Civ 5 Vs. Civ 4 BTS+ RoM:AnD - a final conclusion

Firaxis in all their wisdom have chosen to make use of an un-common way of doing so.
Yes. It is slightly inconvenient. Very, very slightly inconvenient. If anyone's game experience is ruined by having to double click when they expected to be able to single click, it's hard for me to be sympathetic, but maybe someone really is like that.

aaargh... I expected this to come.

All this "You have to compare Civ 5 with Civ 4 vanilla not with expansions" is complete NONSENSE.

Why? Because Civ BTS is the last status of developmenet!
It's not like they forgot everything they build from civ4 vanilla to BTS !
They already HAVE this things worked out, they don't have to re-invent them!

And also they knew about RoM,which even went further, and brought Civ4 to where Civ5 should be!
They knew it's code, and they knew what the community wants, which mods the community plays.
Wait for 3-4 years. Then we'll compare cIV BTS with ciV XYZ & see which one is better. :p

Yes. It is slightly inconvenient. Very, very slightly inconvenient. If anyone's game experience is ruined by having to double click when they expected to be able to single click, it's hard for me to be sympathetic, but maybe someone really is like that.

You still don't get it, do you?
It is not about being "very very slightly inconvenient", it is about being inconvenient without any good reason.
Obviously they wanted the user to be able to select individual units. But they chose a way which is uncommon. Why on earth did they do so? And why on earth was this implemented just in one functionality and not in the other one (F3)?

And finally, it is not as if this were the only complaint. Read this forum, as I don't have to repeat all the things all over again.

The *whole* design is a flaw. It is just as simple as this.

ROM was a great mod but like some others say the turn time was just too slow, Civ4 only uses one of my quad cores so ROM would max it out.

In saying that I'm not sure Civ 5 is actually faster than the mod.

You still don't get it, do you?
It is not about being "very very slightly inconvenient", it is about being inconvenient without any good reason.

Yeah, they shouldn't have done it. It's just so minor as to be very nitpicky, especially with so many other, more major concerns.

And finally, it is not as if this were the only complaint.
This is the very reason I'm rolling my eyes at that particular complaint. It seems like you're just looking for more things to complain about. It would be a little different if the game were otherwise spotless.

No ammount of modding and patching will help this game. Well done guys, you screwed up the un-screwupable.

I am appalled by this comment. You under-estimate not only Fixaris/2kgames but the modding community now. Tread carefully.

You missed the part about the Hemi, did you? Hemi is an engine, rook.

And the new Jeep Wrangler is perfectly fine. It can be as good if not better than mine. It's just pointless to compare the two at this stage.

This exact same thread, in all its various incarnations, litter this forum. Civ4 vs. Civ5 topics never lead to anything productive, only Civ4 vs. Civ5 flame wars. It's old.

So your suggestion is that you should be able to come into threads and state your point of view, but no one else who disagrees with you should?

To be honest, the only thing that Civ 5 is better in, is the graphics+hexes!
Nothing else!

lol, funny :lol:

the combat in 5 is far better

its so stupid to play in the dumb civ4 way of stacking thousands of units like a idiot

lschnarch:

Actually, I'm not entirely sure that putting in an "edit" clickable is such a bad idea. If you could just click into the name field, many players would simply not think about doing that despite how obvious it might seem to someone who's been playing Civ 4 for years and years. Putting in an "edit" clickable makes it more obvious to newcomers.

And yes, that means that it makes the game more accessible at the cost of a minor convenience issue for people who were going to buy the game anyway. Pardon my saying so, but I don't think accessibility features of Civ 5 can really be properly appreciated or criticized by people who've played hundreds of hours of Civ 4 and particularly not by people who think that putting in 300 units in the game is a great idea.

And this is exactly the kind of crap I am talking about.

dont know what you are talking about i just noticed this nonsense thread and joined to bring some logic

civ 4 combat was the absolute crap

there are many other aspects too

buildings?

you need ALL buildings in ALL cities in civ4

thats pathetic

the way civ5 improved town management is GREAT

you only need few specilized buildings, you dont have to spam like brainless cities and units
you THINK in civ5

maybe thats whats bothering ppl

This isn't really true. At least, I've had better results specializing my cities in Civ 4 than in building every building in every city.

... joined to bring some logic

civ 4 combat was the absolute crap

there are many other aspects too

buildings?

thats pathetic

the way civ5 improved town management is GREAT

No further questions. Your witness.

I'll squeeze a post in between the arguments.

Civ 5 - I played around 60 hours, enjoyed it and returned to Civ 4 - BTS, discovered RoM (and it is excellent) and probably won't return to Civ 5 any time soon.

However, to make a fair comparison, I didn't get into Civ 3 until Conquests (I may even still have a HOF entry, must check), and didn't get into Civ 4 until BTS.

The time to play Civ 5 will return later....it can wait

How the AI in ROM? I was playing in some version and there AI wasn`t good. But then arrived AI Better 1.0 which I not tested

I spent a lot of time rewriting the AI from scratch for AND. Most players have to drop 2 difficulty levels. And the AI cheats less than in BTS.

Comparing Civ5 with any sizable mod from Civ4 isn't really fair. A New Dawn was better than Civ4 is every possible area. It doesn't even make sense to compare a "kitchen sink modmod of a kitchen sink mod" to any game in the series.

I prefer "Kitchen sink expansion of a kitchen sink mod". :p

I'm not sure. To start, it's a massive download which is already a barrier to some people, though admittedly this is not a big deal to most.

Couldn't be helped. It includes 400mb of unit/building art, 250mb of audio, and 200mb of new leaders. If I was really forced to, I could cut everything down to probably 10mb, but you'd lose a lot of what makes RoM unique.

Anyway, I am downloading AND (not the best abbreviation IMO) and will try it out again. I think I've tried it before and was rather overwhelmed by what was laid before me. I realise some people love throwing themselves into great complexity, but even if that complexity is really fun, there still needs to be a way to ease people into it. This is why professional quality games have tutorials. Not everyone wants to learn everything the slow way by figuring it out trial and error, or reading it in documentation.

When I switched to making it a full mod vs an installation overtop of RoM, I renamed it RAND.

I have a feeling that Afforess and I have a silent little battle going, because the two mods of ours (AND, PIG) pretty much have designs at opposite ends of the spectrum, and we both allude to this in our descriptions of our mods. Of course, his is a much more comprehensive, detailed and well-done mod that has had much more development skill poured into it, and a much larger fanbase probably for those reasons. Mine is a simpler (could I say 'streamlined'? :p) mod that focuses more on unaltered rules or content mods (e.g. Better AI and BUG - those two mods are pretty much what PIG is, thanks to Fuyu) and otherwise only tweaks the gameplay to try and make it more balanced based on the experience and detailed opinions of all the players who are very familiar by now with the standard BtS 3.19 game.

My mod is for people who played BTS, and wanted more content. Yours is for people who played BTS and wanted small tweaking and balancing.

Grr.. Looks like the mod has stalled 20MB from finishing. Looks like I might have to download the 850MB again, unless cfc allows resuming downloads. :(
BTW: PIG is less than 10MB :p

Sourceforge dl's allow resuming. Get a good download client that supports it if you need to.

I'm here and while I dislike Civ5 I'm very glad they didn't choose the RoM-philosophy. In RoM just seeing that huge and dense tech tree is enough to kill my interest in the mod.

Main features of RoM(from official RoM feature list):

"288 Techs in tech tree
* 300+ Units total
* 199 Buildings
* 107 New Random events
* 84 Wonders
* 53 National wonders
* 54 Civic options
* 52 Improvements for terrain/resources
* 33 Unit categories, modern units are superior to ancient units
* 34 New resources"

That's the 10 things highest on their list. It's easy to see the focus of this mod. More of everything. It doesn't appeal to me at all. More techs isn't a selling point by itself and RoM offers just that, more.

That's RoM's feature list, not RAND's. I suggest you look at that instead.

ROM was a great mod but like some others say the turn time was just too slow, Civ4 only uses one of my quad cores so ROM would max it out.

In saying that I'm not sure Civ 5 is actually faster than the mod.

I'm pretty sure RAND is actually faster than Civ5 in almost all cases. Pretty sad, since Civ4 uses 1 core, and Civ5 "can scale to 16 cores"

Couldn't be helped. It includes 400mb of unit/building art, 250mb of audio, and 200mb of new leaders. If I was really forced to, I could cut everything down to probably 10mb, but you'd lose a lot of what makes RoM unique.
I completely understand. Just happens that some people living in 1st world countries are stuck with 3rd world internet connections or worse. Earlier this year when I was one of them, it would take several hours before I'd have success in getting CFC to accept an upload of 10MB. People on mobile internet might have to pay quite a bit for that much download. These are the sort of people who buy games on disc rather than use steam etc. Probably not many people of course.

When I switched to making it a full mod vs an installation overtop of RoM, I renamed it RAND.
Good idea. Unfortunately there seem to be a fair few people calling it AND. (including the OP:eek:)

My mod is for people who played BTS, and wanted more content. Yours is for people who played BTS and wanted small tweaking and balancing.
That's pretty fair. Really, PIG is just Better BUG AI (Fuyu's) + balance changes + some aesthetic changes. I suspect a lot of people who look for mods are interested in new content, so PIG fills a relatively small and different niche. RoM (and RAND I guess) extend the gameplay and are certainly not hampered by the thought of adding new content. Describing them much more than that I really can't say without going and playing a full game.

Anyway, I finally got it installed, so I'll see how it goes. Do you have any suggestions of recommended settings before I start? How should I get into the mod with the lowest chances of getting confused?

Sourceforge dl's allow resuming. Get a good download client that supports it if you need to.
Didn't know that. I take it you imply CFC does not allow resuming? I have a download client, but don't use it in this browser.

Okay... I would say there are one threads regarding RoM (which is a bad mod IMO, just throwing worthless content at you and pretty much no depth at all to an already shallow game) each week. Combined with 5 new threads every day on how much they dislike Civ 5, what gave you the idea that we need another one of these threads?

Sorry for calling you out in particular about this, but its really getting to my head. There is barely even a discussion in these forums.

And only thing even good about RoM is the revolutions, but that exists in the same exact form in many other overhaul mods. Also, Civ 5 with some gameplay mods like Balance and Economy and some AI mods + tweaked max HP is a better game in depth and gameplay than Civ 4 BTS. Sorry to break it to you, but some people actually think that, and not just "console players" that ranters like to say like Civ 5 over 4.

Oh, and some RoM lovers who rant on CIv 5 forums complain about bad AI, but I have played quite a bit of RoM myself, and I can safely say that RoM AI is quite terrible as well. Not insulting developers, but its only natural when there is so much content added in and not enough work on AI to handle all that content.

Top Bottom