8. RockTheCazbah87

RockTheCazbah87 Pacal's pal

Yes! Kill Monaco!

Love the thread Lemmy. Fantastic stuff.

9. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Monaco is mine! They were tougher than anything Bismark put against me. Oh Bismark, you big backward softie.

Also when I declared war on Monaco, Gruff ol' Mr. Bismark got a bit shirty with me.

Sorry I clicked ok and forgot to screengrab.

Occurs to me really that Monaco should have been the ones doing the protecting, all things considered.

10. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Whoops!

Apparently Belgrade are so happy I took Monaco out they're now my allies. What's good is I'll get units off them that I can't currently afford. What is bad is I'm going to feel a bit guilty when I remove their green blob off my minimap just out of a compulsion for 'neatness'.

11. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Woooooo Bismark, I think you left your handbag back at your palace.

The Aztecs are conquered.

Power is consolodated into less hands. It seems Armageddon is going to involve me and my girlfriend. Oh and that Chinese chick as well.

I really need money. My economy is trashed again. -44 a turn and all I've got left in my military are super promoted units. I loath to disband any of them but I'm guessing soon enough the game will be doing it for me.

AND SO IT BEGINS!

OH FIDDLESTICKS. I'm researching Atomic Theory, and China have 11 more techs than me. I'm boned.

Oh look....

I'm definitely not winning this.

Verdict: Great Scientists and Babylon not broken.

12. MashPotato

MashPotato Chieftain

I like how imperious Bismark remains ;)
    Go go go!

13. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Further exploration of the European mainland only serves to concern me more...

Wow you get some big empires in Civ 5.

14. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Since you're going out in a blaze of glory anyway, you should totally go liberate some of the captured capitals and return them to the game. :D

15. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

Wow look at China reenacting the Mongolian conquest. I'm thinking science and conquest victories are out on this game. Culture too. Hmmm..

Time to make the world's city states into epic puppets and force them to vote for you in the UN?

16. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

17. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

I would love to, but with an economy that's currently set to implode I think buying City State influence is out of the picture.

I think I'd resigned myself to losing pretty early on. Still, it's a fun ride!

18. ashmizen

ashmizen Chieftain

Yeah this place is def hard to find. I clicked through over 3 pages worth of useless whining in the general discussions trying to find this page again.

In the end I was lucky I posted here, I just searched my recent posts and found the link to here.

On the other hand, it did help me discover other good content worthy of read - the French playthrough has a lot of character, if less epic than this thread!

19. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

BTW for those looking for favorite threads. If you click the "My Account" link at the top of the page it's right there if you subscribe and there are updates. I basically just go through once a day and see if any threads interest me. If so I post my two bits in them and subscribe. When the discussion peters out I just unsub easily enough.

20. craig123

craig123 Prince

I found it OK (I went looking in the other forums when I got fed up with reading the same things over and over again in General Discussions).

I had a great thread of mine (see my sig ;)) moved from General Discussions, where it was getting loads of replies, to the obscurity of the Ideas and Suggestions forum. I - with the help of a few other people - try to keep the thread alive by mentioning it in other threads whenever it's relevant (like I'm doing now). Just put a link in your sig and try to spread the word. Good luck!