Civ 6 freezes at the initial loading screen

Hi all, wanted to add my two cents

For Windows 10 Anniversary adding the Civ VI folder to exclusions (In General -> Update & Security -> Windows Defender -> Add an exclusion) has solved the load issues in full for me

This work-around allows you to keep Windows Defender running for those who do not know how to end it. I chose this route myself.

Have any of you tried simply waiting for 10 minutes?

That worked for me.

It's back to normal loading times after going through some sort of slog once.

I'm betting it's some sort of debug flag that they forgot to remove. Some sort of "safe mode" or "safe startup" that is enabled after a crash.

+1

Experienced the same problem issue. Fine weekand and tonight sloow start and freeze... But after several reboots and actually letting it wait out it's back to normal! Did not make any changes in any windows settings.

I use Win 7 and changed settings for Allowed programs in Windows Firewall and allowed Sid Meier's Civilization VI to the Public network. Same settings as for Sid Meier's Civilization V.

Control Panel | Windows Firewall | Allow a program or feature etc.,,,, Scroll down until you see the entry for Sid Meier's Civilization VI, click it, press Change settings, check all boxes and press OK. Hopefully this perma solves it.

The solution i seen is make steam/civ 6 as exempted in windows defender/microsoft security essentials.

Just had this problem during my third game. Added the Civ VI folder to Windows Defender exclusions and it now works fine. This info should be pinned at the top somehow.

Everyday it's something different:

Sometimes it works fine;
Sometimes it freezes at the loading screen;
Sometimes it freezes at the continue screen;
Sometimes it freezes when loading the savegame...

Today it was something new. I launched the game, a window "Preparing to launch Sid Meier's Civ VI" appears, and then disappears, and then appears, and then disappears, and so on...

Hope there's a patch or something official soon

Just had this problem during my third game. Added the Civ VI folder to Windows Defender exclusions and it now works fine. This info should be pinned at the top somehow.

please, which directory should I add?

Suddenly now having same issue (game worked all weekend). For me the only thing that has changes is Nvidia released new drivers today, so now after updating my game wont start?

The game ran fine for several days but now won't load. It stops working correctly on the disclaimer screen where we choose 'continue'. None of the graphics show...they just flicker in the background. My PC is up to date on the video and sounds drivers but the graphics have flickered since I got the game. NVidia GTX 680 (2).

The game ran fine for several days but now won't load. It stops working correctly on the disclaimer screen where we choose 'continue'. None of the graphics show...they just flicker in the background. My PC is up to date on the video and sounds drivers but the graphics have flickered since I got the game. NVidia GTX 680 (2).

I would check AA settings. The game really dislikes anything but the default 8x MSAA. Causes all sorts of flickering.

Check that GeForce Experience doesn't set up some silly config for it (and please uninstall it if you have it, it's atrocious), and check for the same in the nVIDIA control panel, if you have it. Then add an exception to Windows Defender (or any other anti-virus software) that includes both the CIV6 directory and the executable.

Thanks Sic... I don't use Windows Defender and nVidia AA is off. The game ran fine until late this afternoon. Now the disclaimer page won't show the graphics - the Civilization at the top and two companies below. It just shows ' continue' and when I click on that, the game crashes. Waiting doesn't work. I did see a post claiming that Civ folks made changes to the game today. And have never seen the GeForce Experience - just use the nVidia control panel.

Edit: Got the game to run and Sic was right .... wait much longer than you think it should take at each step. It took almost five minutes after clicking on 'continue' for the game to load the next screen. Then when I chose to 'resume' my game ... it took over five minutes to do so. This is way longer than it had been taking.

Last edited:
FWIW this problem seems to have magically cleared up on its own... for now. Load times are back to being very quick, and there is no hanging during the load screen with Sean Bean's narration.

I don't know what changed since it doesn't appear there has been a patch.

FWIW I have the game installed on an SSD. Anyone else?

Ever since Windows vista, the 'program files' directory is a special protected directory that is not allowed to be accessed without special permissions. If a game uses that for storing saved game files it can cause problems. This is why most games these days store save data in the users data folders.

FWIW this problem seems to have magically cleared up on its own... for now. Load times are back to being very quick, and there is no hanging during the load screen with Sean Bean's narration.

I don't know what changed since it doesn't appear there has been a patch.

FWIW I have the game installed on an SSD. Anyone else?

I actually had to reinstall my game after my graphic card updated, and this time I installed it on my SSD (I accidentally installed it on my standard drive the first time) and so far so good.

Game has been working fine for the last two days. Changed a few settings in the nVIDIA Control Panel and added both the Steam and Civ6 folders to the exclusions of Windows Defender. So far...

Top Bottom