1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 List of Self-Imposed Handicaps

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AntSou, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Just the idea of deleting your settler and trying to conquer a CS made me smile though :)
    Civ Rev is kinda fun in that you can walk into a city if you get to it before turn 5.

Sometimes I play a few games with all these "rules" but usually I just do whatever the heck I want to do!!
    Never Replay or Reload unless a crash or major misclick and usually I just say screw it if I misclicked.

2. Leucarum

Leucarum Prince

For me it depends on difficulty level. I'm still improving my deity game so I don't give myself handicaps there.

In contrast if I want to try out new strategies or roleplay a civ, I'll usually roll Emperor and there I tend to follow a 'no offensive wars' and 'no chopping except for district/wonder placement' self-imposed ruleset to keep things interesting.

I reload my game if I made a misclick or forgot about an unit automoving to its destination getting into trouble. But otherwise the load screen is way too annoying for save scumming to be remotely tempting.

3. Temppu

Temppu Warlord

Probably my biggest self-made handicap is always investing in Religion, even when going for Science or Domination. I find Religious game pretty fun, even though I keep hearing that its not worth the investment in an efficient play.

4. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Warlord

Hi. As I said, I’m not sure if you can in VI. I’ve done it in civ V. With Germany you could flip barbs to your side IIRC. And create an army, then captupre a city state.
    Theres a great general in VI who could flip barbs, but you need an encampment first. So again, I’m not sure. Maybe on settler difficulty? ;) Its impossible on immortal-deity as city states get walls on turn 1

Or, but this is situational, if you start as the netherlands on a true start location Europe map, and germany spawns next to you, you could delete your settler and try to kidnap germany’s settler who is about to settle Aachen

Also, theres a chance a goody hut gives you a scout.

You could also mess with the game file, and give yourself a free slinger or something...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  5. Pure24

Pure24 Warlord

A few ones I like to do:

- role playing as much as possible. Includes building that wonder a civ is known for, as has been mentioned. So beeline it whenever possible, that wonder is 'yours', you must have it.
    - always found a religion for 'religious' civs, even when not going for that route. And once you have a religion, make sure all your cities have it
    - not too strict on chops, but I like the old lumber mill rule. So never chop a woods/rainforests along rivers, not even for a seemingly irresistible district (or districts).
    For those not next to rivers, you can chop once to rush something you need yesterday, otherwise no strategic chopping. Only do it if you need the space for something (or removing rainforests for appeal).
    - do not use Reyna/Moksha to buy districts.
    - no switching out techs/civics. If your civilisation cannot eureka/inspire it, then just hard research it. If they can, it becomes a fascinating race of trying to achieve it before you finish the research, like internal factions competing for ways of discovering tech/civics
    - if going peaceful, no pillaging. If warring, never declare peace! And only pillage for healing and traders.
    In a peaceful game, only loyalty flipping is allowed. If at war and then you declare peace, you can never enter that territory for battle/pillaging again. Exception exists for 'revenge'.
    - aesthetics: I never build spaceports next to the city centre. I love the idea of farmers looking up and seeing a space launch. Airports must also be as far away from other worked tiles as possible. I view industrial zones next to Holy Sites as 'clashing'; sites must be in a serene region for meditation