1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Playthru -How to Conquer the World by being Poor, Upset and Massively Outgunned

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by lemmy101, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dodgerphreak

dodgerphreak Chieftain

Bro this was my favorite thread yesterday and convinced me to spend 50 of the 90 bucks I have to go and buy Civ 5.(I'm a poor college kid, whaddya gonna do?) I was planning on waiting until Christmas time to buy Civ 5, but that changed after I read this thread... If my grades drop, I'm comin' after you... ;)

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

When I couldn't find it in the past three pages, I figured it had been moved so I checked here. It's nice because it won't get lost here. I wouldn't worry too much. Just focus on winning the game :)

3. licker

licker Chieftain

Yep, S&T is really where this belongs. Not as though S&T is hard to find either, though they could have left a link to it in GD...

4. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

So if I'd posted an actual review from say PC Gamer into a thread post, that happened to describe what happened in the reviewers game in a narrative along with their opinons and insights into the game from playing, with screenshots of their game with pithy remarks in their captions, would the same apply to that? that it belongs in a niche 'fan fiction'esque themed forum?

Where's the distinction?

5. TheBB

TheBB Prince

I think you should discuss this with the moderators, and leave this thread for your game. I, for one, found it perfectly fine on my own (indeed, looking specifically in this forum for specifically this kind of thread), and heck, I want to see more!

6. Balkor

Balkor Chieftain

Maybe we need another sub forum for Battle Reports

7. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

Eep!

Yeep!

China are eating up all opposition. Cutting into Africa and slowly dismantling Napoleon's empire. I'm scared!

Seems like soon there will be two super-blocs in the world. Me, and China.

The fact that I could be described as a super-bloc is hilarious. Man, I'm so screwed.

8. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

A great merchant!

I shall send him forth to trade with the Chinese. I need some cash, quick. And I need to appear 'useful'

9. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

10. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

If China is going for a Domination victory. I have the ONLY REMAINING TWO CAPITALS SHE'LL WANT.

OMG OMG OMG OMG.

11. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Great show, lemmy! :goodjob:

For those who would like to see this thread back in Discussions where it belongs, please sign this petition that I've drafted in Site Feedback.

12. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

13. RockTheCazbah87

RockTheCazbah87 Pacal's pal

Ouch... Lemmy, quick question. What level are you playing at again? I struggled at Noble at times on Civ4... would you recommend starting back at Warlord on Five?

14. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

15. oopsy poopsy

oopsy poopsy Warlord

From the manual, domination is being the last to hold your original capital, so taking China's wins the game for you now. You don't have to conquer all of it, just his home.

16. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

From what I read.. you have to send great merchants to city states to conduct trading missions. I think Wu will just be all 'off with his head' if you send your merchant to her continents...

17. Balkor

Balkor Chieftain

Getting an army strong enough to do such a thing againt a much more technologically advanced army which owns most of the globe may not be as easy as just walking up to it and shooting some little bullets xD

18. ashmizen

ashmizen Chieftain

Interestingly, by removing curruption (Civ 3) and distance-to-city maintainace (Civ 4), there's nothing to prevent large civilizations to snowball in tech.

One thing that I liked about previous civ games (and Alpha Centuri, University race?!) is that a small civ with a single or couple of cities can often out-tech large empires. This is due to the fact that additional, distant cities grow more and more expensive and only marginally improve your research (or even cost more maintainance than they make!), while more cities increase the research cost.

In Civ 5, you get 100% of the research from cities, no matter how distant it is from your capital. Double the side of your empire? Double research! The only downside to overexpanding is that your culture bar would be absurdly high and you'll never get that many social policies, but that hasn't even hindered me in my (single) playthrough of Civ5. Social Policies are just nice little bonuses, it doesn't matter if you don't have them if you are teching at triple the rate of everyone else.

So I think you are falling victim here to China's glorious snowball. They have a large population, they tech faster, they have better units, they take cities, they have a larger population, they tech even faster....

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess every civ game had a snowball, its just that in the past it was more like, you have a high commerce income, you tech faster, you can now build better buildings/wonders, you have a even higher commerce income, you tech even faster....

19. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

This is Prince, which is the Civ 5 Noble equiv (Normal)

I would recommend Prince, to be honest. What I'm finding here is I'm having more fun when I'm behind. In Civ 4 I liked to be in front, but if you're in front and have the best economy and the best everything then I suspect this is probably where all the accusations of simplicity have come from.

I've had to make difficult choices and fight every step of the way to keep myself going, and it's through this process that I've come to appreciate what makes Civ 5 what it is.

You're also more likely to get into wars on higher difficulty, and hell you want to experience the combat in this game.

If you get beaten out the game, then try again on a lower difficulty. What you don't want to do is end up breezing through it because you started too easy, IMO.

Just my thoughts, but it's up to you really. Prince is a challenge for your first game, perhaps Warlord is too, but I'm finding this just the right level of getting stomped on to see the game at its best. ;D I don't have a hope in hell of winning, mind.

20. ashmizen

ashmizen Chieftain

Great job getting to second place! We're all cheering you on, you're only 1 place away from first place!

Are you going to try to take her capitol, or buy off all the city-states for a diplomatic victory?